Cutting Rigid metal conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

What is the best tool for cutting rigid metal conduit? I have a lot of rigid to run with cutting and threading. I have a hand threader that will work but nothing besides a sawzall or a hacksaw to cut it with, In the past I always used a tubing cutter that would spin around the pipe and then with tightening it would cut through the pipe. Is this the best way to cut rigid or are there newer ways to do it?

iwire

Staff member
What is the best tool for cutting rigid metal conduit? I have a lot of rigid to run with cutting and threading. I have a hand threader that will work but nothing besides a sawzall or a hacksaw to cut it with, In the past I always used a tubing cutter that would spin around the pipe and then with tightening it would cut through the pipe. Is this the best way to cut rigid or are there newer ways to do it?

What size are you running?

If you have a lot of threading and cutting to do I suggest renting a power threader.

A pony threader will handle up to 2"

$_1.JPG

As far as cutting I agree a band saw is great, but a sawzal will do it.

arnettda

It is all 3/4 inch. I have a pony threader like in your picture. Paid $500 dollars for it with the case and all dies for up to 2 inch from a retired electrical contractor that got me into the trade. I bought a ridgid Tri stand vise because it is American made. I am about spent for now and if I did not need to spend more right now that would be great.

What size are you running?

If you have a lot of threading and cutting to do I suggest renting a power threader.

A pony threader will handle up to 2"

$_1.JPG

As far as cutting I agree a band saw is great, but a sawzal will do it.

jumper

It is all 3/4 inch. I have a pony threader like in your picture. Paid $500 dollars for it with the case and all dies for up to 2 inch from a retired electrical contractor that got me into the trade. I bought a ridgid Tri stand vise because it is American made. I am about spent for now and if I did not need to spend more right now that would be great.

In that case as iwire said the sawsall is fine. Some day you may wish to get a band saw, but a sawsall will cut 3/4" all day long just fine.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Most guys can't cut the pipe straight enough with any type of hand held saw, so on my jobs you will use a pipe cutter.

iwire

Staff member
I can cut straight and I will leave any dude using using a tubing cutter in the dust. Not to mention all that extra reaming to get rid of the big lip a tubing cutter leaves.

I am sure you can if using a pipe cutter by hand but I am willing to bet Dons crew uses something like this with a built in cutter and reamer

300Compact.jpg

If you run a lot of RMC and IMC it is the only way to fly.

We have at least a couple of these.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am sure you can if using a pipe cutter by hand but I am willing to bet Dons crew uses something like this with a built in cutter and reamer

300Compact.jpg

If you run a lot of RMC and IMC it is the only way to fly.

We have at least a couple of these.

Yes, almost everything is done on something like that.

I also have a lot of rules about how the conduit is bent. One of them is that nineties are almost always "short nineties". Makes it much easier to install and also, since a lot of our work is rework, it makes the rework a lot easier.(assuming we did the original install with short nineties)

aronsen

4-1/2" grinder with a metal cut off blade works great. Straight cuts and much faster than a sawzall.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Most guys can't cut the pipe straight enough with any type of hand held saw, so on my jobs you will use a pipe cutter.

Assuming they get the proper amount of threads engaged in the fitting, how would a cut that isn't perfectly straight affect the installation? I'm curious, because we run a lot of rigid conduit and sometimes we'll use a tristand and portaband for small projects. I know not all cuts end up a perfect 90 on the end with a portaband, but I've yet to have any wire pulling or conduit installation issues come from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.