Irreversible connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is this a Supplemental Ground or the Main/Primary GEC?
AFAIK, if you need to drive a second pipe electrode because the first one failed the 25 ohm test or because of local regulation, you can designate either one of them as Primary.
In the OP's case, it would seem to make the most sense (depending on the exact geometry involved) to call the original, already wired, one the Primary, call the second one the supplemental, and run a bonding jumper from the new electrode to the old one. If the new one is closer to the panel than the old one, then just running an additional GEC straight from the second electrode to the bonding point in the panel would seem easier.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Personally I wouldn't use the terms primary and secondary. Are these terms defined in article 250?

dhalleron

I will fix it his way. Then in November I have a continuing education class with an instructor who has plenty of experience butting heads with this jurisdiction. I'll ask him what he thinks before I bring it up to the inspector.

I called an old friend of mine who has done electric work here since the late 1970's and he said they require continuous.

The funny thing is I already have 2 new ground rods in the ground. I got in a hurry and drove the first one near the meter before scouting things out. Here we cannot take the GEC to the meter like in Mike's drawing. It must go to the panel. Because the first one was a little hard to get back to the panel, I drove another one. Not too hard since I use my Bosch Roto Hammer to drive them now.

Doing it this inspector's way will cost about 20 feet of wasted #6 and about another 45 minutes maybe to go back to the panel.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Crimp requires special tools. Cadweld does not, but costs as much as if you had to buy a special tool anyway. :)
You are also limited as to where you can use it without starting a fire.

well, if you are doing a residence where you have a #6 ground,
cadweld has a one shot mold that is a throwaway.

last time i checked, cadweld requires a fire to be started every
time you use it....:p i don't think you can use it at all without
starting a fire.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I called an old friend of mine who has done electric work here since the late 1970's and he said they require continuous.

Doing it this inspector's way will cost about 20 feet of wasted #6 and about another 45 minutes maybe to go back to the panel.

Do they require continuous due to a local amendment or is it just because they've always misapplied the actual NEC requirement?

Daja7

don't know what size ground conductor you are using but if reisdential and ground rod it is #6 or maybe #4. we just buy a crimp sleeve. you can use your regular crimp pliers up to # 4 with no issue. we do it all the time never a turn down. about a dollar for materials and 30 seconds to crimp. that being said it is not required as stated in earlier posts. Run an additional acorn and a 6ft piece of copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.