Faxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummed

Unfortunately, some people still want things faxed to them, including the power company I deal with (PSE&G). I do not have a fax machine nor do I have a landline to fax through. I assume that I am not the only one...?

I'm sick of going out and using Kinkos to fax. I know there are ways to fax from your computer, I was wondering if anyone used a service that they like and could recommend?

FWIW, I don't have a scanner either so I would have to take a digital picture of the document and fax that.

brian john

Unfortunately, some people still want things faxed to them, including the power company I deal with (PSE&G). I do not have a fax machine nor do I have a landline to fax through. I assume that I am not the only one...?

I'm sick of going out and using Kinkos to fax. I know there are ways to fax from your computer, I was wondering if anyone used a service that they like and could recommend?

FWIW, I don't have a scanner either so I would have to take a digital picture of the document and fax that.

Is this typical of small shops? While we do not use the fax machine as often as we use to I cannot imagine operating without one.

Strummed

Pretty much everything I do is digital. Estimates, invoices, permits, paying taxes, etc.

The last thing I want is something that is going to print paper, I don't want to have to store paper!! :D

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Pretty much everything I do is digital. Estimates, invoices, permits, paying taxes, etc. ...
If all your documentation is digital, I don't understand why you would have to take a picture of the document. You simply convert the document to a file format that the internet faxing service accepts. PDF is a good bet. If the application used to create the digital document doesn't convert directly to PDF, use a print-to-pdf utility application.

The part that is the hardest is when documents require signatures. The computer world is slow to make the transition to 'digital' signatures... but it is possible, and getting better and easier as time progresses.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I scan to a pdf file and send it by email. Usually that works.
I believe the idea is to be paperless. There are pros and cons, which I don't care to get into. I have to fill out digitally provided forms all the time. Printing out these forms just to scan them would be ludicrous if the intent is to be paperless.

I use to fax from my computer quite a bit. Just requires a voice/data/fax modem, an active phone line, and fax software. Microsoft Fax used to be included on Windows. Don't know about the more recent versions as I have not faxed anything since Windows XP.

But otherwise, emailing documents attached in digital format has pretty much replaced faxing. For any entity wanting documents faxed, I usually just call them up and ask about emailing the doc's, and get the email address. Many times I am ready to email before calling and have them verify receipt while I am still on the phone.

Last edited:

wolfman56

We've used Ring Central for years now and like it. For $9 per month you have internet fax service. When a fax comes in it gets sent to you as an email PDF file. We send out faxes easily using the scanner on our printer. They have several telephone options you could try. One contractor I know has his company phone numbers through Ring Central, then forwarded to their cell phones. This way he easily sets up whomever is on call at night or the weekend, to forward to the tech's cell phone.

We bought a printer/scanner with a document feeder so it works out same way as using a fax!

RW

Strummed

If all your documentation is digital, I don't understand why you would have to take a picture of the document. You simply convert the document to a file format that the internet faxing service accepts. PDF is a good bet. If the application used to create the digital document doesn't convert directly to PDF, use a print-to-pdf utility application.

The part that is the hardest is when documents require signatures. The computer world is slow to make the transition to 'digital' signatures... but it is possible, and getting better and easier as time progresses.
I handle signatures just fine with my iPad. What I don't have is a way to fax. Do you have a recommendation of an Internet fax service that you have used?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I handle signatures just fine with my iPad. What I don't have is a way to fax. Do you have a recommendation of an Internet fax service that you have used?
No, I do not. As I stated in another post, I haven't faxed anything since Windows XP. i don't know exactly how long its been, at least five years... feels more like ten ;)

I have looked at intenet faxing on occasions such as yours, but cannot make a recommendation because that's when I usually call the intended recipient and ask about emailing. I've yet to run across one that hasn't accepted an email as an alternative.

nhfire77

Ring Central. http://www.ringcentral.com

Cheap, easy, allows you to stay paperless. It's the best way to send and receive faxes, plus they do phone services. The phone services allow unlimited flexibility for call forwarding/and control.

They have IPhone, iPad and android apps.

I'm sure there are other very similar services, they were one of the first.

stevenje

Get a land line and a fax/copier/scanner machine. They are cheap to buy. It is just part of doing business. Every time you have to run to Kinkos to send a fax it costs you money. The cost of one trip to Kinkos would pay your monthly land line phone bill.

Strummed

Get a land line and a fax/copier/scanner machine.
No.

It is just part of doing business.
No, it is not. There are alternatives. Other people (ie, not you) have given good advice about those alternatives.

Every time you have to run to Kinkos to send a fax it costs you money. The cost of one trip to Kinkos would pay your monthly land line phone bill.
Which is why I am looking for a way to do it via the internet. Did you not read any of the thread? :roll::roll::roll:

__dan

Looks like the D 550 does not have fax. I have the Canon D 480 which does have standalone fax and routinely goes on sale for $150. Have seen them as low as $80 on sale (slickdeals). Amazon listed the D 550 as the newer version of the D 480 but that's not right, no fax. The network printing is flakey but the USB connection works with no fuss. Awesome machine for $150 (D 480).

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...multifunction/black_white_laser_multifunction

Status
Not open for further replies.