Tip of the Day...6-4-2021...Length of Free Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The device is installed with proper length cable. Then the excess cable is pulled out of the box so the device is in taught. I have run across this more than once.

The rule won't fix stupidity. :)

Jap>

macmikeman

Nothing but nothing is more aggravating than trying to remove and replace an old (or installed by a carpenter - the usual guilty party) wiring device from a box when there is between 3/4" - 1" only of conductor so you cannot get it out of the box to remove the side screws holding the wire. This is where using a splice for a 6" conductor is the way baby, and a wago for the splice connector isn't a bad either.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I can see this being enforced on new installation rough in. But I've had where on rough in that had enough but after carpentry made alterations or shim out of wall that no longer have enough. I believe most inspectors would allow extension by splice particularly if they saw the rough in. But I can see if you piss him off he might say replace it especially on a new construction. (Pettie yes).

So question for you who do inspection, called in to do inspection on new build, get there and all walls closed and no rough wire inspection done, receptacle, switches and fixtures all in place, tell them open up walls or let it slide?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I can see this being enforced on new installation rough in. But I've had where on rough in that had enough but after carpentry made alterations or shim out of wall that no longer have enough. I believe most inspectors would allow extension by splice particularly if they saw the rough in. But I can see if you piss him off he might say replace it especially on a new construction. (Pettie yes).

So question for you who do inspection, called in to do inspection on new build, get there and all walls closed and no rough wire inspection done, receptacle, switches and fixtures all in place, tell them open up walls or let it slide?

Exactly.
If wires are pulled taught to take out the slack after the device is already installed, then,the inspector has already been there and gone.
The requirement is at roughin inspection when you need that rule the least.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Clamp often seems tight on those boxes, how'd they get slack back into wall? Pliers on threaded part of clamp screw? Still think the wires shrank

I wouldn't think this rule would only apply to NM installations.

I would think it would also apply to Pipe and Wire installs.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
It is worded free conductor in 300.14
Yes it does, but it doesn't say "to allow removal of devices" or something similar. That is what I was getting at - conductors that attach to devices need to be long enough to be able to pull the device out enough to loosen terminations.

Whoever mentioned just twist the device to remove from backstabs - yes that works even when you don't want it to sometimes. How you supposed to terminate the new device without extending the leads though?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Whoever mentioned just twist the device to remove from backstabs - yes that works even when you don't want it to sometimes. How you supposed to terminate the new device without extending the leads though?
grand argument for pig tailing vs daisy chained devices....

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.