NEC 210.52(A)(2) Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you review the attached sketch, and let me know if a receptacle required at the location shown? (Though, I do not see any use for a receptacle at this location I believe one is required per NEC)

Attachments

• NEC 210.52(A)(2) Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets3.pdf
    2.9 KB · Views: 10

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can you review the attached sketch, and let me know if a receptacle required at the location shown? (Though, I do not see any use for a receptacle at this location I believe one is required per NEC)
There is definitely an outlet missing in the drawing, but as long as the doorway is not much more than 3' wide, you could probably substitute an outlet right near the hinge side of the door.
In fact, if you shift all of the receptacle in the room clockwise, starting with a six foot space by the closet and 12 feet between receptacles, you could tuck that last outlet neatly behind the door and not need a larger number than what is in the drawing.
Their positions would not be nearly as useful, but as a exercise it would seem to fit.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
There is definitely an outlet missing in the drawing, but as long as the doorway is not much more than 3' wide, you could probably substitute an outlet right near the hinge side of the door.
In fact, if you shift all of the receptacle in the room clockwise, starting with a six foot space by the closet and 12 feet between receptacles, you could tuck that last outlet neatly behind the door and not need a larger number than what is in the drawing.
Their positions would not be nearly as useful, but as a exercise it would seem to fit.
It's going to depend a lot on AHJ interpretation. A strict interpretation will require the receptacle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

How could either of these solutions comply with 210.52(A)(2)?

210.52(A)(2) Wall Space. As used in this section, a wall space shall
include the following:
(1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including
space measured around corners) and unbroken along
the floor line by doorways
and similar openings, fire-
places, and fixed cabinets

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
How could either of these solutions comply with 210.52(A)(2)?
Depends on how you read the section.
I interpret it first as that any space which is broken by a doorway does not count as a wall space for the purpose of the deciding whether the wall space is wider than the threshold of 2 feet. That is, a 23" wall on either side of a doorway would be neither a 46" wide space nor a space of 46" plus the width of the doorway.
I think we agree on that.

The slightly stickier part is whether the receptacle is required to be in the same individual wall space as the point from which you are measuring. If you see that as a requirement (which is quite reasonable), then the receptacle needed for points on the outside closet wall cannot be on the other side of the doorway. :thumbsup:

If the section had said
"...measured horizontally along the floor line from any point in a wall space to a receptacle outlet is more than 1.8 m (6 ft)" instead of
"...measured horizontally along the floor line of any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet", then I would argue harder for my interpretation.
If the code read
"...measured horizontally along the floor line of any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet in that wall space", then I would fold immediately.

The corresponding wording for countertop receptacles implicitly requires that the distance in question be along the same continuous countertop wall but does not say it in so many words. :)

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Wow ...:D

Talk about taking the exceedingly simple and complicating the heck out of it.

The rule is to prevent cords across door ways.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If the closet is built in, using normal wall construction, why couldn't this 2.5' area be considered a hallway?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The spot in question is surrounded by doors and is larger than 2' that means it must have a receptacle there.

Wow ...:D

Talk about taking the exceedingly simple and complicating the heck out of it.

The rule is to prevent cords across door ways.

I agree. A 2.5' section of wall needs a receptacle, as simple as that.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I would say not, a doorway is a common differentiator for hallways. But it makes no difference to my 'brainstorming', does it?

Nope just the continuing the speculation about what would happen the hallway becomes long enough to require a receptacle. At least you do not have to worry about sides or crossing doorways at that point.

Checked with AHJ (Inspector) and got his response

Checked with AHJ (Inspector) and got his response

Had to check with AHJ (Inspector)- who said "we do not need a receptacle there". His decision makes a lot sense to me, though I believe the code says that if the wall is 2ft or more, a receptacle is required. I really don't see any point of having a receptacle at this location, other than for plugging in a vaccum cleaner. This may tend to be a common installation question for apartment/ condo projects, which if installed will add some extra costs and bet more times than not, you won't see a receptacle here. I'd also like to think (or argue) that this area could be considered a hallway, but I don't think it could.

The NEC should perhaps clarify this with an example, or maybe someone should ask for an interpretation and the usefulness of a receptacle at a location like this.

Thanks, everyone had some good points.

JDB3

In some areas where I have worked, they have their own code, but have a phase in it that says whichever is stricter. In other words, they may not require it, but the NEC does.

Status
Not open for further replies.