What is the authority of the nec and where does it stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello all.
In a discussion... I mentioned my use of a balanced power transformer that creates clean power for my gear. It plugs in then the gear plugs into it.

I've mentioned it here and my readings are confirmed that it is not compliant.
I also mentioned as per 647.3 it is not compliant because this unit is used in my house.

In the discussion I received this... it makes sense but doesn't. I understand his point, yet as I read I do see much in the code which is the way things have to be made.
Also enclosed is 347.3

Is because this unit is a plug in appliance it's legal. or is it not because of the nec article.

Thank you. Sorry...tried to get it (make it) bigger..

Last edited:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Hello all.
In a discussion... I mentioned my use of a balanced power transformer that creates clean power for my gear. It plugs in then the gear plugs into it.

I also mentioned as per 647.3 it is not compliant because this unit is used in my house.

In the discussion I received this... it makes sense but doesn't. I understand his point, yet as I read I do see much in the code which is the way things have to be made.
Also enclosed is 347.3

Is because this unit is a plug in appliance it's legal. or is it not because of the nec article.

Thank you.

110.3 covers equipment which in my opinion covers appliances.

kwired

Electron manager
110.3 covers equipment which in my opinion covers appliances.

True, but NEC does not cover internal components/design of listed appliances, NEC is generally only covering supply circuits or wiring for external accessories. Now a product listing typically will also include an intended use/conditions of use for that product.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Hello all.

Who has confirmed that it is not compliant? Buy it, plug it in, enjoy. That is what I do at my house.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think 647.3 only applies to premises wiring. read carefully. It clearly is not referring to the innards of something that you might plug in.

The odd part is, that such an arrangement does not appear to be otherwise prohibited anyway.

dereckbc

Staff member
If the only connection to the house wiring is a plug into a receptacle, then it is NOT a NEC issue period.

I am very familiar with Balanced Power and I use to have a unit in my home. With that said I would not recommend Balanced Power in a home for A/V or computer equipment as it will likely damage those items. The problem is two fold.

1. In any equipment the power switch only switches 1 leg, not both. So unless you turn off the power with the dual gang circuit breakers you have not de-energize the unit. That can be a real hazard when working on the equipment.

2. this is the big one, component damage. Just about every piece of electronic equipment has filters and surge suppression components installed across L-G, N-G, and L-N to meet FCC requirements. In some cases N-G in a switch mode power supplies commonly used in electronics today rather than transformers. The problem is the components installed N-G. Those components will be a low voltage rating of 5 to 10 volts. On balanced power systems you have 60 volts from N-G internal wiring and that will let out the magic smoke.

Now with that said you can still get all the benefits of balanced power without any worries. You just install a dedicated 2-wire + ground 240 VAC circuit and use a isolation transformer plugged into it. It can even be done with just a 1:1 120 VAC isolation transformer. There are many manufactures selling them at high end A/V stores. No modification to equipment is required and you get all the benefits plus a couple of extra perks.

Where does the sting come in with NEC with what you have. Well the most likely source would be your home insurance carrier. If you were to file a claim for equipment damage or God forbid a fire as a result of the equipment, your insurance company could deny your claim if they found out.

ritelec

Thank you all...

So I guess the gentleman was right.

If not involved with premises wiring it's ok...

wow...

just sending 3 pics..
one with common grd
one neutral/ground
one iso grd of some type..

And I guess since you "plug it in" they're all ok..

ok.??

And yes... mine has the ground lift and I did plug it in and do enjoy it... :- )

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The last two illustrations are, IMHO a misuse of the terms common mode and differential mode. Both are differential, while the first is unbalanced (single ended) and the second is balanced.
The first of the three shows noise isolation against common mode noise on the primary side but would have little if any effect on him. Except for the isolation from common mode hum (including voltage drop on the neutral) on the primary side.
Any equipment that isolates the grounded conductor from the EGC may not benefit from it at all.
Any of the three circuits may have some effect on harmonic related noise from fluorescents operating on the same primary side circuit.

