Exterior receptacle is it legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The OP question was is this legal? I say no.

As to the siding guys would it be ok if they sided over an egress window because they have no GC?

That's like asking if it would be ok to drive a vehicle without insurance.
its probably not ok but I doubt the people that do such a thing would call you for your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Mike, tell us exactly how big you would want the opening to be to consider it in compliance.

Roger

Above I said that this should have been handled at plans review.

I also said that I hoped that the contractor would have shown some opening, on the plans, so I could have approved it or have a meeting of the minds as to what is reasonable.

"By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit
alternative methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining
effective safety."

This is clearly a judgment call. Someone looked at this and decided to say the 'h' with it and continue siding.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Well, if there were a violation it would be to the siding guys.

If I were the homeowner and you were going to cost me money to have this fixed I would simply tell you to go pound sand.

If it went any further I would then challenge to city as to why they allowed (licensed) a siding company that has no regards to damagng my home to do business and why the electrical inspector didn't catch this problem before the work took place.

Mike, tell us exactly how big you would want the opening to be to consider it in compliance.

Roger

if the siding guys were in violation, then there would have to be some type of set distance that the blocking had to be all the way around the receptacle.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Proposed objective standard:
1. Far enough back that the cover can be removed, and
2. Far enough back that the device can be removed and replaced using only standard tools.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
... shown some opening, on the plans, so I could have approved it or have a meeting of the minds as to what is reasonable.

So what size opening would be needed for you to have approved it?

Or should we continue to forever send drawings for plan review and have them rejected without explanation. I don't think a simple 'not big enough, try again' is much different of an answer than 'I don't like it'.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

I also said that I hoped that the contractor would have shown some opening, on the plans, so I could have approved it or have a meeting of the minds as to what is reasonable.

"By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit
alternative methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining
effective safety."

This is clearly a judgment call. Someone looked at this and decided to say the 'h' with it and continue siding.

So what size opening would be needed for you to have approved it?

Or should we continue to forever send drawings for plan review and have them rejected without explanation. I don't think a simple 'not big enough, try again' is much different of an answer than 'I don't like it'.

It is a modification. SO the contractor should offer a solution that meets the intent of the code. Now if the AHJ just summarily dismisses it then he is wrong.

Now it is not in the NEC, if this was a residential application/install the AHJ is REQUIRED to look at the following:

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st/oh/st/b4v06/st_oh_st_b4v06_1_sec001.htm?bu=OH-P-2011-000004

101.3 Intent.

The purpose of this code is to establish uniform requirements for the erection, construction, repair, alteration, and maintenance of residential buildings, including construction of industrialized units. Such requirements shall relate to the conservation of energy, safety and sanitation of buildings for their intended use and occupancy with consideration for the following:

1. Performance. Establish such requirements, in terms of performance objectives for the use intended. Further, the rules shall consider the following:

1.1. The impact that the state residential building code may have upon the health, safety and welfare of the public;

1.2. The economic reasonableness of the residential building code;

1.3. The technical feasibility of the residential building code; and

1.4. The financial impact that the residential building code may have on the public?s ability to purchase affordable housing.

Please notice how quickly the code addresses what I call common sense!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
dont look like we're going to get an answer as to how big the opening should have been.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
There is an answer! You and I as professionals could determine the size of the opening in less than 1/2 an hour.

Oddly enough I didnt like the looks of that sunken receptacle either when I first saw the picture of it and still dont.
it would be a PITA to work on and I would cuss whoever did it the whole time I was trying to repair it, saying what goof ball would let this happen, where the common sense?
The problem I see is that determining the size of the opening that is needed is left open to suggestion and thats where the wheels start falling off. Some might think its fine as it is because the opening is not defined and in the same breath others would think it rediculously boxed in in such a small blockout.

Problem I see is its hard to fail someone on something that is not specifically defined. Which in this case the clearances are not therefore it would just be your argument against the others.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
... I as professionals could determine the size of the opening in less than 1/2 an hour.

Then take the time and give us the size.

Absolutely, if an installation does not meet applicable codes, then the available legal and civil remedies should be applied.
However, along with the fines and forfeitures, the problem needs to be fixed.

So again,
How big do you say the opening has to be?

OK, I've decided to put an end to the "how big does the box have to be" question.:D

After careful (30 seconds) consideration I've decided that the access is to be determined by the depth of the box.

If the front of the electrical box is recessed 3" deep, then 3" is required from all 4 edges of the electrical box.

If the front of the electrical box is recessed 22" deep, then 22" is required from all 4 edges of the electrical box.

Any objections......:angel:

kwired

Electron manager

effective safety."

They actually require plans review for installing new siding? Hope they don't want a plans review if you are only painting the siding.

Proposed objective standard:
1. Far enough back that the cover can be removed, and
2. Far enough back that the device can be removed and replaced using only standard tools.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
The receptacle in question here should already meet condition 1, and may already meet condition 2, we really can't tell condition 2 just from looking at the photo.

There is an answer! You and I as professionals could determine the size of the opening in less than 1/2 an hour.
or 100+ posts?

On an opening the size we have here just an extra 1/2 inch on all sides makes a pretty big difference on how easy that becomes to work on, then you could possibly taper the sides of the opening and gain even easier access.

kwired

Electron manager
They could have said "we never use that, just go over it"

No can't just say we don't use it.

If:

EDIT: wrong code section cited below

372.13 Discontinued Outlets. When an outlet is abandoned,
discontinued, or removed, the sections of circuit
conductors supplying the outlet shall be removed from the
raceway. No splices or reinsulated conductors, such as
would be the case of abandoned outlets on loop wiring,
shall be allowed in raceways.
The owner can say "we don't use that", you as inspector however can tell them how they are not going to abandon it in that way.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
If the front of the electrical box is recessed 22" deep, then 22" is required from all 4 edges of the electrical box.
Any objections......:angel:

Yes,

Counter top receptacles rarely have 22" clearance from all 4" edges. It looks like we need an exception.:eek:hmy:

kwired

Electron manager
Yes,

Counter top receptacles rarely have 22" clearance from all 4" edges. It looks like we need an exception.:eek:hmy:
At same time they are usually not recessed into the wall they are mounted on. But if they would be inside an appliance garage, they may actually be more difficult to replace than the one in the OP.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
At same time they are usually not recessed into the wall they are mounted on.
Now you are getting into the definition of recessed.

Why couldn't you call receptacles in the back of cabinets (e.g. under a kitchen sink) as recessed? How different are they from the ones in the siding?

JFLOAT

Well here's an update. State Electrical inspector showed up and said there's no way in hell he will allow them. Says there not accessible and no way to service

Status
Not open for further replies.