how to use this tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PetrosA So according to 394.56, if I run out of wirenuts, I could still do a code compliant install using solder, friction tape and vinyl tape in my JBs and the inspector would have to accept it? Cool :)

I believe if properly done that it would be compliant. You might have an argument with the inspector though as it seems that some regard anything rare as being prohibited.

The section he quoted was a section on knob and tube wiring - soldered connections was the common practice with that wiring method, it was open splicing, but was supposed to be in free air and the porcelain knobs held it away from framing members. If you were bringing things into a box which typically was only done at switches or outlets then other connection methods was acceptable. Of course you generally needed insulating tubing enclosing the conductor where it entered the box.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Warning - absolutely nothing to do with stripper/crimper. Recommend delete before reading.

Stand the gas tank in a container of water heated to blood heat. Excessive heat can be dangerous, but blood heat is no warmer than the surroundings would be on a hot day.

BR - Have you tried this? I'm picturing 2 gallons of 100F water in a washtub and floating a 20lb bottle. I 'm certain it is enough heat. At -10F, it's enough to vaporize 6.5lbs - say 3lbs with loss to ambient. That's enough to run a 48k btu barbecue for 1 1/4 hours. And yes, the bottles do float. You have to keep the bottle from turning over of the liquid gets in the regulator. So one would need a couple of concrete blocks to hold it upright. Then deal with the water when you are done. Could work.

... My wife does a great job barbecuing at -30F. But she has me put an industrial hairdryer on the bottle and a blanket around both to keep the heat in.

We have a lot of practice at this. A 1500W heater and an old blanket work really well. 1500W is enough to vaporize 27 lbs/hour - about 10X needed to run a for a 48k btu barbecue. I keep the knob turned down to cool, so it doesn't burn the blanket. Works good. But we never leave unattended.

Still - may give your method a try:
If we go with 132F water (hot tap water), at -30F, 2 gallons hot water should give us 1.5 hours - might work.
plastic tub
two? concrete blocks (20+ lbs)
16 lbs 132F water
one blanket​

ice

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If we go with 132F water (hot tap water), at -30F, 2 gallons hot water should give us 1.5 hours - might work.
My next grill job will be on Feb 9th, burner should be firing for 4 hours. Hopefully not much below -5?F, when we start. :thumbsdown:

iceworm

Occupation
How about just an electric blanket normally used for a bed? Or would that not be enough energy?

I never tried one. But it's a good idea.

150W = 500btu/hr which gives 2.8 lbs/hr propane

So with 50% loss maybe need 300W?

I remember grandma's foot pad. Maybe something like that would be right.

ice

iceworm

Occupation
My next grill job will be on Feb 9th, burner should be firing for 4 hours. Hopefully not much below -5?F, when we start. :thumbsdown:

-5F, no sweat (pun intended:roll:)
Put the bottle inside for a few hours before :eek::eek: Danger Will Robinson, Danger

Fire it up and go

ice

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This may be a dumb question but why not use charcoal when it's too cold for propane?

I mean, the extent you all go to in order to heat the fuel makes me wonder. Is propane grilled meat tastier in the tundra than charcoal grilled meat?

Cuz it sure ain't here!!

:p

PetrosA

This may be a dumb question but why not use charcoal when it's too cold for propane?

I mean, the extent you all go to in order to heat the fuel makes me wonder. Is propane grilled meat tastier in the tundra than charcoal grilled meat?

Cuz it sure ain't here!!

:p

I was just gonna ask the same question. I'm a hardwood charcoal griller myself, so all the extra work to gas grill in low temperatures seems beyond silly to me ;)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Pile up some Match Lite (TM) around the tank? :(
If your favorite grill or smoker has only a gas burner, you have to do the best you can.:)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I've never understood those that think they can taste the difference between something grilled on propane and something grilled on charcoal. Having hardwoods in the fire I do understand, but that flavor only lasts until all the VOC's in the wood are burned up - then you have same thing you have with charcoal - just a bunch of carbon left to burn. All that is given up in the fire once VOC's are gone is CO2. Charcoal starters same thing, once they have burned up, which you are supposed to do before introducing your food to be cooked, you have same charcoal left to cook with. Propane - may have other items given off but is primarily CO2 also. In all cases you do still have some compounds resulting from drippings from your food that get burned.

iceworm

Occupation
... why not use charcoal when it's too cold for propane? ...

I'm a hardwood charcoal griller myself, so all the extra work to gas grill in low temperatures seems beyond silly to me ;)

Heck, I would go with Match Lite as nasty as it is before I would resort to heating up a propane tank.

Don't know. I'm the equipment guy - not the barbecuer. But, I doubt I would spent the time to build a hardwood fire to light the hardwood charcoal - assuming I could find either one. The only native wood available is birch, cottonwood, or spruce.

Still, in the summer (after breakup) we do use an outdoor 4' firepit - 1" expanded metal screen for the grill. That will be a birch/cottonwood fire - lit with kerosene (HF1) Cooking temp is regulated by position. Outside edges are cooler than the center. Need to keep it smoking and stay downwind - mosquitos.

... I mean, the extent you all go to in order to heat the fuel makes me wonder. Is propane grilled meat tastier in the tundra than charcoal grilled meat?

Cuz it sure ain't here!! ...

Probably we just aren't as smart as you guys are. Living in the great North is both a trick and a trip.

ice

iceworm

Occupation
I've never understood those that think they can taste the difference between something grilled on propane and something grilled on charcoal. Having hardwoods in the fire I do understand, but that flavor only lasts until all the VOC's in the wood are burned up - then you have same thing you have with charcoal - just a bunch of carbon left to burn. All that is given up in the fire once VOC's are gone is CO2. Charcoal starters same thing, once they have burned up, which you are supposed to do before introducing your food to be cooked, you have same charcoal left to cook with. Propane - may have other items given off but is primarily CO2 also. In all cases you do still have some compounds resulting from drippings from your food that get burned.

Yes that would be my thought. However, it is apparent the ancient wisdom is certain that the ancient methods are far superior and that differing climes donot call for differing techniques.

ice

Status
Not open for further replies.