Tapatalk!

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
If the only connection to the house wiring is a plug into a receptacle, then it is NOT a NEC issue period.

I am very familiar with Balanced Power and I use to have a unit in my home. With that said I would not recommend Balanced Power in a home for A/V or computer equipment as it will likely damage those items. The problem is two fold.

1. In any equipment the power switch only switches 1 leg, not both. So unless you turn off the power with the dual gang circuit breakers you have not de-energize the unit. That can be a real hazard when working on the equipment.

2. this is the big one, component damage. Just about every piece of electronic equipment has filters and surge suppression components installed across L-G, N-G, and L-N to meet FCC requirements. In some cases N-G in a switch mode power supplies commonly used in electronics today rather than transformers. The problem is the components installed N-G. Those components will be a low voltage rating of 5 to 10 volts. On balanced power systems you have 60 volts from N-G internal wiring and that will let out the magic smoke.

Now with that said you can still get all the benefits of balanced power without any worries. You just install a dedicated 2-wire + ground 240 VAC circuit and use a isolation transformer plugged into it. It can even be done with just a 1:1 120 VAC isolation transformer. There are many manufactures selling them at high end A/V stores. No modification to equipment is required and you get all the benefits plus a couple of extra perks.

Where does the sting come in with NEC with what you have. Well the most likely source would be your home insurance carrier. If you were to file a claim for equipment damage or God forbid a fire as a result of the equipment, your insurance company could deny your claim if they found out.

Ive seen these systems, but Ive heard that if you purchase 230 volt 50/60hz equipment and run it at 240 volts you get the same results as a 60-0-60 isolation transformers since 240 single phase is balanced anyway?

No clue if its true but Ive heard it brought up as a low cost code complaint method of getting balanced power in resi.

dereckbc

Staff member
Ive seen these systems, but Ive heard that if you purchase 230 volt 50/60hz equipment and run it at 240 volts you get the same results as a 60-0-60 isolation transformers since 240 single phase is balanced anyway?.
Absolutely true. 2 wire + Ground 240 is Balanced. If you shop around you can find A/V and computer equipment that can run on as low a 90 up to 290 VAC 50 or 60 Hz. In fact I think every PC power supply has a switch for 120 or 240. Otherwise buy equipment intended for UK markets. But it would require a code compliant NEMA receptacle which will not fit UK equipment but you could either use an adapter, or just put a NEMA plug on it.

Unfortunately the USA IMO made a huge mistake using 120 VAC. Since we were the first to have AC power in homes, we did not not have hind sight to foresee some of the problems of unbalanced and lower voltages. Easy fix, but will never happen.

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Absolutely true. 2 wire + Ground 240 is Balanced. If you shop around you can find A/V and computer equipment that can run on as low a 90 up to 290 VAC 50 or 60 Hz. In fact I think every PC power supply has a switch for 120 or 240. Otherwise buy equipment intended for UK markets. But it would require a code compliant NEMA receptacle which will not fit UK equipment but you could either use an adapter, or just put a NEMA plug on it.

Unfortunately the USA IMO made a huge mistake using 120 VAC. Since we were the first to have AC power in homes, we did not not have hind sight to foresee some of the problems of unbalanced and lower voltages. Easy fix, but will never happen.

I agree with the low voltage part of using 120 instead of 240, but aren't European systems also unbalanced? Ie, 230/400 50Hz requires on phase and a neutral for regular loads, so technically its unbalanced to?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I agree with the low voltage part of using 120 instead of 240, but aren't European systems also unbalanced? Ie, 230/400 50Hz requires on phase and a neutral for regular loads, so technically its unbalanced to?
Absolutely correct.
Even a 400V phase to phase load on a 400Y/230 system will still be unbalanced with respect to the grounded neutral.

One thing that the European system does arguably have as an advantage is that for single phase service there is no concept of an MWBC to confuse the situation and no need to worry about whether you can reduce the size of a neutral or have to increase it above the size of the phase wire.

