Disconnect for detached garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
There is a house with an overhead service and the utilities kwh meter mounted on the house. There is no disconnect on the outside of the house. If I put a detached garage and want to run underground to it and put a 100 amp panel in it, do I need to add a disconnect by the meter socket at the house and run a 4 wire service to the garage or can I get by with running a 3 wire directly from the meter socket to the panel in the garage? Thx.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
How are you going to double up under the lugs of the Meter Base.

Why cant the detached garage be fed from the existing panel in the house?

John120/240

That is how I would do it.

Why feed directly from the meter, maybe the panel is in a finished area. The panel may be full or replacement breakers may not

be avaiable

I can't imagine two barrel lugs in the meter cans that we use (200 A )

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician

I think there is room to double up. The house has a 100 amp panel in it.

I thought about coming directly from the panel but it's in a finished wall.

renosteinke

I thought the code changes a few cycles back (2005? 2008?) closed this loophole - that now you had to run 4 wires to the detached building, treat it as a 'sub.'

As for the disconnect, I'm accustomed to places using the Building Code/ Fire Code to require an outside disconnect for ant building with more than one circuit.

Anyway, that's what I would do ... change the service drop to have two breakers (one for house, one for garage), and feed the garage with 4 wires. I'd have a disco at the garage as well.

Finally, don't forget about ground rods at the garage.

kwired

Electron manager
I thought the code changes a few cycles back (2005? 2008?) closed this loophole - that now you had to run 4 wires to the detached building, treat it as a 'sub.'

It did, but that was for feeders. What the OP has will be a service if he does it the way he described.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I think there is room to double up. The house has a 100 amp panel in it.

I thought about coming directly from the panel but it's in a finished wall.

From the sound of your reply, your thinking about shoving another wire into the lug along with the existing.
You cant do this if the Lug is not rated to accept (2) conductors.
All of the meter bases around here have saddle type lugs which are only suitable for 1 conductor and what your describing would not be allowed.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
On another note, The Authorities having jurisdiction around here will not let you travel more than 6' beyond the Load side of the meter to the first means of Overcurrent Protection. Therefore, here , you would have to find a set of double barrel lugs for the load side of the meter somehow,then you then could use 3 wire for up to 6' to the overcurrent protection device, then you'd have to install a 4 wire feeder to the detached garage and then you'd have to argue why your means of disconnects werent grouped together at the same location since you have 1 outside and 1 inside.

I'm like the previous poster suggested. I'd rebuild the service with a Combo Meter Main/Mains and be done with it.

but thats just me.

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
On another note, The Authorities having jurisdiction around here will not let you travel more than 6' beyond the Load side of the meter to the first means of Overcurrent Protection. JAP>

Is that an amendment or his using his powers inappropriately or is he thinking once it enters the building. NEC allows it.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
There are different cities around that have thier own requirements (As Ammendments I guess).
Each are a little different.

So around here, doing it the way the OP was stating it would have to turn into a Feeder almost immediately.

How would you extend the service from an Existing Meter to a detached garage that was 50' away?
Around here if you tap the Load Side of the Meter youd have to put the Overcurrent Protection device within 6' then it becomes a 4 wire feeder to the garage.

If the power company was to somehow let you tap the line side of the meter and extend it to the detached garage (Which isnt going to happen) you'd have to treat the garage as a seperate service and install another meter at detached garage and pay a seperate meter bill for that seperate structure (Which isnt going to happen).

None of this is making sense to me.

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If you tap the load side of the meter then you do not need a disconnect until it enters the building. So as long as the meter is outside then you can run unfused conductor out to the detached structure no matter how far-- not any different then the poco does.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Wow, that's interesting.
That don't happen around here.
And kinda glad it doesnt.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
So whats the point of all the fused disconnects or 3r Enclosed Circuit Breakers that are below the meters on Poles that are 100-200' from the structures that they feed that you see all over the United States?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So whats the point of all the fused disconnects or 3r Enclosed Circuit Breakers that are below the meters on Poles that are 100-200' from the structures that they feed that you see all over the United States?
IMO, that is not necessary.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
So the way to bring all of the old 3 wire feeders up to code that are now unacceptable would be to go out and remove the Fused Disconnect or Enclosed Breaker , Install a 3r Junction Box and Extend the now "Service Wires" to the Load side of the Meter and take the Disconnect or Breaker and nail it on the house and change the Feeder from the Disconnect to the Panel to 4 wire.

I'm going to have to say in this instance the "Ammenders" are making a lot more sense than the "Code Makers".

JAP.

renosteinke

Dennis, this looks like another area where you and I will have to agree to disagree.

IMO, you need a disco, or at least an overload device, as soon as you leave the meter. With the tamper-resistant ring locks and law changes, the days where you can just pop out the meter are long gone- and I'm far to much a believer in Murphy's law.

I really hate the idea of a wire I can't turn off.

There's just too much that can go wrong.

To paraphrase mothers everywhere ... if the PoCo jumped off a cliff, would you follow? :D

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Dennis, this looks like another area where you and I will have to agree to disagree.

IMO, you need a disco, or at least an overload device, as soon as you leave the meter. With the tamper-resistant ring locks and law changes, the days where you can just pop out the meter are long gone- and I'm far to much a believer in Murphy's law.

Need? Based on what? The NEC requires a means to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the service-entrance conductors. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location either outside of the building or structure or inside at the nearest point of entrance of the service conductors.

I really hate the idea of a wire I can't turn off.

You can't "turn off" the service conductors regardless of where the disconnecting means is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.