kW reductions from capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But the difference in voltage at the load will not directly tell you the difference in VD, since there are vectors involved.
A highly inductive supply (just out a real inductor in for example) can cause a large voltage drop to the load without dissipating much power at all. A perfect inductor would have no I^2R loss.

Looking at first order effects, you do not care about the resulting load voltage, only about the resistive component of the VD.

Tapatalk!

Last edited:

Sahib

The very notion that the PFC would be connected downstream of the motor overload is not something I would expect any half competent engineer to do.
It is a well known industrial practice.
And on making the capacitor smaller if the motor is not running at FLC is a bit odd as well.
Making capacitor smaller but still serving the need makes economical sense. In your case also, the corrected pf is about 0.97 and not unity.
Draw out the Steinmetz equivalent circuit and you may begin to understand.
Begin to understand what?!
we always fit a contactor for the PFC.
It can be a needless expenditure in cases when motor and capacitor to be run as a unit.

Last edited:

Besoeker

It is a well known industrial practice.
I'll bow to your vastly greater experience in that field.

Making capacitor smaller but still serving the need makes economical sense. In your case also, the corrected pf is about 0.97 and not unity.
I know what it was - I calculated it.

Begin to understand what?!
What the C bit of the PFC is doing.

It can be a needless expenditure in cases when motor and capacitor to be run as a unit.
It's an avoidable risk. That we avoid,

Status
Not open for further replies.