And a three phase service in the EU is not really different in concept from a three phase service in the US. Just never a history of high leg delta or corner grounded delta to confuse their sparkies.

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Absolutely correct.
Even a 400V phase to phase load on a 400Y/230 system will still be unbalanced with respect to the grounded neutral.

Ok got it, makes more sense. So in order for a system to be balanced it would need all the phases from the source? Ie, if all 3 phases were used from a 3 phase system or all 6 phase from a 6 phase it would then be balanced? Just thinking out loud on it.

One thing that the European system does arguably have as an advantage is that for single phase service there is no concept of an MWBC to confuse the situation and no need to worry about whether you can reduce the size of a neutral or have to increase it above the size of the phase wire.

I agree. Exception being some all electric houses or those with large tank-less water heaters are 3 phase, but 1 phase is still in majority. Because both resi and commercial use 230 or 230/400Y its both low cost and efficient to utilities, same can be said for those wiring up places. Unlike US and Canadian utilities which have to worry about supplying 120/240 1 phase, 120/208 and 277/480 (347/600 in Canada) Euro pocos usually just set down a plus size pole platform mounted transformer (usually 250kva and above) that supplies both commercial and residential customers. Often 100+ customers instead of 1 to 8 average in the US. Commercial customers just take all 3 phases from the pole instead of 1. In fact its not uncommon for parts of the UK among other countries to have a 1 or 2 MVA unit supplying several blocks or a whole village. UK guys can confirm if my memory is right or not:ashamed:.

Even though 230/415 is less efficient than 277/480, its off set by the lack of commercial step down transformers on the customers' premises to give 120/208.

Anyway, in terms of MWBC, just for kicks some utilities in Spain, Belgium, obsolete French installs use a 138/240 volt system; Norwegian utilities use 230 volts IT (their equivalent of our ungrounded wye or delta). In 138/240Y systems the neutral is just used for grounding, all loads are connected phases to phase and as you would imagine houses get 2 phases and a neutral which is just used for fault clearing only. Similar stuff in Norway with houses getting 2 hots and a ground though not always if its an older install.

And a three phase service in the EU is not really different in concept from a three phase service in the US. Just never a history of high leg delta or corner grounded delta to confuse their sparkies.

True, although Euro sparkies don't have to worry about odd 3 phase configurations like we do they have about 4 different service grounding configurations to work with, which can get confusing;

TN-C-S: its exactly like ours where a combined neutral ground comes from the supply poco, once at the first disconnect it splits into neutral and ground.

TN-S: Neutral and ground is separated all the way back to the supply transformer, poco gives separate neutrals and ground. Neutral remains isolated and is not grounded down anywhere at the service or structure. This is considered to be the safest grounding arrangement being the gold standard in new Euro construction.

TT: No ground wire is supplied by the poco. A neutral may be supplied if needed, buts its not used for fault clearing (load only), treated much like a phase and only earthed at the supply transformer and no where else. Customer grounding is derived via ground rods (egc system is not bonded to the neutral) and the earth soil is used as the return EGC. Because of that RCD protection is mandatory on the main or all branch breakers, often recommended on both to give redundancy in case one fails. Fault current is governed based on the ground rod resistance, so the RCD is often the mechanism that opens the breaker in a lot of cases since soil resistance is usually to high to draw enough current in the breaker's magnetic or even thermal trip region. Forbidden of course by the NEC but its still used all over the world.

IT: An ungrounded system, often comes in 2 flavors one resembling TT systems the other TN-S systems.

In both versions the supply transformer neutral and phases are not earthed at any point including the source or anywhere else in the system. If an XO bushing is present the neutral may be distributed, however the vast majority of these systems just have phase-phase connected loads only; generally running at 230 volts 50Hz with some industrial customers on 400 and 720 volts. Its generally discouraged to run the neutral for phase to neutral loads, but not functionally impossible if one wanted to do so.

