AHJ's mandating two ground rods or testing - how STOP them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Speaking of lightning, does anyone know a good book or manual on it? I have had customers ask why lightning did this and didn't do that when a path seemed obvious but was not followed. I always told them "I don't know. Lightning follows its own rules, if any".

probably the best place to start is wikipedia, under lightning.

there is a ton of good information in the article, and enough links to keep you happy for a while.
probably more good info there than anywhere else i've seen.

the real source of the unpredictability is the ionized air currents
that occur before the strike.

kwired

Electron manager
Speaking of lightning, does anyone know a good book or manual on it? I have had customers ask why lightning did this and didn't do that when a path seemed obvious but was not followed. I always told them "I don't know. Lightning follows its own rules, if any".
First thing to remember is that there are high frequencies involved, and when you consider that resistive impedance may seem obvious the inductive and capacitive impedance at those frequencies may not be all that obvious. This is probably what makes a lightning event take paths you would maybe least suspect.

kwired

Electron manager
Check with your utility, ours are required to be apart as long as the ground rod is.
Utilities generally only care that there is one rod. Some do want a rod even though there may be a CEE or other electrode that naturally has less resistance than a rod though.

kwired

Electron manager
Both Nat Grid and NYSEG require 2 rods
Do they also install two at every pole or other structure on their distribution system? They have so many rods tied to their system that they generally do not have more than 1 at any particular structure. Their low impedance to ground comes from the fact that they have so many rods scattered everywhere on the system. Our NEC installations just happen to be bonded to the same low impedance system.

Flex

Do they also install two at every pole or other structure on their distribution system? They have so many rods tied to their system that they generally do not have more than 1 at any particular structure. Their low impedance to ground comes from the fact that they have so many rods scattered everywhere on the system. Our NEC installations just happen to be bonded to the same low impedance system.

No just one at the pole. Dont know why they want 2 rods, also they require a continuous loop from panel to both rods back to panel. Underwriters wont pass unless that is done.

kwired

Electron manager
No just one at the pole. Dont know why they want 2 rods, also they require a continuous loop from panel to both rods back to panel. Underwriters wont pass unless that is done.
I have done many installs where a CEE is the only electrode used. My guess is they still want a rod (two in your case) at the meter.:thumbsdown:

I see you are near where I live. I thought that GEC loop thru the rods and back was a requirement for years but It is not. I stopped doing it years ago and have never had a problem from utility or inspectors. Just trying to save you some copper!

Flex

I see you are near where I live. I thought that GEC loop thru the rods and back was a requirement for years but It is not. I stopped doing it years ago and have never had a problem from utility or inspectors. Just trying to save you some copper!

Just went to a code seminar at the Colonie Elks for the IAEI. A rep from NYSEG was there as well as MDIA inspection agency. They said that for now two ground rods with a loop were required. Apparently NYSEG and Grid are re-writing there requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.