receptacles in bathtub space

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
In an ideal world the receptacle would not be accessible from the tub itself but in many baths that is difficult to achieve

Correct, even if we had the five foot rule like we have with swimming pools/spas some cases are difficult to also comply with 210.52 required receptacle near the basin.

JDB3

I would say that, not withstanding running the cord of any item, across an open area, the receptacle should not be so located that anything with a 6 foot cord on it could be "perched" at the tub. I realize that my wording on this is not the best, just don't know how to word it!

kwired

Electron manager
I would say that, not withstanding running the cord of any item, across an open area, the receptacle should not be so located that anything with a 6 foot cord on it could be "perched" at the tub. I realize that my wording on this is not the best, just don't know how to word it!
I know what you are saying, and I do try to avoid doing that when I can, but some bathrooms are small enough you can not keep the outlet required near the basin that far from the tub no matter how hard you try.

mwm1752

Sorry I forgot to insert the image. I inserted it above but I will do it here also. We all know this may be unusual but I am just trying to make a point. The code states over the bathtub not the decking. The tub is the tub and nothing more. I think we can all agree that this section needs work.

My point on the first graphic I posted was the receptacle by the sink would be perfectly compliant , in all eyes, if it were installed a few inches to the left yet it does not change the safety that many are concerned about.

In an ideal world the receptacle would not be accessible from the tub itself but in many baths that is difficult to achieve

images

Certainly special circumstance (1 in a 10000) like this call for studious judgement -- Its tough to argue general code restrictions in general installations vs special unique conditions. Bravo

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I know what you are saying, and I do try to avoid doing that when I can, but some bathrooms are small enough you can not keep the outlet required near the basin that far from the tub no matter how hard you try.

My bathroom is 5' from the door to the window and 7' from the tub wall to the basin wall with the basin on the right (facing it) and the toilet on the left. The required receptacle is almost dead center between the basin and toilet. At the closest point, with a 6' cord, you would be just inside the tub and also for a swing of about 30-45 degrees either side. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

ShauwnC

In my honest opinion the shower stall is not the decking. We are not enforcing opinion but the NEC. Good reading and helpful in understanding the intent of the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.