Following a HI

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Had a peculiarity fall in my lap. A home inspector inspected a house, generated a confusing report, and prompted the realtor representing a potential buyer to contact me to evaluate. I couldn't make much of the report and offered to take a look at the house and tender an opinion in a report.

Any pitfalls to following through on this? I have made it clear that I am a licensed master electrician and instructor but not an electrical inspector or electrical contractor. I have made it clear I would not perform any repairs to whatever violations I notice. As far as I know I'm not breaking a law.

Also, what would you charge for this service? I shot a number that my wife thought was low (but I thought was a bit high) and they went for it anyway.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Had a peculiarity fall in my lap. A home inspector inspected a house, generated a confusing report, and prompted the realtor representing a potential buyer to contact me to evaluate. I couldn't make much of the report and offered to take a look at the house and tender an opinion in a report.

Any pitfalls to following through on this? I have made it clear that I am a licensed master electrician and instructor but not an electrical inspector or electrical contractor. I have made it clear I would not perform any repairs to whatever violations I notice. As far as I know I'm not breaking a law.

Also, what would you charge for this service? I shot a number that my wife thought was low (but I thought was a bit high) and they went for it anyway.

$525 feels about right...

as long as you are simply doing an electrical inspection, with full disclosure,
and not having anything to do with the repairs, i don't see a down side.

you are a consultant. people consult on stuff all the time, and get paid for it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had done this in the past as an electrical contractor after the HI deferred further evaluation to a licensed contractor. For reading the report, doing a walk through and writing up my own report I charged $125/hr. If they wanted an estimate to make the corrections that would be offered like any other estimate for free and would only be provided at the request of one of the parties otherwise it may appear as a conflict of interest.

IMO charging for the report is important because buyer and seller usually just use the report data for a bargaining chip and you don't even get the job making the repairs.

__dan

Banned

You are absolutely adding value with a good inspection, an experienced eye on the problems and advice of what to spend money on, what is good and has useful service life left within its original rating. You could charge whatever and still save them money by spending wisely.

Typically they will use the report for deficiencies and either require repairs before closing or take a deduct at the closing for the cost of necessary repairs. I always add some kind of disclaimer avoiding liability for what I did not see. I don't take down ceiling fixtures because I already know the wiring may be baked by heat, no ground, or no box.

Usual suspects would be any wiring done by the previous owners themselves, fixture changes or new fixtures where there was no original wiring, corrosion, heat, or water damage at the service, knob and tube that is in contact with insulation (it's not insulation contact rated), GFI's, extension cord wiring, appliances on the old wiring where new direct lines would be advisable, condition of the SE cable, proper intersystem bonding terminal bar (CATV, phone) or lack thereof, service grounding ...

Got a new service change from a home inspection report, never saw the report. When I reconnected the old boiler I purposely lifted one of the control wires so it would not fire and wrote it up as lacking the proper safety devices. It was an obvious candidate for change, something from 1910, 3 times too big for the house and hacked up over the years. Now that I think about it, the house had freeze alarms in the windows and water damage where the pipes had broken.

Turns out the HI had noted something about the boiler and they had required an insurance policy costing $500 that would cover any repair the boiler would need for a year. I told them they were wasting their money on the insurance and they could either put the $500 towards a new boiler change or they could connect the control wiring themselves if they wanted to run it. Somehow they got the message.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Assuming he is referring to error and omission insurance, of course not. I am pretty sure that I can slap a disclaimer at the end of the report to make it clear that I'm not responsible for damages that I did not foresee.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Assuming he is referring to error and omission insurance, of course not. I am pretty sure that I can slap a disclaimer at the end of the report to make it clear that I'm not responsible for damages that I did not foresee.

error and omission insurance

Well I've never heard of that here, maybe it is a state by state thing, Now I've got to look into that because I do a few of those a year.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
To you is a common type of coverage for engineers and other professionals as well as for trustees of foundations and board of directors members of corporations.
Basically it covers flat out mistakes (in good faith), the errors, and failures to catch a condition that should have been foreseen but was accidentally omitted, the omissions.
The insurance applies most strongly to people with design responsibility or inspectors who are not protected by their government employer.

Tapatalk!

Rewire

We researched this and even lurked on a home inspection forum prior to offering inspection services. We found that in some states like NJ HI are required to be licensed. When writing a report it is important to note how you word things .How you state things can help prevent a problem. A sit down with a knowledgeable attorney to look over your contract was highly recommended.

growler

I couldn't make much of the report and offered to take a look at the house and tender an opinion in a report.

as long as you are simply doing an electrical inspection, with full disclosure,
and not having anything to do with the repairs, i don't see a down side.

you are a consultant. people consult on stuff all the time, and get paid for it.

I think the key word here is consultant. You are an expert in the field and so long as you only sell an opinion the customer buys it for what it's worth.

