Multiconductor cable conduit fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We're already there at 480v Kwired. The transformer idea had crossed my mind however. It's alright though, we have a Plan B.

Carultch

Interesting discussion, this was the wire I was referring too:

http://www.servicewire.com/serviceplex-v2.php

I looked at a few examples of this. I predicted that both strategy 1 (single conductor at 53% fill) and solution 2 (3-conductor at 40% fill) would yield very similar results.

A borderline example where it would matter, is size #2.

3 qty #2 XHHW-2 conductors fit in 1" RMC at 38.36% fill. Which meets the NEC. Probably not something you'd do in practice, but it meets it nonetheless.

However, given a single conductor based on the OD of SPLEX2/3 of 0.81", if you try to fit it in 1" RMC, you get 58.5% fill. OK for a nipple, but not a long run. You'd need 1.25" RMC at 34% fill.

luckylerado

It would of been spun into the cable.
FWIW. I am fairly sure the grounding conductor is not a part of the cable unless it is the same size as the other conductors. If a smaller ground is pulled with this cable off of a separate spool is it now subject to a 31% fill? If it were sheathed?

kwired

Electron manager
There do exist AC voltage systems at 600V phase to phase. They are rare in the USA, but they do exist.
I realize that, question is would it reduce needed conductor size enough to fit the raceway. I guess it is about a 20% change of voltage, maybe it would be enough.

kwired

Electron manager
I found a home and garden forum where a little old lady diyer says a multlconductor assembly has to have an overall outer covering to be considered one cable.

I don't suppose you will take that as an authoritive source?

I am guessing prolly not.:D
You leave my grandmother out of this.

My grandmother can kick your grandmother's behind:)

Status
Not open for further replies.