Dishwashers and disposal 2014 code

Status
Not open for further replies.

T74

how are people setting up dishwashers and disposals per 2014 code?

ie: Does a dishwasher wired with an appliance cord and receptacle needs to be gfi protected and arc-fault protected?

Does a disposal with a counter switch need to be arc-fault protected?

I have a heck of time wrapping my head around this too.

Best I can come up:

A dead front GFCI in a double gang box with a switch, and a split wired receptacle under the sink. That's if they both fit on a 20 amp circuit. If not, another dead front GFCI for the dishwasher. Can't have a regular CGFI on the counter because it could be considered a small appliance branch circuit, and you're also getting into multiple outlet circuits. Can't have a GFCI under the sink because it's not readily accessible.

If you're using a dead front to meet the requirement for GFCI protection on a hardwired dishwasher, make sure its marked to serve as a disconnecting means.

All 15 and 20 amp outlets in kitchens have to be AFCI...and even hardwiring doesn't get you around it because applies to outlets, not receptacles, and also to devices (the disposal switch). Even a front porch light all on its own has to be AFCI if you plan to have a switch in your habitable room!

It takes a lot of thumbing through the code to put this all together.

Dan

crtemp

how are people setting up dishwashers and disposals per 2014 code?

ie: Does a dishwasher wired with an appliance cord and receptacle needs to be gfi protected and arc-fault protected?

Does a disposal with a counter switch need to be arc-fault protected?

both need arc fault protection. The dishwasher is required to be gfci also if it is in a dwelling. You can get away with no gfi for the disposal if it's hard wired.

I just use an arc fault breaker and a faceless gfci in the garage for my dishwashers.

kwired

Electron manager
Square D has a breaker that provides both AFCI and GFCI protection.

I'm sure others will eventually have them just haven't heard of any yet.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
At one time I had a CEU trainer say not to fret over confusing situations like this particular example as he says some things are written into code before products are released that will address the circumstance. Ie the dual purpose AFCI/GFCI breaker that ultimately takes care of this issue. Look for the other manufacturers to have these available soon.

kwired

Electron manager
At one time I had a CEU trainer say not to fret over confusing situations like this particular example as he says some things are written into code before products are released that will address the circumstance. Ie the dual purpose AFCI/GFCI breaker that ultimately takes care of this issue. Look for the other manufacturers to have these available soon.
Difference this time is there are other ways available to meet the code, dual purpose AFCI/GFCI is just one possible convenient way of meeting the requirements. There have been items required in the past that were not available and they put a date in the code to allow time for those items to become available.

edlee

a minor point

a minor point

I have a heck of time wrapping my head around this too.

Best I can come up:

A dead front GFCI in a double gang box with a switch, and a split wired receptacle under the sink. That's if they both fit on a 20 amp circuit. If not, another dead front GFCI for the dishwasher. Can't have a regular CGFI on the counter because it could be considered a small appliance branch circuit, and you're also getting into multiple outlet circuits. Can't have a GFCI under the sink because it's not readily accessible.

If you're using a dead front to meet the requirement for GFCI protection on a hardwired dishwasher, make sure its marked to serve as a disconnecting means.

All 15 and 20 amp outlets in kitchens have to be AFCI...and even hardwiring doesn't get you around it because applies to outlets, not receptacles, and also to devices (the disposal switch). Even a front porch light all on its own has to be AFCI if you plan to have a switch in your habitable room!

It takes a lot of thumbing through the code to put this all together.

Dan

I don't agree that a GFI device under a sink is not readily accessible. Move the soap and crap and it's right there. You don't have to unlock anything, climb over anything, or bring a ladder.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't agree that a GFI device under a sink is not readily accessible. Move the soap and crap and it's right there. You don't have to unlock anything, climb over anything, or bring a ladder.

I agree to some extent but you may have an argument with the authority having jurisdiction. If the gfci is at the front area off to the side I would say no problem but in the back one has an argument.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Difference this time is there are other ways available to meet the code, dual purpose AFCI/GFCI is just one possible convenient way of meeting the requirements. There have been items required in the past that were not available and they put a date in the code to allow time for those items to become available.

I do remember there being an instance of what you described in the last sentence maybe this time they didn't refer to any dates as Square D already developed it. And yes I do agree with you in the first sentence but the dual purpose breaker sure will solve a lot of "where to put the GFCI protection" as it takes some imagination to come up with a desirable way of doing it that both makes common sense and meets code and our interpretation of some code articles.

kwired

Electron manager
I do remember there being an instance of what you described in the last sentence maybe this time they didn't refer to any dates as Square D already developed it. And yes I do agree with you in the first sentence but the dual purpose breaker sure will solve a lot of "where to put the GFCI protection" as it takes some imagination to come up with a desirable way of doing it that both makes common sense and meets code and our interpretation of some code articles.
It was possible to comply with GFCI and AFCI protection without 'combination' breakers, just use a AFCI breaker and a GFCI device elsewhere in the circuit. No need for a date in the code to wait for a particular product to be available on the market. Was not the same with some past issues - especially in the AFCI application area. They wanted to get the use of a particular product in the code but it was not readily available yet hence the dates being put into some past codes.

rhovee

I know that in Washington, all of the inspectors i have talked to are interpreting the readily accessible definition to exclude under the sink. You would have to "remove obstacles" in order to access the GFI. Same goes for the refrigerator, washer, microwave ( If it is within 5 feet of the sink).

jrannis

I just completed a CEU where they demonstrated that a receptacle behind a refrigerator, on wheels, not fastened in place, was considered accessible. With that, I would have to believe a receptacle under a sink is accessible. By definition, not having to remove a finished materials.

iwire

Staff member
I just completed a CEU where they demonstrated that a receptacle behind a refrigerator, on wheels, not fastened in place, was considered accessible. With that, I would have to believe a receptacle under a sink is accessible. By definition, not having to remove a finished materials.

That is entirely up to the AHJ.

Also it sounds like they are using the wrong definition of accessible. They are using accessible for wiring methods not equipment.

Equipment is the correct definition in this case.

Accessible (as applied to equipment). Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means.

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the struc-ture or finish of the building.

kwired

Electron manager
Those examples are all accessible, but likely are not "readily accessible". GFCI's must be "readily accessible".

Status
Not open for further replies.