Exhaust fan problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennG

About 6 months ago I installed a Nu Tone 110 CFM exhaust fan/ light combo over a shower. Fan is listed for application as long as there is GFCI protection, which it has. They started to have a problem with the GFCI tripping mid shower, turning everything off, then I realized that the thermal protection for the fan was also tripping, sometimes just the thermal, other times that and GFCI also. I swapped the guts on the fan and all was good for a while, then it started Happening on a consistent basis. I changed the guts a second time and it's even worse then the first swap. I know that they take long hot showers. My thought is the fan is being overwhelmed with steam causing the thermal to trip on the motor, and or GFCI to trip. Also I forgot to mention, fan has new duct to fresh air.
My questions are have anyone had a similar problem?if so how did you remedy the situation? I need to come up with some kind of solution. I was thinking maybe install a higher quality fan light combo? Maybe a Panasonic, or Delta. This whole thing is becoming a little ridiculous. This will be the last time I put a fan light in a shower. Also FYI all wiring in bathroom is new. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

nizak

Same exact problem. New build 110cfm QT fan/light/night light. Does the fan you are dealing with use the G24 lamps? Have you tried replacing the fan assembly w/pigtail? Owner says it has been tripping consistently. Have you contacted Brown T/A yet? I have not spent much time looking into the matter yet,customer is very understanding with my current work load.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Is this unit directly over the shower?
If so I have seen them get quite wet.
Also if they are left on for long times I have seen melted components. Put the heat on a timer is a must.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is this unit directly over the shower?
If so I have seen them get quite wet.
Also if they are left on for long times I have seen melted components. Put the heat on a timer is a must.

The OP did not indicate that the unit was also a heater.
Energy rules as well as common sense argue for a timer in that case.
In fact in CA even the fan would now require either a timer or a humidity sensor.

Tapatalk!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
My bad, I just assumed there was one when the OP spoke of a Thermal. I have not seen a thermal on these motors just the ones with heat.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
My bad, I just assumed there was one when the OP spoke of a Thermal. I have not seen a thermal on these motors just the ones with heat.

True. Usually the motor is impedance protected and does not need an overload of any kind. Makes me wonder just what the unit really is.

Tapatalk!

kwired

Electron manager
If it is tripping a GFCI there is current leaking outside the intended current path. Check components with a megger. Make sure there is no skinned neutral grounding out in the termination compartment on random basis - or anywhere else in the circuit.

Thermal cut outs are generally only installed on units with heat or heat lamps. Make sure you are using correct type of heat lamp if you have that type of unit.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
If it is tripping a GFCI there is current leaking outside the intended current path. Check components with a megger. Make sure there is no skinned neutral grounding out in the termination compartment on random basis - or anywhere else in the circuit.

Thermal cut outs are generally only installed on units with heat or heat lamps. Make sure you are using correct type of heat lamp if you have that type of unit.

I would not be surprised if some heat lamp units require the fan to be on and moving air to keep the socket area cool.

Tapatalk!

Galt

Occupation
master electrician and refrigeration service tech.
First thing I would change is the GFCI.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
...This will be the last time I put a fan light in a shower. Also FYI all wiring in bathroom is new. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I would follow your own advice given here.

I might also try a whole new unit, like the Panosonic you sugessted, and would let the people know that that is as far as you will go and that it may fail too. Next step after that is to move the fan on their dime.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
About 6 months ago I installed a Nu Tone 110 CFM exhaust fan/ light combo over a shower. Fan is listed for application as long as there is GFCI protection, which it has. They started to have a problem with the GFCI tripping mid shower, turning everything off, then I realized that the thermal protection for the fan was also tripping, sometimes just the thermal, other times that and GFCI also. I swapped the guts on the fan and all was good for a while, then it started Happening on a consistent basis. I changed the guts a second time and it's even worse then the first swap. I know that they take long hot showers. My thought is the fan is being overwhelmed with steam causing the thermal to trip on the motor, and or GFCI to trip. Also I forgot to mention, fan has new duct to fresh air.
My questions are have anyone had a similar problem?if so how did you remedy the situation? I need to come up with some kind of solution. I was thinking maybe install a higher quality fan light combo? Maybe a Panasonic, or Delta. This whole thing is becoming a little ridiculous. This will be the last time I put a fan light in a shower. Also FYI all wiring in bathroom is new. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have had similar situations with exhaust fan/ light units tripping the GFCI. Once I replace the fan unit the other time the GFCI. Both solved the problem of the GFCI tripping.
This may have been suggested already.
I recommend at this point you bite the bullet and replace the fan/ light unit with a different manufacturer's model and replace the GFCI that is in line with it.

Note: I have never notice a thermal cut out on a residential grade fan/ light unit. They are typical to exhaust units with heaters.

Good luck!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.