Rotory Phase Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
And I am doing my best to convince you that I don't believe the item in question is a "bus bar" but rather a "multiple port" terminal. If anything it needs to be attached to the required "bus bar", just like any other terminal used to land a conductor on the bus bar.

Without reading any ROP's I don't know what the intent was though, but IMO if the intent was to eliminate the type of install we are questioning, they have more work to do on wording.

Take a look at 250.64(F). Note that it requires that the GEC be run directly to a GE unless you use (F)(3) which must be a busbar. There is no allowance for listed connectors such as for GEC taps.

kwired

Electron manager
Take a look at 250.64(F). Note that it requires that the GEC be run directly to a GE unless you use (F)(3) which must be a busbar. There is no allowance for listed connectors such as for GEC taps.

First words of that section are "bonding jumper(s)" and not "grounding electrode conductor(s)"

That section is about connection to electrode(s), the other section we were on is more about connection to the service equipment. Somewhere the two have to meet though.:huh:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
First words of that section are "bonding jumper(s)" and not "grounding electrode conductor(s)"

That section is about connection to electrode(s), the other section we were on is more about connection to the service equipment. Somewhere the two have to meet though.:huh:

No, the first words are "Grounding electrode conductors". A you are making my point-"somewhere the two have to meet"- if you don't go directly to a GE. If you want to have a common point it must be a busbar per 250.64(F) (3).

kwired

Electron manager
No, the first words are "Grounding electrode conductors". A you are making my point-"somewhere the two have to meet"- if you don't go directly to a GE. If you want to have a common point it must be a busbar per 250.64(F) (3).
Those are the first words of (F), which are also followed by "and bonding jumper(s)". First words of (F)(3) is bonding jumper(s).

D is for services with multiple disconnecting means.

F is for a GEC connected to multiple elecrodes.

They are not the same thing, but I imagine there could be cases where they overlap one another.

When I have multiple disconnecting means I usually run the GEC to the disconnect that requires the largest GEC (if there is one that needs to be larger). I then usually use irreversible means to connect the other disconnects to that common GEC, so that part of the discussion kind of doesn't apply to anything I can recall ever doing, but is an option should I want to go there, and I guess I need to really study it harder and even talk to my inspector should I want to go that route. Until then I see no problems with my usual method, it is covered in a different section/subsection.

Multiple electrodes issue is resolved as well by running a common GEC to the electrode that needs the largest conductor and making taps (which don't need to be irreversible) to other electrodes. Also another reason I guess why I long ago decided on my usual method of installing multiple service disconnect/multiple electrodes, it seems to be simpler to install and remember procedures.

Seems like most of time for me the largest necessary GEC is going to either a water pipe or a CEE. This does simplify things some as well when your available electrodes are limiting what you need somewhat. I have seen many building steel GEC's installed in what I don't believe the steel truly qualifies as an electrode by NEC requirements, but at same time I still think is a good idea to bond that steel, and it often is still more effective of an electrode then a driven rod IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.