Water Treatment Plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazz99

My Electrician is running EMT in thus plant and not IMC. I want to be sure he us compliant with the NEC since there are no real inspections here. It is not called out for on the plans and it's not in a area where it would be damaged. Any thoughts here.

Thanks Bob

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In general, unless it is in a classified area, it is mostly a specification thing, and not an NEC requirement.

It may not be ideal, but if the plans don't call for it, what is the issue?

The engineer that did the plans should be consulted, not random people on the Internet who only know a tiny part of the whole story.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What are the conditions of the area where the EMT is being installed? Wet, damp, dry, corrosive. etc.

Hendrix

I went to a sewage treatment plant where thousands of feet of emt were run outside of the building. A few years later what was left was a few connectors and lots of THHN in free air :(

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
why would any of this matter from a code perspective since the code allows the use of EMT in all of the areas you mentioned?

Well wet location have certain requirements regarding fittings, boxes, ect. and EMT is permitted in a corrosive environment only if approved as suitable for the condition. Isn't it also possible that there may be area of a treatment plant that falls under a Classified Location?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Well wet location have certain requirements regarding fittings, boxes, ect. and EMT is permitted in a corrosive environment only if approved as suitable for the condition. Isn't it also possible that there may be area of a treatment plant that falls under a Classified Location?

Anything is possible. But there does not appear to be any general prohibition on the use of EMT in water treatment plants.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anything is possible. But there does not appear to be any general prohibition on the use of EMT in water treatment plants.

I agree, but since the OP was somewhat lacking in detail I was wondering if he could be supply us with some more specifics before going way off on a tangent. :)

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... The engineer that did the plans should be consulted, not random people on the Internet who only know a tiny part of the whole story.

That sort of thinking is not tolerated around here. If you don't stop right now, Infinity is going to turn the car around and nobody is going to get any ice cream.

ice

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I inspected a waste-water treatment plant recently. They had a grant and wired the entire system in Robroy..control rooms, offices, ALL .. specs called for it.
Grant money was all used and the control circuits had not been included in the specs... they were installed on a low-bid basis.. all EMT. time will tell but it sure looks silly.

plumb bob

I inspected a waste-water treatment plant recently. They had a grant and wired the entire system in Robroy..control rooms, offices, ALL .. specs called for it.
Grant money was all used and the control circuits had not been included in the specs... they were installed on a low-bid basis.. all EMT. time will tell but it sure looks silly.

Rob roy in an office is very silly if you ask me, as bad as emt in a class 1 div 1 area. One is a clear code violation and the other is a waste of time and money. JMHO.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Just had a similar situation with a water plant.
The engineer wanted RSC in all areas. Sounds reasonable until you find that he also wants it also in the stud walls of the office/lab areas, and by the way it has to be all treaded with no SS connectors. This same clown spec'd all equipment to be wash down but the heating/mechanical engineer did not get the memo and all controls are in EMT w/SS connectors as well as the equipment.
Of course it was also government money (AKA other peoples money) and everyone just says just do it as engineered, never mind that it is like a screen door in a submarine. This crap is going to kill this country. Sadly, I see this everyday on jobs, especially where government money is involved.

mgookin

Just had a similar situation with a water plant.
The engineer wanted RSC in all areas. Sounds reasonable until you find that he also wants it also in the stud walls of the office/lab areas, and by the way it has to be all treaded with no SS connectors. This same clown spec'd all equipment to be wash down but the heating/mechanical engineer did not get the memo and all controls are in EMT w/SS connectors as well as the equipment.
Of course it was also government money (AKA other peoples money) and everyone just says just do it as engineered, never mind that it is like a screen door in a submarine. This crap is going to kill this country. Sadly, I see this everyday on jobs, especially where government money is involved.

Design professionals are allowed to charge a percentage of project construction cost. The more expensive they design it, the more they can charge. Highways are a great example.

I don't understand why electrical construction is not being inspected in a water plant. They are not an electric utility. Their plumbing should be exempt, only. But I'm not in NV.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Design professionals are allowed to charge a percentage of project construction cost. The more expensive they design it, the more they can charge. Highways are a great example.

I don't understand why electrical construction is not being inspected in a water plant. They are not an electric utility. Their plumbing should be exempt, only. But I'm not in NV.

I know of none that were not inspected. In my situation, the EMT was only used where it was Code acceptable. My point was along the line texie addressed. When government money (ours), especially Federal, is involved, the specs are often overkill. Once it got down to local or private dollars, Code minimum is acceptable.

kwired

Electron manager
It is in a dry location inside and it is not classified as hazardous.

Thanks for the input
Next question may be is there any corrosive conditions, and this can even effect the use of RMC.

If limited areas are corrosive you don't have to use the same wiring methods throughout the entire facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.