Paint over screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone here have a good trick for getting out device (receptacle, switch, etc.) screws that have been painted over?

We were in an apartment were the paint on the receptacles was so thick you couldn't get an ice cube tester in them. The screws were painted over and digging the paint out was painstaking to nearly impossible. Just getting the screws out added up to 20 minutes or more per device.

I just dug them out with a screwdriver and did my best. I had plenty of time to ponder my dilemma, though.

Has anyone tried using a heat gun to soften the paint in the screw slots? If so, how easy is it to damage the surrounding paint?

Does anyone know of a tool made especially for clearing dried paint out of screw slots?

These receptacles are 12 inches AFF with not long enough conductors and a PITA to work on even if the screws cooperated. Anything to reduce the time working on these would be appreciated.

iwire

Staff member
31tExVXIbeL.jpg

Not sure if describing this makes sense, but I use the corner of a screwdriver tip to push the paint out of the slot- line up the tip with the slot with the corner at the end of the slot , hit shaft down near the tip with kleins. Pushes the paint sideways through the slot where it can easily get out the other end. Doesn't seem to damage the screw, either. Does not work for phillips screws, of course.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Not sure if describing this makes sense, but I use the corner of a screwdriver tip to push the paint out of the slot- line up the tip with the slot with the corner at the end of the slot , hit shaft down near the tip with kleins. Pushes the paint sideways through the slot where it can easily get out the other end. Doesn't seem to damage the screw, either. Does not work for phillips screws, of course.

That's what I do.

Well described.

Me too, except when I have my razor knife in my hand, (from scoring around the painted on cover plate), then I usually give the slots 1 or 2 shots with the point of the blade. If that's not sufficient refer back to quote above.

1 other thing that will sometimes work very quickly and nicely is rapping the head of the screw with a blunt object (side of linesmans). Paint may chip right off and out. Just have to be carefull not to damage anything else!

drspec

Interesting!!

Have you actually used them on #6 beveled slot tip screws? If they work as advertised (I checked out their site) they would be the cat's meow for old apartments.
I don't see why they wouldn't work with those screws. I have used them on all types in the past. The most recent was replacing ballasts and covers in concrete encased step lights. These lights were corroded. A lot of the screws were rusted in place and it worked perfect for removing those.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Me too

Occupation
Inspector

Me too, I think we are up to 5 :D

mivey

I use the chisel method and tap the end of the handle with my Kleins while holding the screwdriver at an angle. For Phillips, use a sharp nail, screw, or knife tip to get most of the paint then tap the Phillips into the slot to seat before turning. Old plastic covers can break easily so the amount of finesse goes up with the value of the old plate of course. Damaged screws may get hit with the Dremel or Rotozip to make a slot (Dremel with wand is more precise). Broken screws: Kleins or drill or punch & re-tap, or whatever else comes to mind.

mivey

Count me in on the "me too" group.

If you were to use heat to soften paint in any way, I would maybe suggest one of those "micro" torches so you can direct the heat to a pretty small spot.
Soldering iron if you must.

mike7330

Count me in on the "me too" group.

If you were to use heat to soften paint in any way, I would maybe suggest one of those "micro" torches so you can direct the heat to a pretty small spot.

Me to camp!
Also I have found that if you are replacing receptacle I have just bashed the face of the receptacle with my linemans and the plate pops off clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.