The first version common among old installations had only 3 wires (phases) on the pole, customers getting 2 or 3 depending if single phase or 3 phase, no ground and in almost all cases no neutral was provided either. All loads were connected between phases with resi running 230 volts between them. Grounding was done via ground rods and an EGC bonding system in the building was used as with other systems but there was no ground wire from the poco. These systems were safe and still are when a poco transformer supplied a single customer, however a potential fire hazard when a single transformer supplied more than one structure such as a neighborhood of houses. Reason being for example, if phase A grounded down at your house (it would go unnoticed and be of no issue), until however, while this was happening phase B grounded down at your neighbors house. You would now have 2 separate grounding systems at different potentials between your house and your neighbor's house. The grounding system will then pass current between ground rods/foundation of the two structures through the soil. Because RCDs where not used or were required in these systems current would continue to flow indefinitely until noticed and disconnected. Usually soil resistance was to high to cause enough current flow to clear an OCP. And even if it was, where fuses where involved one fuse might blow but the other leg would still feed the faulted phase through the load. Regardless the energized ground rods, plumbing and foundation created a major shock hazard as well as the stray gradient voltage potentials across the soil. Even if shocks were not noticed inside the structure (not uncommon if everything was well bonded inside the building) or outside, the energized ground rods easily started fires, as well as anything in contact with the soil. Keep in mind the building grounding system could remain energized for hours, days or even weeks, more than enough time to dry out and heat up the soil where rods or the structure touch it. Norway has a history of excessive electrical fires where these systems are found, which given the danger is not surprising. The same scenario btw can happen with a TT system if RCD devices fail to trip, hence why some electricians argue strongly about having redundant GFI protection where TT grounding is found. And probably the reasoning behind why the NEC does not allow using the soil as the only EGC.

The second version of the IT system found in newer installs solves this problem by having a ground wire run along the poles connected to each residences' grounding system. Poco gives 2 or 3 hots plus a ground wire. Faults in 2 separate structures on 2 separate phases now have a low impedance path to take between the faults and eliminate the dangerous potentials that could occur between structures.

The norm for these systems recently in Norway has been to add directional RCDs to help detect ground faults on both versions of the system since most IT systems have standing phase ground faults in them from over the years which in the long run defeats the purpose of operating a system ungrounded. Similarly likened with US and old Euro power systems where standing neutral to ground faults are the norm in most buildings. Half way defeats the purpose of having separate ground and neutral in circuits. GFI protection on all circuits detects this, hence the theory behind applying them to IT and other grounding systems in Europe.

But regardless of system grounding all new Euro construction is required to have RCD breakers to detect neutral to ground faults, phase to ground faults as well as miswires and high resistance faults such as those through a load.

Anyway, Just for kicks, Euro DIY forms are filled with Norwegians who complain of intermittent breakers tripping often because they have a ground fault as well as their neighbors. They reset the breaker until their neighbor's breaker trips. All fine until the neighbor eventually resets theirs. Guess which breaker sometimes trips in the processes: yours:lol: When DIYers are asked to measure between phases and ground in such cases or even just in general a lot report back a phase reading near zero. Trip the main and half report its still being there. Hence the addition of RCDs to cut down on standing ground faults.

The present norm however in the past couple of years has been to use 230/400Y power in new construction since power can be about doubled for the same cost of wire, and it harmonizes Norway with the rest of the EU. Downside is phase to ground voltages are higher, and if the neutral on the pole broke you now have a fire hazard to worry about

Well theirs my grounding and bonding rant :p:ashamed1:

Anyway, here is a pic from a DIY forum of a main breaker sub panel somewhere in Belgium fed from a 138/240 volt grounded Y poco. All loads phase to phase connected, no open neutral to worry about and all the benefits of a solidly grounded system:D:happyyes: :

mwm1752

Well theirs my grounding and bonding rant :p:ashamed1:

Anyway, here is a pic from a DIY forum of a main breaker sub panel somewhere in Belgium fed from a 138/240 volt grounded Y poco. All loads phase to phase connected, no open neutral to worry about and all the benefits of a solidly grounded system:D:happyyes: :

I wonder if those are class B type connector

Status
Not open for further replies.