Tip of the Day...6-4-2021...Length of Free Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All...I enjoy the tip of the day images (and this forum). I reviewed the code section for the 6-4-2021 image and don't see the "Splices" permitted in the code section as shown on the image. Am I missing it? I have always understood that a splice is NOT permitted within the 6 inches. We run into this often. Any comments/code reference would be appropriated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210604 length of Free Conductors 6in.png
    20210604 length of Free Conductors 6in.png
    179 KB · Views: 208

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Without the splice you would not have the requisite 6", is there any specific code wording that would not allow the splice to get you to the minimum length required? I'm leaning towards saying that I do not agree with the graphic.

20210604-length-of-free-conductors-6in-png.2556795

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the conductor is able to be spliced and is less then 6" why do we need to have the 6" rule in the NEC?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I appreciate the code trying to look out for the guy down the road, but, to be blunt, It's a silly rule in my mind.

The amount of wire I leave in a box is all dependent on the size of the box and the amount of room I have in the box.

Just sayin.

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I appreciate the code trying to look out for the guy down the road, but, to be blunt, It's a silly rule in my mind.

The amount of wire I leave in a box is all dependent on the size of the box and the amount of room I have in the box.

Just sayin.

JAP>

If your box is sized properly then that should not be an issue and still follow the rules.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Just a guess, but maybe so there remains 6" even with the device installed, and not have the conductors pulled taught from below afterwards. Like I said, just a guess.
I have never read that section as requiring the 6" to remain after I have made the terminations.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This will be made clear in the 2023 code assuming that PI-1407 continues to pass ballot through the process.
Public Input No. 1407-NFPA 70-2020 [ Section No. 300.14 ]
300.14 Length of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions, and Switch Points.
At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box where it emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection of luminaires or devices. The 150 mm (6 in.) free conductor is permitted to be spliced or unspliced. Where the opening to an outlet, junction, or switch point is less than 200 mm (8 in.) in any dimension, each conductor shall be long enough to extend at least 75 mm (3 in.)
outside the opening.
Exception: Conductors that are not spliced or terminated at the outlet, junction, or switch point shall not be required to comply with 300.14.
Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Public Input
I submitted a 'proposal' in 2008 [3-76 Log #1340 NEC-P03 Final Action: Reject] to require the free conductor to be unspliced, but the panel rejected my proposal.
Panel Statement:(from 2008) The purpose of Section 300.14 is to permit access to the end of the conductor. Whether this conductor is spliced or un-spliced does not affect the length of this free end of the conductor. Many conductors originate inside the box and are spliced to other conductors within the box but extend out of the box for connection to a device of some kind.
Making this change would not permit this very common application. Even the exception to this section states that unspliced or unterminated conductors do not have to comply with 300.14.
Number Eligible to Vote: 13 Ballot Results: Affirmative: 13
However, nobody knows the panels intent and this has caused great stress for the industry; especially when the drywall installer damages conductors, or the remodel to the kitchen or bath results in the wall surface having a backsplash where the conductors (without splice) no longer provide 6 in. of free unspliced conductors. Some inspectors are requiring the
contractor to replace the wiring in the existing structure. Clearly that is not the panels intent but without clear language, the industry will continue to struggle.
Submitter Information Verification
Submitter Full Name: Mike Holt
Organization: Mike Holt Enterprises Inc
Street Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Submittal Date: Tue Jun 02 12:10:44 EDT 2020
Committee: NEC-P03
Committee Statement
Resolution: FR-9233-NFPA 70-2021
Statement: The free conductor is permitted to be a splice. The addition of this text makes that clear and free of interpretation.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have never read that section as requiring the 6" to remain after I have made the terminations.
At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box where it emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection of luminaires or devices.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box where it emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection of luminaires or devices.
Yes and I read that as only applying before I make the splice or connection.
Nothing in that language says that the 6" must remain after I have made the splice or connection. It simply requires me to leave at least 6" when I install the conductors, so that I have that length to work with when I make the connection. I don't have to have the 6" after I have made the connection.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Yes and I read that as only applying before I make the splice or connection.

Nothing in that language says that the 6" must remain after I have made the splice or connection. It simply requires me to leave at least 6" when I install the conductors, so that I have that length to work with when I make the connection. I don't have to have the 6" after I have made the connection.

The inspector that I had to do most of my work under disagreed. He made us leave 6" of 'free conductor' which did not include the end 3/4 inch or so that would be used to make the connection. To him, and I agreed and still do obviously, the 6" was to remain even after connection. He earned the name Code Nazi but I never had a problem with him. I usually left 7 inches just to make my life easier.

By your rationale, there is also nothing in the code that says a ground rod must remain after you have installed one. Does that make it legal to pull it out after it passed inspection?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I can see logic in allowing a splice on a wire less than 6”. Burnt connections where bad end would need to be cut out, and existing was already at 6”. With #14 solid grounds, I have seen them break when twisting for a crimp, leaving them too short.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
By your rationale, there is also nothing in the code that says a ground rod must remain after you have installed one. Does that make it legal to pull it out after it passed inspection?

Huh, I don't see that having anything to do what Don stated. The amount of wire when it enters the box to the end of the conductor should be a min of 6" without splice or not. Just so the wire can reach out 6" from the entry point.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
BTW, If I had a 4" piece in the box I would probably splice a piece on long enough that I had about 3 or more inches stick out out past the box after I folded the splice back into the back of the box. Not required but I tend to leave a fair amount

jap

Occupation
Electrician
BTW, If I had a 4" piece in the box I would probably splice a piece on long enough that I had about 3 or more inches stick out out past the box after I folded the splice back into the back of the box. Not required but I tend to leave a fair amount

And stand back if you loosen the screws on one of his GFI receptacle installs in an existing 1g box ,,, it'll shoot out of there like a rocket.... :) just kiddin.

JAP>

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Ive read that section to mean that I must have 6 inches of wire left once I’m done with rough in for final.
So if I leave 4” of wire at each box and have to add 2” more to make the final 6” at inspection, so be it.
I lose money that way, but it’s the same.

the article doesn’t say BEFORE splices are made..

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I don't see that being remotely close to what I said.

The rule very specifically says there must be 6" so I can make a connection. There is nothing that says I can't trim the conductor to make the connection. However, since it is the panel's intent that you can use a splice to get to 6", it doesn't make any difference.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The rule seems to want the 6" regardless of whether you have to splice on a short piece to make it that long.

I'd rather use 4 inches of unspliced conductor directly to the device rather than create an additional joint to meet the 6" rule that I really didn't need in the first place to make the connection.

That's what's comical about it to me.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.