GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is not an NEC requirement but probably an OSHA rule. It seems like it is always possible to get a shock even from an insulated tool as cords can get frayed etc. I believe it would be required but let others respond.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
When using an ungrounded electrical tool, are you required to use a drop cord with a built in GFCI?

70E 110.4(B)(2) says you do not need a grounding conductor if that tool is (rated) double insulated.

70E 110.4(C)(1) GFCI's

My words - basically areas that require GFCI protection require the tool and cord be GFCI protected.

If I had this on PDF I would post the Articles.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
NEC 590.6 would require GFCI protection for receptacles used as part of a temporary installation for construction, etc.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NEC 590.6 would require GFCI protection for receptacles used as part of a temporary installation for construction, etc.

Yes but the op was not necessarily talking about a temp installation. I am thinking he goes to a job site and needs power to grill a hole and there is no gfci available.

cadpoint

In the end everyone's safety is their own responsibility. One should be using some sort of GFCI doing any power cord work. I use one around the house, I have portable ones in the truck.

Here is what OSHA has to say about it!

Welcome to the Forum!

kwired

Electron manager
Yes but the op was not necessarily talking about a temp installation. I am thinking he goes to a job site and needs power to grill a hole and there is no gfci available.

Who plugs in a drill anymore? Drills with attached power cords will soon be common things in antique shows and shops, and people will be asking "does it still work?" :)

Outside of lighting most of the temp power needed on many job sites anymore is needed for battery charging, and an occasional bigger load power tool like a table saw, but even a table saw is not as common on site as it used to be, they use cordless circular saws for cutting plywood or other sheet goods that they used to do on a table saw.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

This still would be covered under 590.6 specifically (A)(2) which would require some type of GFCI protection even it were of the portable type.

kwired

Electron manager
As I read that if I came to your home I would need a GFCI protected cord to use a receptacle in one of your bedrooms.
That is correct. And OSHA does back that up in it's own way, so even if you are not familiar with NEC you still have other references that make you use a portable GFCI.

kwired

Electron manager
Anybody still have one of the Yankee brand long spiral screwdrivers?

Tapatalk!

My first job as an electrician the Yankee was the preferred method to mount switch and receptacle devices.

Wasn't long though and the cordless drill became preferred, wasn't a drill like we commonly see today, but was still great for driving screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.