Full Size EGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Right. But beyond a circuit length the impedance still adds up, particularly on the hot.
Absolutely, but that has nothing to do with the wire-vs-conduit-EGC debate.

That's more of a sub-panels-and-feeders-vs-long-branch-circuits discussion.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Your occupation says Electricity, not Electrician. What kind of work experience do you have working on conduit installations?

Here are what some EEs say about it:

1619321260779.png

1619321320843.png

I would take their advice and forget about the Z of conduit, but I only care about it in that if a knicked hot touched conduit between two j-boxes that the breaker actually clear.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Anyone do full size EGCs for circuits up to 60 amps?

View attachment 2556327
The EGC is not bonded to the metal box.
What you never size your EGCs to Table 54.3? :p

View attachment 2556329
This table from the British standard is more like our 250.66 it is not used for branch circuits.
The minimum size EGC in BS 7671 for a branch circuit is a 2.5mm2 wich is about a 13 AWG.
The 16 mm2 amounts to a 5 awg.
I will say it is a nice table.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The EGC is not bonded to the metal box.

Even if the ground terminal has a strap to the metal yoke plate?

This table from the British standard is more like our 250.66 it is not used for branch circuits.
The minimum size EGC in BS 7671 for a branch circuit is a 2.5mm2 wich is about a 13 AWG.
The 16 mm2 amounts to a 5 awg.
I will say it is a nice table.

Basically a full size EGC for circuits up to 60 amps, half size beyond that. It guarantees that the EGC will not fuse or melt under exceptionally high short circuit currents or during delayed clearing. Also reduces touch voltage.

The painful reality is that we need to have a discussion about Table 250.122...

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm out of service work at the moment. But I've seen enough to form an opinion.

Here are what some EEs say about it:

I would take their advice and forget about the Z of conduit, but I only care about it in that if a knicked hot touched conduit between two j-boxes that the breaker actually clear.
I think I understand now. If you want to form an opinion based on a bunch of stuff you read on the internet then that's fine. The Cult of the Green Wire has taken over a lot of minds in the electrical industry.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I think I understand now. If you want to form an opinion based on a bunch of stuff you read on the internet then that's fine. The Cult of the Green Wire has taken over a lot of minds in the electrical industry.

The cult exists for good reason. The blunt truth is the NFPA did and does not understand fault clearing, and thus befuddling electricians.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
If you have a metal casing, it should be capable of clearing for a shorting hot. Thats why I think all MC cable needs a bond strip.

b-b-b-b-ut....said casing is wound, and actually 5-6X's the length of it's encapsulated conductors

~Z~ matters , thus the bond strip.....

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.