When is code going to change on backstabbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdcowart

Occupation
Electrical license Holder
I hate that code still allows to backstabbing of switches and receptacles. I pull out burnt receptacles, and cracked switches on a weekly basis. plus all the calls I get for receptacles not working because the wires have backed out . Don’t get me wrong it provides me with good paying work, but to it ends up being a safety issue in the end. To me it doesn’t take that much longer to use the screws which is the best. I just believe that this is unfair to the homeowners in the end , having to pay for repairs that could have been prevented.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Problem is that the devices are tested and listed so it's assumed that the connection is sound and that they are safe. It would take some action on the listing level from someone like UL to prohibit this type of installation. That's pretty much what happened a decade or two ago when they no longer allowed #12 AWG to be backstabbed.

jeff48356

YES! I completely agree with you! This is a problem that has been going on for decades, and I wish the Code would have changed decades ago. In fact, when they redesigned receptacles to only accept #14 wire, they should have just eliminated the backstabbing altogether. But a change in Code would be difficult to enforce, as the inspectors do not look at connections on a final; the wallplates are already installed. The only way to address the problem is to eliminate the backstab terminals so they can't be used in the first place; people would have no choice but to use the screw terminals.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is not a code issue, if the device is listed by a NRTL it is allowed. Someone will have to take the listing entities to task if they want them gone.

Roger

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
YES! I completely agree with you! This is a problem that has been going on for decades, and I wish the Code would have changed decades ago. In fact, when they redesigned receptacles to only accept #14 wire, they should have just eliminated the backstabbing altogether. But a change in Code would be difficult to enforce, as the inspectors do not look at connections on a final; the wallplates are already installed. The only way to address the problem is to eliminate the backstab terminals so they can't be used in the first place; people would have no choice but to use the screw terminals.
Inspectors here will sometimes randomly ask you to remove a cover plate and device. Usually they are checking for green ground wire but they would be able to see if device was backstabbed. #14 is not legal here, so everything is screw connected. But I agree backstabbing should go the way of the dinosaurs.

480sparky

Inspectors here will sometimes randomly ask you to remove a cover plate and device. Usually they are checking for green ground wire but they would be able to see if device was backstabbed. #14 is not legal here, so everything is screw connected. But I agree backstabbing should go the way of the dinosaurs.

#14 should have been caught during rough inspection. No need to remove covers to ID it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
#14 should have been caught during rough inspection. No need to remove covers to ID it.
I think that he's saying since #12 is the minimum conductor size the part about backstabbing is moot. Inspectors do randomly check for bonding jumpers to metal boxes or self grounding devices by having the cover plates removed.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Only problem with back stabbing is the circuit feeds though that connection point. Just pigtail and then Stab. Still saves time compared to using screws. And you should always pigtail anyway regardless of stabbing or using screws.

jeff48356

#14 is not legal here, so everything is screw connected. But I agree backstabbing should go the way of the dinosaurs.

#14 wire is not allowed in the state of New York? Not even for lighting circuits? Actually, they have the same rule in Alabama, but they make an exception for lighting circuits as no loads other than lights are on them.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
#14 wire is not allowed in the state of New York? Not even for lighting circuits? Actually, they have the same rule in Alabama, but they make an exception for lighting circuits as no loads other than lights are on them.
New York City has a #12 AWG minimum size.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
New York City has a #12 AWG minimum size.
That's why they are all moving upstate, wild west of electrical.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I hate that code still allows to backstabbing of switches and receptacles. I pull out burnt receptacles, and cracked switches on a weekly basis. plus all the calls I get for receptacles not working because the wires have backed out . Don’t get me wrong it provides me with good paying work, but to it ends up being a safety issue in the end. To me it doesn’t take that much longer to use the screws which is the best. I just believe that this is unfair to the homeowners in the end , having to pay for repairs that could have been prevented.
Do you thi k we should outlaw cheap cars? Cheap phones? Cheap tools?

When does the responsibility fall on people who want bare minimum?

I also highly doubt anyone is finding burnt receptacles weekly, much less burnt plugs which burning can be directly attributed to backstabbing.

I'm asking a serious question here - when has anyone ever backstabbed a switch in such a way that the switch cracked? 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.