Use of a BF GFCI used as a dishwasher disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma-2

df GFCI as dishwasher disconnect

df GFCI as dishwasher disconnect

I want to thank everyone for their responses to my original question. Based on Al's post covering the UL White Pages (hadn't thought of looking there), I ended up rejecting the use of a GFCI as a disconnect (unless it has an on and off marking), as it wasn't listed for this application. The contractor agreed without further argument.

kwired

Electron manager
And even if it was marked off-on I wouldn't use one for a disconnecting means if it was not manually operable with no power applied to it, now whether or not it would be listed or NEC acceptable IDK, I would like to think it is neither. If power is off already for some reason you can't open such a switch, what if you are working on the "disconnected" item and power returns?? A GFCI breaker is manually operable and would work, but I have never seen a "dead front" or receptacle type GFCI that can be opened without power applied to it.

enigma-2

And even if it was marked off-on I wouldn't use one for a disconnecting means if it was not manually operable with no power applied to it, now whether or not it would be listed or NEC acceptable IDK, I would like to think it is neither. If power is off already for some reason you can't open such a switch, what if you are working on the "disconnected" item and power returns?? A GFCI breaker is manually operable and would work, but I have never seen a "dead front" or receptacle type GFCI that can be opened without power applied to it.
Sorry for taking so long to respond.

You make an excellent point, and one I actually was considering. All-in-all, I feel it's best just to refuse it's use, based on the fact that it's simply not listed for this application (unless the electrical contractor can prove otherwise.) Actually I feel it's ridiculous to even consider using it, considering that a simple snap switch would suffice. That's to everyone for your input.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
All-in-all, I feel it's best just to refuse it's use, based on the fact that it's simply not listed for this application (unless the electrical contractor can prove otherwise.) Actually I feel it's ridiculous to even consider using it, considering that a simple snap switch would suffice.
Again, remembering that this point of Code is with respect to the 2005 NEC, I wonder if, as stated, your meaning is a little over broad. A blank face GFCI device with marked ON and OFF is described in the White Book as capable of controlling a common residential dishwasher. As for the disconnecting means, use the 2005 NEC 422.31(B) provision for locking an out-of-sight breaker or switch. While GFCI protection of the dishwasher is not required under the 2005 NEC, it is not prohibited.

So, I'd be inclined to say: the "ON/OFF" marked BF GFCI is listed to control the appliance, but cannot be operated to prevent re-energization if in the ON state upon power interruption, and, is therefore, not, all by itself, the disconnecting means of 2005 NEC 422 III.

The reason I make this distinction at all is because, down the road in the 2014 NEC, both AFCI and GFCI will be required for this common residential dishwasher.

kwired

Electron manager
Again, remembering that this point of Code is with respect to the 2005 NEC, I wonder if, as stated, your meaning is a little over broad. A blank face GFCI device with marked ON and OFF is described in the White Book as capable of controlling a common residential dishwasher. As for the disconnecting means, use the 2005 NEC 422.31(B) provision for locking an out-of-sight breaker or switch. While GFCI protection of the dishwasher is not required under the 2005 NEC, it is not prohibited.

So, I'd be inclined to say: the "ON/OFF" marked BF GFCI is listed to control the appliance, but cannot be operated to prevent re-energization if in the ON state upon power interruption, and, is therefore, not, all by itself, the disconnecting means of 2005 NEC 422 III.

The reason I make this distinction at all is because, down the road in the 2014 NEC, both AFCI and GFCI will be required for this common residential dishwasher.
Good points were brought up in there, but in general there is no need for a control for a typical residential dishwasher - it already has controls on it. The GFCI couldn't be used as a disconnecting means, but of course could be used to introduce GFCI protection when needed.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Good points were brought up in there, but in general there is no need for a control for a typical residential dishwasher - it already has controls on it. The GFCI couldn't be used as a disconnecting means, but of course could be used to introduce GFCI protection when needed.
I am glad it is obvious to you that the DF GFCI cannot be a required disconnecting means. Many of us were not convinced without a fairly long thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.