2020 NEC Handbook problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
Tortuga asked for handbook errata, I think what you posted is just for NEC only not the handbook. Not certain they even have errata information for the handbook.
I am pretty sure that those will work in all versions of the NEC2020 code book. There is no reference to a specific page number, only a cited code, which as I am sure you understand is the same in all versions.

Example:

1. Update the reference in 700.16(B) to read as follows: 700.16(B) System Reliability.

Emergency lighting systems shall be designed and installed so that the failure of any illumination source cannot leave in total darkness any space that requires emergency illumination. Control devices in the emergency lighting system shall be listed for use in emergency systems. Listed unit equipment in accordance with 700.12(F)(I) shall be considered as meeting the provisions of this section.

Thank you for your input.

kwired

Electron manager
I am pretty sure that those will work in all versions of the NEC2020 code book. There is no reference to a specific page number, only a cited code, which as I am sure you understand is the same in all versions.

Example:

1. Update the reference in 700.16(B) to read as follows: 700.16(B) System Reliability.

Emergency lighting systems shall be designed and installed so that the failure of any illumination source cannot leave in total darkness any space that requires emergency illumination. Control devices in the emergency lighting system shall be listed for use in emergency systems. Listed unit equipment in accordance with 700.12(F)(I) shall be considered as meeting the provisions of this section.

Thank you for your input.
There is the actual NFPA 70 content then there is explanatory content in the handbook. I don't think there is necessarily any "errata" data for the handbook itself. Errata for the NFPA 70 content would apply to that content, presuming the publisher never made any mistakes that changed that content from the orignal NFPA 70 that it represents.

Even the regular NFPA 70 you can have later published edition that has had the errata corrected before publishing, or errata that was discovered after publish date and still applies to your edition.

This errata data is supposed to be more about publishing errors and not about mistakes by those that write/change the code.

Occupation
Electrician
There is the actual NFPA 70 content then there is explanatory content in the handbook. I don't think there is necessarily any "errata" data for the handbook itself. Errata for the NFPA 70 content would apply to that content, presuming the publisher never made any mistakes that changed that content from the orignal NFPA 70 that it represents.

Even the regular NFPA 70 you can have later published edition that has had the errata corrected before publishing, or errata that was discovered after publish date and still applies to your edition.

This errata data is supposed to be more about publishing errors and not about mistakes by those that write/change the code.
I believe what you are referring to as the "explanatory content" in the handbook is the commentaries? You are correct, the "errata" doesn't cover that.
Most of the errors I have found outside the errata are what I believe would be publishing errors. They are mostly errors in labeling the articles correctly. Of course, I have found some wording errors as well. Example (handbook pg. 222, 250.118(5)(c) "...(trade size 114)" which should read as "...(trade size 1 1/4)".
I have found way too many mistakes to even count anymore. I was trying to make my own errata to share with others, but I have fell behind in that.
I do know one thing...this irritation of the code book is GARBAGE!! I also know that NAPA is not going to help us out either.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I called them directly, they asked if I was a NFPA Member, I asked them what does that have to do with the garbage quality of the paperback 2020 NEC Codebook?
They told me to contact whomever I purchased the book from. So, they kicked the can to someone else ( Barnes and Noble Bookstore)

My 2008 NEC Codebook is in better shape than my 2020 Codebook

I hope someone releases a pirate pdf version, which I’m against, but I would be able to say they deserved it.

kwired

Electron manager
I called them directly, they asked if I was a NFPA Member, I asked them what does that have to do with the garbage quality of the paperback 2020 NEC Codebook?
They told me to contact whomever I purchased the book from. So, they kicked the can to someone else ( Barnes and Noble Bookstore)

I hope someone releases a pirate pdf version, which I’m against, but I would be able to say they deserved it.

Quality of the physical book could possibly be on wherever you purchased it from. However you can purchase them from NFPA, then you would have been able to say I got it from you and they should still have had further interaction with you on this.

I don't know how these books are published and distributed, but do know from past you can get them from some places, like a supply house, and they might have that supply house company logo printed on the cover.

Occupation
Electrician

I called the as well, and they told me the exact same thing. They also tried to get me to pay like $180.00 to become a member if I wanted to talk with anyone. What kind of scam are they trying to pull?

