Kitchen Countertop Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Certainly looks like a stellar installation :)
(if you totally ignore 110.26)

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Common in some older homes around here. Farmington, for example, for those who know Richmond.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I've never seen one installed right above the countertop. Is it compliant? There's a workspace issue at minimum.
Not it's not compliant, and that's because you don't have working space. You need floor to 6.5 feet above the floor right in front of the panel, and clearly the countertop is in that space.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen a panel in that shape... It seems like they flipped the guts 90° but then they would have to modify the cover.... Maybe just an illusion.

Agree, not compliant

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It'd be my guess that panel wasn't installed above the counter and below the cabinet.

I'd say the panel was there first and the counter and cabinets got "installed" around it. :)

JAP>

Buck Parrish

Is that near Tampa? Looks like at least some plumbing may have been done un-permitted. They didn't want to spend the money on electrical. Used it on all that tacky tile.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is that near Tampa? Looks like at least some plumbing may have been done un-permitted. They didn't want to spend the money on electrical. Used it on all that tacky tile.

It's in Pinellas County, one county over from Tampa. I don't see any plumbing in the picture. I agree the tile is tacky, but the view from the balcony is magnificent. That's the Gulf of Mexico. I'll let you guess how much this condo costs. I was installing an A/C disco on that balcony. Doing this job raised my depressed covid spirits.
20200727_112136a.jpg

norcal

Not a expert but looks sort of like a riser panel, it is the only reason for that box configuration I can think of.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I don't see anything wrong with it.

Not everything needs to be picked apart.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I have never seen a panel in that shape... It seems like they flipped the guts 90° but then they would have to modify the cover.... Maybe just an illusion.

Agree, not compliant

No, they didn't flip the guts 90 degrees.

That's just the way it is.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician

I think the tile looks just fine.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Not it's not compliant, and that's because you don't have working space. You need floor to 6.5 feet above the floor right in front of the panel, and clearly the countertop is in that space.

And for every code requirement of 6.5 ft in front of a panel to be clear, I'll show that many that have something or other in front of it.

Probably the case in most of our own homes.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
At least the cover looks like it fits correctly instead of the usual half covered.
What are the CTs for?

I'd say the CT's were installed at one time or another to measure current, that is, unless they just put them on just for a place to hang em, which is their choice to do so also.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.