Grounding Electrode System Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Licata

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
GEC's must land either at the service disconnecting means or any point ahead of it up to the service drop/lateral conductors.

It is aux electrodes for equipment that can connect to items downstream of service equipment per 250.54 for reasons like I mentioned a few posts ago. Note this aux electrode can not take the place of an equipment grounding conductor.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In MA the GEC always lands in the service disconnect enclosure. I have seen deviations from this in NH though.
That is a local rule, not the NEC. In many areas it is in the meter can.

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
NEC 250.66 requires the GEC to land at the service disconnect, unlike supplementary GECs which don't have that requirement.

250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current
Systems.
(A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring system
supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a grounding elec‐
trode conductor connected to the grounded service conductor,
at each service, in accordance with 250.24(A)(1) through
(A)(5).
(1) General. The grounding electrode conductor connection
shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the
overhead service conductors, service drop, underground serv‐
ice conductors, or service lateral to, including the terminal or
bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at

the service disconnecting means

Frank Licata

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current
Systems.
(A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring system
supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a grounding elec‐
trode conductor connected to the grounded service conductor,
at each service, in accordance with 250.24(A)(1) through
(A)(5).
(1) General. The grounding electrode conductor connection
shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the
overhead service conductors, service drop, underground serv‐
ice conductors, or service lateral to, including the terminal or
bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at

the service disconnecting means
So how is it “accessible” in a locked meter trough?

kwired

Electron manager
Are you saying the grounded and ungrounded conductors are ignored?

Roger
It doesn't have to be "readily accessible" Some AHJ's and or POCO's still don't want it in there. POCO maybe has some ability to say this, I think the AHJ's that say so are overstepping their authority in saying this. If they really want it that way they should submit PI and try to get code changed.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It doesn't have to be "readily accessible" Some AHJ's and or POCO's still don't want it in there. POCO maybe has some ability to say this, I think the AHJ's that say so are overstepping their authority in saying this. If they really want it that way they should submit PI and try to get code changed.
Who said it had to be "readily accessible"?

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Who said it had to be "readily accessible"?

Roger
Those that don't want to see GEC land in a meter socket because it gets locked by POCO are indirectly saying it needs to be readily accessible whether they realize it or not. It is still accessible by removing the lock/seal it just isn't readily accessible. Same for if you connected it at the point of connection to service drop - that point generally isn't allowed to be readily accessible by NEC.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Those that don't want to see GEC land in a meter socket because it gets locked by POCO are indirectly saying it needs to be readily accessible whether they realize it or not. It is still accessible by removing the lock/seal it just isn't readily accessible. Same for if you connected it at the point of connection to service drop - that point generally isn't allowed to be readily accessible by NEC.
Never seen it done, so was wondering Implications of bonding G/N at service drop, by doing this wouldn't that then require a 4 wire (in a single phase application) from the service drop, through the meter and to first disconnect with seperated G/N.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Never seen it done, so was wondering Implications of bonding G/N at service drop, by doing this wouldn't that then require a 4 wire (in a single phase application) from the service drop, through the meter and to first disconnect with seperated G/N.
No, the separation of the EGC's and neutrals begins after the point where the MBJ is installed. The neutral is typically bonded to the metal enclosures in multiple places ahead of the the service disconnect so it doesn't really matter where the GEC landed.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't understand your question. I am saying that the connection needs to be accessible not readily accessible
Sorry Strathead, I was directing that at Frank. The reason for my question was if someone says a GEC connection is not accessible in a meter enclosure the other conductors that are terminated inside the enclosure aren't either so how is that allowed?

You and I are in agreement with each other. I said this in a recent thread, "a seal on a meter does not make it inaccessible no more than a lock on an electrical room door does, you might have to wait for someone to show up to remove the seal or bring a key but it is accessible"

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The reason for my question was if someone says a GEC connection is not accessible in a meter enclosure the other conductors that are terminated inside the enclosure aren't either so how is that allowed?
Because the NEC has no jurisdiction over POCO equipment.

kwired

Electron manager
Because the NEC has no jurisdiction over POCO equipment.
Meter socket isn't necessarily POCO equipment. The meter that gets plugged into it usually is - for self contained metering anyway. Yes they do still put a lock or seal on the cover to prevent theft of services, but if you need inside to do some maintenance/repairs they typically will unlock it or in some cases allow you to cut seal and they will seal it again after work is completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.