I am also now having problems with my tabs the color on them has been coming off, making the text almost impossible to read. I ordered a set of the Mike Holt tabs from Amazon for a friend of mine. They look really nice, and very readable. As for quality...I am sure they are better than the ones they sell with the hand book

As kwired said, "...but do know from past you can get them from some places, like a supply house, and they might have that supply house company logo printed on the cover." I have seen this as well.

kwired

Electron manager
I called the as well, and they told me the exact same thing. They also tried to get me to pay like $180.00 to become a member if I wanted to talk with anyone. What kind of scam are they trying to pull?

I am also now having problems with my tabs the color on them has been coming off, making the text almost impossible to read. I ordered a set of the Mike Holt tabs from Amazon for a friend of mine. They look really nice, and very readable. As for quality...I am sure they are better than the ones they sell with the hand book

As kwired said, "...but do know from past you can get them from some places, like a supply house, and they might have that supply house company logo printed on the cover." I have seen this as well.
Tell them you want you $180 back if they don't improve the quality of the products :)

I have bought code book from NFPA site in the past, as well as subscribed to electronic versions of NEC through their site. Did not need to pay for membership to do so, but ever since get constant solicitations to become a member.

You do have to register to use what they do offer for free online - will also get bombarded with membership offers and other things because of that registration.

Occupation
Electrician
Tell them you want you $180 back if they don't improve the quality of the products :)

I have bought code book from NFPA site in the past, as well as subscribed to electronic versions of NEC through their site. Did not need to pay for membership to do so, but ever since get constant solicitations to become a member.

You do have to register to use what they do offer for free online - will also get bombarded with membership offers and other things because of that registration.

I AGREE!! They should give some money back!
I need my code book, which makes it the most frustrating, as I am sure it is the same for others. I would be happy with an exchange for on that doesn't at least separate from the bind the first time you open it. There are some great videos on line about how to repair a book bind.

Ya, they are never going to get me as a member. I wish I could get a .pdf version for this iteration. However, I am still an apprentice, close to testing. I am sure PSI wouldn't allow me to use that for the test. There already might be a debate about all the writing I have in my book to fix the errors.

jusme123

Occupation
JW

I took clear 2” wide packaging tape and wraped the book from front cover, over binding and than over back cover repeated from top to bottom until covered.

Occupation
Electrician
I took clear 2” wide packaging tape and wraped the book from front cover, over binding and than over back cover repeated from top to bottom until covered.

That is funny!! Clear tape is great huh!?!
I use it to cover my soft cover books like Ugly's and Ferms. Been doing it for years. Glad to hear that others do to!
Might have to give it a try on Handbook.

1) I have recently had to purchase the 2020 Handbook twice due to the poor quality of the book. The first book completely separated at the bind when I first opened it. Come on guys! This is supposed to be durable book! Never had problems with the 2014 or 2017 Handbook. I am afraid to open the new one all the way.
2) I continuously find problems with the text in the book like nobody took the time to proof read it. We pay way too much money for the Handbook to have this many errors! The most recent is in 220.14. Somebody forgot to label sections (E)-(H) correctly! So, if you look you will see that it goes 220.14(A)-(D) then again (A)-(D). Where is (E)-(H)?
I have found a few more as well, and I haven't even began to get into the new code book.
Did I get a fake copy???
Can these messed up books be exchanged for corrected versions????

My state Oregon just adopted the 2020 code April 1 of 2021, WOW did the NEC lose all credibility in my book.
The 17 book was a great step forward the titles of articles in different colors, index sections at the start of each article.
The 2020 handbook is real trash, lost everything that was good in the 17 book on top of all kinds of errors,
the ink they wasted at the top of each page could have gone to article headers making them easier to find
plus the wasted ink reduces room for notes and I have a large number of state and local amendments i put in my book.
all that with the worst binding of any code book i have purchased in 40 years.
I am really glad I will only have to use this book for 2 years (i hope) my 17 book is still in good shape after 4 years of use
17 falling apart with 2 months and if I can find errors the editors should really be fired.
Ed Beal General supervising electrician Oregon.

