Table 310.15(B)(6) and generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Mine not much difference, the thing only has a 1000W heater. I have seen others that could possibly be near 50% of the total load on a service.
Okay...

But it doesn't matter. Say it was 50% of the load. The point is, where is there a loss of diversity by shedding the hot tub?

S'mise

I would say NO you cant use the table simply because its for the "entire load of the residence"

But believe you should be alowed to do so (many AHJ's agree)

Then again, I have seen AC condensers added later, rendering a previous 310.15 (b)(6) sizing a violation.

kwired

Electron manager
Okay...

But it doesn't matter. Say it was 50% of the load. The point is, where is there a loss of diversity by shedding the hot tub?

Is there a loss of diversity or a potential change of diversity?

I understand there will be less potential load by shedding, still doesn't change the fact that 310.15(B)(7) is only for conductors supplying the entire dwelling load. Remove part of the load in any way and you are no longer supplying the entire dwelling load.

I would have no problem shedding certain loads myself and still use the table for conductor sizing, but if I want to follow the rules as they are written, I don't think that practice is compliant.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
.... Remove part of the load in any way and you are no longer supplying the entire dwelling load.

It is plainly evident your statement is a contradiction of terms. If I effectively remove a load, the entire dwelling load becomes the remaining connected load.

220.60 Noncoincident Loads. Where it is unlikely that
two or more noncoincident loads will be in use simultaneously,
it shall be permissible to use only the largest
load(s) that will be used at one time for calculating the total
load of a feeder
or service.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is there a loss of diversity or a potential change of diversity?

I understand there will be less potential load by shedding, still doesn't change the fact that 310.15(B)(7) is only for conductors supplying the entire dwelling load. Remove part of the load in any way and you are no longer supplying the entire dwelling load.

I would have no problem shedding certain loads myself and still use the table for conductor sizing, but if I want to follow the rules as they are written, I don't think that practice is compliant.

By that logic, one would be in violation anytime they disconnected a load from there house whether on generator or Utility power.

Status
Not open for further replies.