Type MC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Why doesn't type MC cable have a bonding strip? What if the middle of the run was damaged or drilled into?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Because it has an insulated green conductor as the EGC. The jacket is still bonded by the connector at each end and not designed to carry the circuit fault current but I see your point if the jacket itself was faulted by a screw or something.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Because it has an insulated green conductor as the EGC. The jacket is still bonded by the connector at each end and not designed to carry the circuit fault current but I see your point if the jacket itself was faulted by a screw or something.

Without the bond strip the jacket would present a high impedance path during a fault internal to the cable itself.

tkb

It should be bonded on both ends if properly terminated.
So if damaged in the middle, it would have a fault part either way.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Write a proposal for a ban due to the infinitesimal possibility that something bad can happen. Infinitesimal with no substantiation seems to dictate what they'll approve. :rolleyes:

tkb

I will bet if the MC cable is so damaged the the EGC is severed, a bonding strip will not be much better.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The outer shell of armored cable is 5-6X's the conductors inside, thus significant Z dif. In older homes typical with horsehair plaster ,it was not uncommon to find a line of dots , not necessarily rust , from it ~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.