10 lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

transman2

I have 10 lights pulling 1.5 amps each. 15 amps total what size circuit breaker is required. do you multiply 125% which would be a 20 amp breaker.

JasonCo

If the lights are going to be on for 3 hours or more, take the total amps and multiply it by 1.25. So 15 x 1.25 = 18.75 amps. Which in this case, under a continuous load (lights are on 3 hours or more) you will need a 20 amp breaker.

If your lights are not going to be on for 3 hours or more, take the total amps of the lighting load which is 15 amps. Then go to the code book under 240.6 and find the breaker size that is closest to 15 amps but not under 15. In this case, you have a overcurrent protection device (breaker) that is exactly 15 amps. So that is your answer, 15 amp breaker.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
If the lights are going to be on for 3 hours or more, take the total amps and multiply it by 1.25. So 15 x 1.25 = 18.75 amps. Which in this case, under a continuous load (lights are on 3 hours or more) you will need a 20 amp breaker.

If your lights are not going to be on for 3 hours or more, take the total amps of the lighting load which is 15 amps. Then go to the code book under 240.6 and find the breaker size that is closest to 15 amps but not under 15. In this case, you have a overcurrent protection device (breaker) that is exactly 15 amps. So that is your answer, 15 amp breaker.
Covered in post #2.

iwire

Staff member
I thouhght all lighting loads were consider contionuous

Only loads that are expected to run at maximum for three hours or more OR loads the NEC specifically tells uss to treat as continuos loads must be considered continiuos.

See article 100 for defintion of continiuos load.

We are always free to choose to treat any load as continuos if we want.

JasonCo

No worries, welcome to the forum. :)

What code section would you say applies in this case?

Thanks, really enjoying the forum! Going to turn me into a badass electrician haha

Code reference would be:

Article 240: Overcurrent Protection.
240.6(A) is for Standard Amp Ratings for fuses and Circuit Breakers.
210.20(A) Continuous and Noncontinuous Loads. Lets you know when to multiply by 1.25 (125%) of the load.

mwm1752

Only loads that are expected to run at maximum for three hours or more OR loads the NEC specifically tells uss to treat as continuos loads must be considered continiuos.

See article 100 for defintion of continiuos load.

We are always free to choose to treat any load as continuos if we want.

Arbitrary true to form --:slaphead:

iwire

Staff member
Thanks, really enjoying the forum! Going to turn me into a badass electrician haha

If you hang here you will learn more than you can imagine and because you get to pick and choose which subjects you work on it is a lot more fun than a class.

Its been a lot of years since I was a newbie on these forums but many of the members I learned a ton from are still here. None of us where born with what we know and there is always something more to learn if you want. :)

Code reference would be:

Article 240: Overcurrent Protection.
240.6(A) is for Standard Amp Ratings for fuses and Circuit Breakers.

210.20(A) Continuous and Noncontinuous Loads. Lets you know when to multiply by 1.25 (125%) of the load.

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.