Others have complained that the binding fails and the cover comes off. Truely sad as the 2017 i have is good quality and many of us like to keep the old editions.
Its a good idea to keep the old copies because, in 20 years when code has changed and some hot shot lawyer only has current codes, and is trying to say the fire was because of an electrical installation did not meet code. You pull out your copy of the code enforce at the time then and ask for your time and lawyer fees to be compensated because of a frivolous lawsuit (yes it happens and yes we won both fees and lost time).

kwired

Electron manager
My state Oregon just adopted the 2020 code April 1 of 2021, WOW did the NEC lose all credibility in my book.
The 17 book was a great step forward the titles of articles in different colors, index sections at the start of each article.
The 2020 handbook is real trash, lost everything that was good in the 17 book on top of all kinds of errors,
the ink they wasted at the top of each page could have gone to article headers making them easier to find
plus the wasted ink reduces room for notes and I have a large number of state and local amendments i put in my book.
all that with the worst binding of any code book i have purchased in 40 years.
I am really glad I will only have to use this book for 2 years (i hope) my 17 book is still in good shape after 4 years of use
17 falling apart with 2 months and if I can find errors the editors should really be fired.
Ed Beal General supervising electrician Oregon.
The handbook isn't an official NFPA publication. NFPA doesn't stand behind any explanatory content - it is simply deemed the author's opinion. They do have their name on it though and it is competing with others out there that do have similar publications to explain the code so you would think they would put some effort into having decent quality book, but maybe they rather put effort into E books, and online content?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The handbook isn't an official NFPA publication. NFPA doesn't stand behind any explanatory content - it is simply deemed the author's opinion. They do have their name on it though and it is competing with others out there that do have similar publications to explain the code so you would think they would put some effort into having decent quality book, but maybe they rather put effort into E books, and online content?
The NFPA will not license anyone else to publish/print the book.
It does have a standard legal disclaimer, but its copyrighted by the NFPA and is advertised and intended as a book that contains an exact representation of the 2020 NEC.
The commentary is in a different color and clearly identified as commentary.
The errors and omissions are in the text that is supposed to be the NEC code not the commentary.
Looking back at 60 years of handbooks I have never seen such poor quality.

you totally missed the point that the quality of the book has dropped significantly from the improvements made in the 17 book, the handbook has additional information (in blue) that is the reasoning behind why the authors were thinking. every inspector I have worked and every supervising electrician (master level or engineer in other states) i have worked with has used the handbook for this reason. the blue is the same as an informational note not enforceable by code but the over all use fullness of the 2020 code book took a big step backwards. my comment has everything to do with the layout

kwired

Electron manager
you totally missed the point that the quality of the book has dropped significantly from the improvements made in the 17 book, the handbook has additional information (in blue) that is the reasoning behind why the authors were thinking. every inspector I have worked and every supervising electrician (master level or engineer in other states) i have worked with has used the handbook for this reason. the blue is the same as an informational note not enforceable by code but the over all use fullness of the 2020 code book took a big step backwards. my comment has everything to do with the layout
So you have more issue with content than the physical book itself? I have read threads on poorly constructed books, maybe more so on the paperback version of NEC itself (NFPA 70) and guess thought this was another similar thread.

Your beef is with the writers, which still isn't NFPA directly, all NFPA really stands behind is the NFPA 70 itself which in past has been included in handbook but explanatory content is on the author. Sort of no different than Mike Holt's items he produces - he is pretty sharp and probably correct a majority of the time. But at same time he is not an official NFPA interpretation resource in any way.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The new online version of the code call Nfpa link is similar to the handbook. Here is the standard view and notice the enhanced content and expand at the bottom.

210.4(B) Disconnecting Means.

Each multiwire branch circuit shall be provided with a means that will simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors at the point where the branch circuit originates.
Informational Note:
See 240.15(B) for information on the use of single-pole circuit breakers as the disconnecting means.
ENHANCED CONTENT
Expand

Here is what you get when you expand it.

(B) Disconnecting Means.

Each multiwire branch circuit shall be provided with a means that will simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors at the point where the branch circuit originates.
Informational Note:
See 240.15(B) for information on the use of single-pole circuit breakers as the disconnecting means.
ENHANCED CONTENT
Collapse
A simultaneous disconnecting means reduces the risk of shock to personnel working on equipment supplied by the multiwire branch circuit. In former editions of the NEC, this requirement applied only where the multiwire branch circuit supplied equipment mounted to a common yoke or strap.
For a single-phase installation, the disconnecting means could be two single-pole circuit breakers with an identified handle tie or a 2-pole circuit breaker, as shown in the exhibit below.
201222021519-70HB20e210-01.jpg
For a 3-phase installation, a 3-pole circuit breaker, three single-pole circuit breakers with an identified handle tie or a 3-pole switch with branch circuit overcurrent protection provides the required simultaneous opening of the ungrounded conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.