120 gal water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I am looking at a job where a 120 gal storage type electric water heater needs to be relocated to provide clearance for some other equipment.
In discussion with the G/C he advised on another job "an inspector (unknown trade)" required them to maintain a 18" clearance from all points of an identical electric water heater as it "required by the (his words) International Electric Code"

I can find no such requirement in researching Codes I have at my disposal.
Does anyone know of a required clearance for an electric storage water heater (other than working clearance for any controls, etc) ?

On a side note there was some discussions concerning electric hot water boilers. When does an electric water heater become a hot water "boiler" ?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I am looking at a job where a 120 gal storage type electric water heater needs to be relocated to provide clearance for some other equipment.
In discussion with the G/C he advised on another job "an inspector (unknown trade)" required them to maintain a 18" clearance from all points of an identical electric water heater as it "required by the (his words) International Electric Code"

Does anyone know of a required clearance for an electric storage water heater (other than working clearance for any controls, etc) ?

On a side note there was some discussions concerning electric hot water boilers. When does an electric water heater become a hot water "boiler" ?

IMC 1004.3 Working clearance is 18 inches for boilers. Section 1002 covers water heaters for potable water and 1002.2 covers water heaters utilized for space heating and does not require the 18 " clearance. unless the manufacturer requires it

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer

IMHO that happens when the hot water is used for space or equipment heating (often in a closed system) rather than just as hot water.
I don't think the water has to even get close to boiling. :happyno:

http://www.recampus.com/documents/book12_c01.pdf

If it is a boiler, it will have an ASME "H" stamp on it and the installation will be required to comply with ASME CSD-1.

kwired

Electron manager
And anymore a "boiler" doesn't hold very much water at one time, maybe steam producing boilers do but not domestic / light commercial heating boilers.

cadpoint

Beside the exact aspects of the op. I thought that mechanical had the same dedicated space reqirements as electrical - 3'-0" .

IE -We can't block or cross over any of their equipment panel.

Last edited:

renosteinke

The Mechanical Code has the definition - over a certain number of BTU's and it's a boiler. That is, classification is determined by the size of the heating element, not by the storage capacity.

120 gallon? Even if this particular one is OK as wired, I'd run oversize wires to the new location. Why? So that a later replacement might be one with a 'quicker recovery,' or larger heating elements.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd run oversize wires to the new location. Why? So that a later replacement might be one with a 'quicker recovery,' or larger heating elements.

Best run 3 or 4 60 amp circuits and increase the service size while at it just in case they change to an on demand type heating unit sometime down the road.:happyyes:

renosteinke

Let's consider, for the moment ....

My 40-gal water heater can easily be fed by a 30-amp circuit. I have not been able to find a 40-gal water heater that cannot be fed by that same circuit. Likewise, the recovery rate of a 40-gal water heater is somewhere near 55gph. You've got two elements, arranged so only one is on at any time.

Up the capacity to 120 gallons, and the story changes - considerably, even within the same series from the same maker.

For example, Rheem has their ES120 series. That model is available (120-gal capacity) in a variety of wattages, from 6KW to 81KW. Put another way, that heater can have anything from 3-2KW elements to 9-9KW elements. The recovery rates vary from 157gph to 558gph.

That last one - 558gph - is notable, because at 276,000-BTU, it's well past the (IIRC) 200,000-BTU line into "boiler" territory. Now the thing is required to be in a special room, and additional controls are required.

At the other extreme, Rheem has a "homeowner" model 82V120-2, which has a 120-gal tank but a puny 21gph recovery. IMO, this is a prescription for trouble; Fill the tub once, and it's wait, wait, wait.

You've got to pull the wire. It's a lot better to do it while the walls are open. Both pipe and wire are rather cheap, in terms of the total job cost. Do you really want the customer to be forced to tear open the walls when he needs a better heater? Wouldn't it be nicer if your pipe was just a size larger, and you could simply pull in the new wires? Or, if you just happened to use #6 instead of #10?

I expect some clever sole is now itching to post "but you can't put a commercial water heater in a house." Wrong. The UMC specifically allows it. Residencial water heaters have to be UL Listed to either the 'residential' OR the 'commercial' (UL1453) standard. See ICC/UMC 1002. No 'listing and labelling' issue here.

The NEC say it's not the code's job to worry about tomorrow. That does not mean it's not your job, either. After all, if 'minimum code complaince' rules the car business, we'd all drive a Yugo.

kwired

Electron manager
Let's consider, for the moment ....

My 40-gal water heater can easily be fed by a 30-amp circuit. I have not been able to find a 40-gal water heater that cannot be fed by that same circuit. Likewise, the recovery rate of a 40-gal water heater is somewhere near 55gph. You've got two elements, arranged so only one is on at any time.

Up the capacity to 120 gallons, and the story changes - considerably, even within the same series from the same maker.

For example, Rheem has their ES120 series. That model is available (120-gal capacity) in a variety of wattages, from 6KW to 81KW. Put another way, that heater can have anything from 3-2KW elements to 9-9KW elements. The recovery rates vary from 157gph to 558gph.

That last one - 558gph - is notable, because at 276,000-BTU, it's well past the (IIRC) 200,000-BTU line into "boiler" territory. Now the thing is required to be in a special room, and additional controls are required.

At the other extreme, Rheem has a "homeowner" model 82V120-2, which has a 120-gal tank but a puny 21gph recovery. IMO, this is a prescription for trouble; Fill the tub once, and it's wait, wait, wait.

You've got to pull the wire. It's a lot better to do it while the walls are open. Both pipe and wire are rather cheap, in terms of the total job cost. Do you really want the customer to be forced to tear open the walls when he needs a better heater? Wouldn't it be nicer if your pipe was just a size larger, and you could simply pull in the new wires? Or, if you just happened to use #6 instead of #10?

I expect some clever sole is now itching to post "but you can't put a commercial water heater in a house." Wrong. The UMC specifically allows it. Residencial water heaters have to be UL Listed to either the 'residential' OR the 'commercial' (UL1453) standard. See ICC/UMC 1002. No 'listing and labelling' issue here.

The NEC say it's not the code's job to worry about tomorrow. That does not mean it's not your job, either. After all, if 'minimum code complaince' rules the car business, we'd all drive a Yugo.
I would say that 80 - 90% of the water heaters I have hooked up were in same mechanical room or similar area as the electric panel supplying them, so if there is a need to increase capacity it is not really that hard to do so.

Also when it comes to residential if more capacity is needed usually that means installing an additional 40 or 50 gallon unit instead of replacing the 40 or 50 gallon unit with a 120. Not all that uncommon around here to see a water heater that feeds a bathroom with a large whirlpool tub and nothing else, and additional water heater(s) for other portions of the house.

sparkyrick

Best run 3 or 4 60 amp circuits and increase the service size while at it just in case they change to an on demand type heating unit sometime down the road.:happyyes:

Might as well throw in a back-up generator too
evilB.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.