Make sure the realestate people are willing to cut you a check as an individual and not a business.

Rewire

I think the key word here is consultant. You are an expert in the field and so long as you only sell an opinion the customer buys it for what it's worth.

Make sure the realestate people are willing to cut you a check as an individual and not a business.

would it not be better to be a business especially if the business is an LLC so that your personal assets would be protected in case of litigation?

growler

I have made it clear that I am a licensed master electrician and instructor but not an electrical inspector or electrical contractor.

would it not be better to be a business especially if the business is an LLC so that your personal assets would be protected in case of litigation?

If he was going to perform an electrical inspection it would be better to be a business.

I assummed that he was trying to avoid all that. You know just give an opinion for a little cash. To offer any sort of service for money you would normally need a business licence. But he is no offering a service they have contacted him for a one time deal so I'm thinking the rules for casual labor would apply.

They just want his opinion as a master electrician. They hire him as casual labor / consultant and so long as it's not over $600 they don't need to list him as an employee or cut taxes and can cut him a check as casual labor. They list it on their books as casual labor ( George ).

As a consultant he is not selling a home electrical inspection but his opinion.

If he is going to start doing this as a regular business then he would need to start a business.

Rewire

If he was going to perform an electrical inspection it would be better to be a business.

I assummed that he was trying to avoid all that. You know just give an opinion for a little cash. To offer any sort of service for money you would normally need a business licence. But he is no offering a service they have contacted him for a one time deal so I'm thinking the rules for casual labor would apply.

They just want his opinion as a master electrician. They hire him as casual labor / consultant and so long as it's not over $600 they don't need to list him as an employee or cut taxes and can cut him a check as casual labor. They list it on their books as casual labor ( George ).

As a consultant he is not selling a home electrical inspection but his opinion.

If he is going to start doing this as a regular business then he would need to start a business.
Even a consultant needs to maintain the Professional liability insurance (error and omission) . A policy can run around $1000 a year so it can be more than you earn if you only do one or two a year. If you choose clients that are low risk and you have a well written contract reviewed by an attorney your exposure could be minimal and you could forgo insurance. When you have people suing over not getting enough napkins you realize even minor exposure justifies insurance.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I refuse I cower to in fear at the mention of a lawyer. Given that you can get sued for anything and everything (the recent incident of the spoiled teenager suing her parents at the behest of her lawyer friends come to mind) it makes little sense to me to take special precautions to attempt to overwhelm one.

Regardless, the advice has been tendered and noted, any other thoughts on the OP?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
... the advice has been tendered and noted, any other thoughts on the OP?
Getting back to the fee part of the question: Just make sure that you allow for all of the time and tools involved in preparing the report, delivering it, and answering lots of follow up questions afterward. Not just the time spent reviewing the original HI report and looking on site. :)

Whatever overhead you would have it this were a major part of your business, not just the easily identifiable expenses of this one-off.

Last edited:

GUNNING

We researched this and even lurked on a home inspection forum prior to offering inspection services. We found that in some states like NJ HI are required to be licensed. When writing a report it is important to note how you word things .How you state things can help prevent a problem. A sit down with a knowledgeable attorney to look over your contract was highly recommended.

Florida also has a limitations on electrical inspections. In the statutes it says only Certified Electrical contractors can have an opinion on electrical wiring. That does not stop the Home Inspectors from having one and they will do all the grunt work for you.

Rewire

Sometimes it is better to hand off things you are not familiar with. It might benefit the customer more for you to guide them to an electrical contractor who offers this professional service.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Taken to it's logical conclusion, someone following that advice would never learn to ride a bike, drive a car, graduate from diapers, or anything else that requires getting off the couch.

I'm not starting a private bomb squad service, I am doing precisely what I am qualified and trained to do, sans performing the corrections that I am also qualified and trained (yet not individually licensed) to do. I do have experience electrical contracting and that experience led me to this point where I have elected not to purchase the license to do so.

Quit while you're ahead. In case you haven't picked up on it yet, you could probably even offer good advice now and then and I would still ignore it. I'm not going to humor you and pretend that you are doing me any good.

Rewire

Taken to it's logical conclusion, someone following that advice would never learn to ride a bike, drive a car, graduate from diapers, or anything else that requires getting off the couch.

I'm not starting a private bomb squad service, I am doing precisely what I am qualified and trained to do, sans performing the corrections that I am also qualified and trained (yet not individually licensed) to do. I do have experience electrical contracting and that experience led me to this point where I have elected not to purchase the license to do so.

Quit while you're ahead. In case you haven't picked up on it yet, you could probably even offer good advice now and then and I would still ignore it. I'm not going to humor you and pretend that you are doing me any good.
I tend to discourage side jobbers as they do not benefit the trades as a whole. You have made it clear you do not desire to operate as a business so any advice would be a total waste of time.

have a good life

Status
Not open for further replies.