EMT in block wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Do you agree that this installation takes 50% longer than standard installation due to having to cut the conduit and install as the block goes up?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It depends. We usually pre-fab a bunch of stuff ahead of time so that there is not much installation required as the block goes up. Typically we'll have a box with a 30" EMT stub and a 2" mud cover. Depending on how the good the brick layer is we may just give him a layout mark and a height and he installs the entire pre-fab piece within the block. When he gets up a few courses we'll add a nipple on and so on. Occasionally we will have someone check to make sure that the box is installed correctly. Looks something like this:

20120709_150200.jpg

cad99

It does when they screw up my boxes for the last time and I kick their wall over.It may of happened once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mstrlucky74

It depends. We usually pre-fab a bunch of stuff ahead of time so that there is not much installation required as the block goes up. Typically we'll have a box with a 30" EMT stub and a 2" mud cover. Depending on how the good the brick layer is we may just give him a layout mark and a height and he installs the entire pre-fab piece within the block. When he gets up a few courses we'll add a nipple on and so on. Occasionally we will have someone check to make sure that the box is installed correctly. Looks something like this:

20120709_150200.jpg

So what would you say your labor is compare to say a metal stud install?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would speculate that it would vary depending on whether you will be on site the whole time the walls go up, doing other work, or will have to make special trips to site periodically as the walls go up.

GUNNING

I would speculate that it would vary depending on whether you will be on site the whole time the walls go up, doing other work, or will have to make special trips to site periodically as the walls go up.
I think that was the original question. I think it takes longer, masons are unpredictable. Always blame it on the masons.

iwire

Staff member
We would assign a guy to be with the masons anytime they are putting up block.

That is their only job and they have lots of wasted time.

It is, at least here in my area much much slower.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We would assign a guy to be with the masons anytime they are putting up block.

That is their only job and they have lots of wasted time.

It is, at least here in my area much much slower.

that's how it's been on jobs i've worked on...
the foreman will usually put an older guy on it,
and just park him there so stuff doesn't get left out
of the wall.

anyone who doesn't babysit the walls will usually be
pretty unhappy when time comes to pull wire.

the idea that you could even make a comparison with
other types of walls is silly. even putting stuff in poured
in place walls is faster than block. nothing is slower than block.

i quoted some public bathrooms, that if they were frame
construction, i'd a put 20 hours down for rough. for
concrete block, i put five times that amount, and think
i was still low.

iwire

Staff member
anyone who doesn't babysit the walls will usually be
pretty unhappy when time comes to pull wire.

Many tears will be shed.:D

Here often the 'masons' are nothing more than work release inmates that can barley function as humans. Its one thing to find some cement in a pipe, stuff happens. But when you have to break a wall open only to find the EMT crushed flat and filled with cement you begin to understand the need to babysit them.

nothing is slower than block.

As far as walls that has been my experience.

Just let me surface pipe it, I will be done in a fraction of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.