does this look safe and up to code

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobsond

I found this in an installer zone on another site. The OP was actually proud of the install. He said the electrician homeowner wanted it there and mounted the dish for him. Needless to say the comments from other installers were not very kind. How many codes broken besides safety issue. If I drove up to this on a trouble call I would take a couple pictures and drive away until I got the Ok to install a new dish at the customers expense then report to the POCO. Does that sound about right.

Attachments

• dumb mount.jpg
    dumb mount.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It looks like a good install to me unless there is some kind of rule about being away from a stack a certain distance that is not met or there is a rule about not mounting them on a riser.

Neither seems like serious safety problems to me.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I would inform the homeowner that his roof will leak sooner than expected, due to the the satellite dish causing the conduit to rock more than normal because of the attached satalite dish

kwired

Electron manager
I think one could make an argument that it violates 230.28
230.28 definitely applies to this:

Kinda like this........................:lol:

But I think is less clear whether it applies to the dish in the OP. The dish is not a conductor or drop from other utilities like it is for the phone cables in little bills photos. I think maybe 300.11(B) gives us additional leverage to apply here, and would apply even if it were not a service riser.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Kinda like this........................:lol:
Is that duct tape around the cables at the foot of the riser? Or just roofing cement slapped on?
I do not see that the roofing cement over those cables is doing anything to improve the rain protection of the flashing and drip cap (which look a little flaky too.)

kwired

Electron manager
Naw just use 810.12, it's a more sure violation:thumbsup:
Works for me, I wasn't finding anything similar to prevent the telephone service drop being tied to the electric service mast in little bill's images. Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.