Tap CTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

We have a 800 amp switch gear, we have to do a line side tap. My Question is do I tap before the CTs or after CTs. Poco wires come in from underground land on bussing on Double lugs with one of the lugs empty. Then the CTs then the main breaker. Do I have to tap between the CTs and the main breaker for the CTs to read. Or can I tap between the CTs and were poco lands on bussing. I want to land on that empty lug, but I’m not sure if CTs will read that way thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Will there be a separate meter for the new conductors? If not the POCO won't want you to be giving away their electricity for free. :)

BBEE

Is this for a PV interconnection or another piece of equipment as listed in NEC 230.82? Either way the connection should be between the CT's and main breaker.

If this is a PV system and your interconnected before the CT's the building would never see the solar benefit.

As stated above, if this is for a load you would be giving away free electricity, unless the utility is putting in a another meter for this load.

kwired

Electron manager
If this is a PV system you are connecting you would actually be inserting the energy you produced with your PV into utility system ahead of your meter, and if there is only that one meter there is no way to be compensated for what you produced yet you are billed for all energy you consumed even though you did produce some of your own. Benefit totally in favor of POCO, and your investment in PV is a total waste. POCO may or may not let you know what is up, if discovered.

If you are connecting more load, you would be bypassing the metering and would not be paying for the energy supplied to this added load. Benefit totally in your favor, POCO would see it as theft of services.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If this is a PV system you are connecting you would actually be inserting the energy you produced with your PV into utility system ahead of your meter, and if there is only that one meter there is no way to be compensated for what you produced yet you are billed for all energy you consumed even though you did produce some of your own. Benefit totally in favor of POCO, and your investment in PV is a total waste. POCO may or may not let you know what is up, if discovered.

I found one like this, as you say, you are charged for what you consume.
the kick in the butt here is once your loads get below your PV generation, you are charged retail for energy YOU produced...

BTW, we don’t allow net metering...

kwired

Electron manager
I found one like this, as you say, you are charged for what you consume.
the kick in the butt here is once your loads get below your PV generation, you are charged retail for energy YOU produced...

BTW, we don’t allow net metering...
Does that mean you have a separate meter on the PV? If you tie into same place premises loads are connected to you are going to get net metering out of it whether intended or not.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So they don't care if you send power into the grid, but are not going to pay/credit you for anything that exceeds what you consumed.

we pay avoided wholesale cost.
that’s what the second meter is for

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
We have one AHJ that requires that the PV system be interconnected ahead of the POCO revenue meter and metered separately. For now they pay full retail for kWhs produced by the PV system, the same as net metering. I surmise that their interconnection rules are designed to get around the "I made it so it's free to me" argument in favor of universal net metering.

In all other AHJ territories we interconnect behind the meter whether it is a line or load side connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.