Should the code require outdoor outlets to be on a separate 20-amp circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebell

If the NFPA follows the same time table for the 2017, as for previous codes, then proposals for the 2017 code would have to be received by the NFPA no later than 5pm November 7, 2014.

Be aware that this process has changed, Proposals are now called Public Input and NFPA wants you to submit them electronically.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Be aware that this process has changed, Proposals are now called Public Input and NFPA wants you to submit them electronically.
I see that if you don't want to do it online, you can still submit "public input" on paper, but the deadline would be 10/3/14. The 11/7/14 deadline is only for online "public input". "Public input" is the new name for what we have known as a "proposal".

kwired

Electron manager
I see that if you don't want to do it online, you can still submit "public input" on paper, but the deadline would be 10/3/14. The 11/7/14 deadline is only for online "public input". "Public input" is the new name for what we have known as a "proposal".
I like "proposal" better. Public input sounds more like a chat room and not as formal. I promise you if you don't follow some formalities your input is likely rejected pretty quickly.

renosteinke

I oppose any such proposal.

ALL outdoor receptacles on the same circuit? What's wrong with more than one circuit? Are you trying to sell wire, requiring a circuit to run laps around the house?

Christmas lights? Plan ahead. Sure, run a separate circuit; put receptacles in the eaves; even provide for a timer! Go for it. Let's not confuse "ideal" with "minimum," though.

If Christmas lights are your concern, of what value is it to require receptacles on the side and rear to be on the same circuit as the front receptacle?

Article 90 states it plainly: the NEC is about minimum safety, and has no interest in whether the result is practical or not. Customers have to realize that when you pay the least possible, that's exactly what you get.

iwire

Staff member

Glad to know that someone at the NFPA is busy with the important business of changing names of things for little to no reason.:roll:

Funny they want electronic submissions from us but have no issue burying us with paper catalogs mailed to our homes.

joebell

Glad to know that someone at the NFPA is busy with the important business of changing names of things for little to no reason.:roll:

Funny they want electronic submissions from us but have no issue burying us with paper catalogs mailed to our homes.

LOL isn't that the truth:lol:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Especially if you wire them string to string.
I saw an LED Xmas light string that warned against connecting more than 112 [sic] strings in series. :)

Tapatalk...

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
I know people with 240V/30A and even 60A circuits to feed their christmas lights (with a proper subpanel plugged in, located out in the yard). Others have 8 20A circuits for their lights. I, on the other hand have real candles in my Menorah. Hard to say what would be the "right" configuration.

/mike

hurk27

I wired a house a few years ago that not only had many receptacles in the eve as well as receptacles around the outside of the house each was on a separate 20 amp circuit (600 amp service with two 40 circuit 200 amp panels in the house and another 200 amp 40 cir. WP out in yard hidden in an island of landscaping).

Each area of landscaping has 4 receptacles each on its own 20 amp circuit, this house at Christmas time or any holiday for that matter would make Chevy Chase be in envy, he even has a full size Santa sleigh and reindeer's that is animated the looks like it is flying off the top of the house and the lights slowly fades away as it gets to the top, he also has smoke machines, and allot of the lights and animations are all controlled by a master PLC system with the music all in sync, he's a retired engineer who designed PLC control systems for many of the major manufactures around the world, I wish I had a good camcorder to do a video of his displays around his house, and he did this well before the guy in Ohio did his, I haven't been over there in a while maybe I'll drop in and take some photos this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.