Square D wiggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD84

I need a good low z tester. This was very useful. I wonder if some of the other low z dvm's would be "fooled" here. Do the manufacturers spec input z? Anyone out there care to share the input z of the meters they may have. I am considering a solenoid vs a dvm vs a simple shunt resistor. Which ones are cat III at 600v?

I don't believe that. Yesterday I was demonstrating that to my son and an electrical engineer who was my customer. The engineer saw the t-pro tester my son had out and commented on the low z feature of it. I opened a load center up , and had the kid test between one of the feed lugs for the ungrounded conductor to the (now turned off) circuit breakers with the load wires attached. Brand new receptacle outlet circuits- no loads plugged into any outlets, he got readings of 115 volts using the Fluke T-pro with its built in low z feature. I put my knopp tester across the exact same points and it read zero volts. Because there was zero actual potential. The both instruments have their good points and their bad points. You don't get replaceable leads with the know, and eventually the leads will wear out. However , there is no chance of a phoney baloney voltage reading where no real voltage is actually present when using a Knopp solenoid tester. The T-PRO will still show phantom voltage readings, low z function or no low z function.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I have a Fluke 117. Low Z input is 3 Kohm, regular input is 5 Mohms. I have been very happy w/ it.

kwired

Electron manager
I have a 116, don't know the input resistance off hand but guessing is similar to the 117.

Low impedance setting allows enough current flow that it will test GFCI's and you do not want to put yourself in the test path.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wish that Fluke would offer this is a US version. :rant: I really prefer have the one probe mounted on the tester because I only have two hands. Besides you can make one lead long for longer reach between testing points.

513497_BB_01_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I wish that Fluke would offer this is a US version. :rant: I really prefer have the one probe mounted on the tester because I only have two hands. Besides you can make one lead long for longer reach between testing points.
That reminds me of my old Greenlee tester, D60 I think. It looked just like that. I loved it. They quit making it.:rant:

John120/240

Can't seem to find in retail,obsolete I'm told, anyone have surplus stock ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

They don't make them because you can't use then on any job that has strict safety rules.

They are no longer rated to do what they did for decades.

This explains why back in the 2000's our SQ D supply house gave away SQ D wiggys. Never really used it, always had the Ideal Vol-Con & it filled the need.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..The T-PRO will still show phantom voltage readings, low z function or no low z function.
Fluke T+PRO has glare problems seeing digital readout in bright light, and buzzer or digital readout fails after you drop it. Open case and see how cheep & fragile it is.

AKElectrician

They don't make them because you can't use then on any job that has strict safety rules.

They are no longer rated to do what they did for decades.

I haven't heard of them being restricted from jobs because of them being unsafe , I was taught that many times people checking for voltage trip shutdown switches with them accidentally (they make a great jumper wire).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I haven't heard of them being restricted from jobs because of them being unsafe , I was taught that many times people checking for voltage trip shutdown switches with them accidentally (they make a great jumper wire).

Don't use them to check hot to ground (not neutral) on a GFCI protected circuit!

iwire

Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.