Two wire romex ok for new branch circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That is my point. If it is a receptacle and if it is connected to a 15 or 20 branch circuit, the code requires it to be a grounding type receptacle.

Unless it is considered as an "internal" connection within the UL-listed Central Vac system rather than a receptacle. If is it fed from the Vac controller rather than from a panel, its wiring may not be a branch circuit under the NEC in the first place.

I think that the example of the internal receptacle and plug-attached fan inside a built-in exhaust fan housing really is a good comparison.

And if you say that ultimately, the vac connector is fed from a 15 or 20 amp branch circuit, I would argue that you could then just as easily assert that a normal duplex receptacle was fed from a 200A main, in addition to being fed from a 20A branch circuit breaker.

Last edited:
Unless it is considered as an "internal" connection within the UL-listed Central Vac system rather than a receptacle.
It's not really internal, the wiring is in the walls of the house.

If is it fed from the Vac controller rather than from a panel, its wiring may not be a branch circuit under the NEC in the first place.
From what I've seen, it's fed from the closest receptacle.

I think that the example of the internal receptacle and plug-attached fan inside a built-in exhaust fan housing really is a good comparison.
With all due respect to Dennis, I don't think that example works here. You are talking about the inside of an enclosed device that is listed for use in that exact fashion, vs. a product that's wiring is completely exposed and run inside of the walls of a dwelling.

As an example, what if a DVD player and Television had a 120V interconnection that powered the TV from the DVD player via a 2-wire piece of zip cord, could you run that through the wall?

480sparky

Is that not a receptacle connected to a 15 or 20 amp branch circuit?

And then the NEC turns right around and reverses that.

(B) To Be Grounded. Receptacles and cord connectors that have equipment grounding conductor contacts shall have those contacts connected to an equipment grounding conductor.

C-vacs receps do not have a grounding conductor contact.

ETA: It also might be that they're considered "Inlets", and not receptacles. it also might be because the end of the NM is terminated in a nylon connector, and that may not be a 'receptacle' by the NEC.

526L_100.jpg

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So address my other two possibilities.
I don't see how it can be an inlet...you have to have an outlet as the supply. You connect a supply to an inlet.
As far as it being a receptacle under the NEC...not sure...that is why I asked if it was.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I don't see how it can be an inlet...you have to have an outlet as the supply. You connect a supply to an inlet.
As far as it being a receptacle under the NEC...not sure...that is why I asked if it was.

I would not call it a receptical as far as NEC is conscerned. I would say it is part of a listed assembly. The directions show it being taped off of a branch circuit receptical and not a continuation of the branch circuit

kwired

Electron manager
"Two wire romex ok for new branch circuit?"
I reread the OP and don't see the word "new" anyplace in that post:?

I would not call it a receptical as far as NEC is conscerned. I would say it is part of a listed assembly. The directions show it being taped off of a branch circuit receptical and not a continuation of the branch circuit

Exactly. It is listed and most likely the instructions that go with the listing tell us to do exactly what most do even if they did not read the instructions. It is not like they put a 5-15 or 5-20 (I guess those would be grounding type but you know what I am getting at) receptacle there so it will not be used for general use purposes. Nobody is going to go to local hardware store and find some kind of cheater adapter to use it for general purpose use either.

As far as it being an inlet - that is referring to the vacuum line not the power receptacle attached to it. It is a receptacle, just happens to be intended as a specific use receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I bet that outlet is not TR either---:lol:

I have hooked up many of them and don't see an issue with it as long as it is a listed product. Nothing else can get plugged into it and no equipment grounding conductor is needed for the vac.

Somehow I don't think this is where the op was going

kwired

Electron manager
I bet that outlet is not TR either---:lol:

I have hooked up many of them and don't see an issue with it as long as it is a listed product. Nothing else can get plugged into it and no equipment grounding conductor is needed for the vac.

Somehow I don't think this is where the op was going

I don't think it is where the OP was going either, but now we will have some changes proposed to the 2017 related to this:happyyes:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

It is in the title of the post

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Where in the code does it state that an equipment grounding conductor must be run with the circuit conductors? If I had a two wire romex cable (hot and neutral wire), is it allowable to use it as a branch circuit with non-grounding type receptacles? Thanks

It is in the title of the post
This is the tread title.

[h=2]
Two wire romex ok for new branch circuit?
:)[/h]

mwm1752

250.114 would req an EGC in most cases in residetiial wiring. 250.130 deals with the extension seems to lean toward having an ECG at the extension termination using the options. This is not a replacement issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.