EQUIPMENT GROUNDING CODUCTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsamples

No difference

No difference

I can't see where insulation would make a difference in the conductor performing its duty. I always 'felt' that bare was better, because I could imagine the bare wire making contact with the inside of the conduit. I have no justification for this, just how I see the world. I guess if you think about it at least insulated wire would protect the conductor, but I still don't see a difference.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What are the advantages and disadvantages of bare or insulated equipment grounding conductor?
I think if you have a metallic raceway, it is more difficult to pull an bare conductor through the raceway than it would be to pull an insulated one.

A bare EGC in a non-metallic raceway many be a quicker fault clearing path in the case of insulation damage, within the raceway, to one of the ungrounded conductors.

Bare conductors are not as common as insulated conductors and often even cost more.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I think if you have a metallic raceway, it is more difficult to pull an bare conductor through the raceway than it would be to pull an insulated one.
Isn't it a code violation to pull a bare Cu ECG through a metallic raceway?

Well, I was indifferent once, but when I got red tagged for running a bare ground in a underground run of PVC. It was explained to me there is a
greater chance of water damage to the conductor. I re-pulled the ground with insulation; And have been doing so ever since(30 years). It made since to me at the time and it just stuck. Having said that I realize that I have seen many EGC with no damage from the elements...so that is my story. :slaphead:

Which do you think is better equipment grounding conductor, BARE or INSULATED? Why?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Well, I was indifferent once, but when I got red tagged for running a bare ground in a underground run of PVC. It was explained to me there is a
greater chance of water damage to the conductor. I re-pulled the ground with insulation; And have been doing so ever since(30 years). It made since to me at the time and it just stuck. Having said that I realize that I have seen many EGC with no damage from the elements...so that is my story. :slaphead:
I have worked on jobs where the specs required the EGC to be a bare conductor when installed in non-metallic underground raceways.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Insulated. if there is a ground fault, and the EGC gets hot, the insulation will protect the ungrounded conductors. I read this in Soares.
Plus the insulated are easier to pull, less likely to be damaged as the smaller sizes bare wires tie them selfs in knots when you are not looking.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Insulated. if there is a ground fault, and the EGC gets hot, the insulation will protect the ungrounded conductors. I read this in Soares.
Plus the insulated are easier to pull, less likely to be damaged as the smaller sizes bare wires tie them selfs in knots when you are not looking.
A correctly sized EGC along with a correctly sized and functioning OCPD, should limit the temperature rise on the EGC enough so that the circuit conductors are not damaged by the heat from the fault current on the EGC.

brian john

Up, down, plastic, metal (residential), EGC in conduit, conduit as the sole EGC, tape devices, don't tape devices, twist, don't twist. Unless specified these are personal preferences, much like bare or insulated EGC's.

For the record I generally utilize insulated, because that is what we have.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Isn't it a code violation to pull a bare Cu ECG through a metallic raceway?
There are some applications that require an insulated EGC such as 517.13(B) and 680.23(B)(3) for a couple of examples but, there is not a blanket prohibition of bare EGC's

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.