looking for grouping of wires..current flow..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

I'm trying to explain skin effect to someone.... and reading around I see that it is more of a concern for larger wires...
but I am trying to explain switch leggs and three ways and vaguely remember maybe in wiring methods an article that mentions the grouping or running together of these conductors..
looking through the book I can't locate... will continue to look...

ritelec

yep found the part about ferrous metal..........but not what I'm looking for...

he has an existing switch and wants to add a 3 way by adding a 2 wire for the travelers...............

where could mighty I find the article that says thats not how it's done.....

will continue....

thank you.

ritelec

thank you..........
so if the switch was done in nm wire..the grouping isn't necessary..........

you can run a 2 wire just for travelers ???
wow

cadpoint

Three posts till a question mark... :)

OK, feed the power to the three way from the front or the rear of what your want to control, or you'll be back here with some sketchs for someone to figure out.

I'm just saying...

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Seems he's saying he has only one switch and wants to add one to make it a 3-way. If that's the case, running just a 2-wire won't do it. Maybe he doesn't have any 12-3/14-3 and wants to run 2 sets of 2-wire.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Seems he's saying he has only one switch and wants to add one to make it a 3-way. If that's the case, running just a 2-wire won't do it. Maybe he doesn't have any 12-3/14-3 and wants to run 2 sets of 2-wire.
only works if there is power at location of added switch, if it's the same circuit then neutral is already at lite, if it's different circuit will still work although could be dangerous

ritelec

Thank you for the feedback...........

Yes I was trying to figure out how it could be done with the two wires also......

seems conditions would have to be just right.

Many, many moons ago.... I was working with someone who ran a 2 wire for a three way (two wire went to load, I think he pulled it down to the switch point added a 2 wire jumper between switches, then back out to load).... I think it was right before mc came out so I think we were running ac cable......

so I had him change it to 3 wire..... guess, I had him change it for the right, wrong, right reason......

who'd of thunk it...

:happyno:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
only works if there is power at location of added switch, if it's the same circuit then neutral is already at lite, if it's different circuit will still work although could be dangerous

I know that, I was just trying to figure out exactly what the OP had to work with.

Seems odd though. If you have to pull wire anyway, why not pull a 12-3/14-3 to begin with.
If he has power at new location, he would need to cap the line/feed wire at the original switch.

Last edited:

ritelec

I know that, I was just trying to figure out exactly what the OP had to work with.

Seems odd though. If you have to pull wire anyway, why not pull a 12-3/14-3 to begin with.
If he has power at new location, he would need to cap the line/feed wire at the original switch.

Wasn't me...... I'm 3 wire all the way...... just thought it had to be always......not knowing rx could be two wire..........
but as mentioned............why not run the 3 wire.....

I've never run two wire for the application....don't think I ever will..........
And even in some strange turn of events in the future I would be able to run the two wire..... Just on spite....... I would run a 3 wire and cap off one of the wires and only use two....

:p

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Wasn't me...... I'm 3 wire all the way...... just thought it had to be always......not knowing rx could be two wire..........
but as mentioned............why not run the 3 wire.....

I've never run two wire for the application....don't think I ever will..........
And even in some strange turn of events in the future I would be able to run the two wire..... Just on spite....... I would run a 3 wire and cap off one of the wires and only use two....

:p
I'm 3/wire all the way too, the 2/wire for travellers may not have occurred to me, but I while back I spent several hours troubleshootin someone else's 3/way installation. Taps were made "wrong," had to trace which 2/wire was the travellers, in some fairly full boxes. Not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.