230.85 Questions.....I'm confused..

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't get why one would do this. If you use a main breaker panel that is suitable for service equipment then you have met the requirement. Why add another disconnect or are you saying a MB panel will not suffice?
The code permits this so you do not have to redo the grounding and bonding when replacing existing interior service equipment. You can add the exterior emergency disconnect, and simple replace the interior service equipment leaving the GEC and MBJ at the interior service equipment.

Occupation
Electrician
The code permits this so you do not have to redo the grounding and bonding when replacing existing interior service equipment. You can add the exterior emergency disconnect, and simple replace the interior service equipment leaving the GEC and MBJ at the interior service equipment.
This is how I understand it as well. Then you will not have to rewire those existing 3 wire branch circuits to the range and/or dryer.

So is it safe to say you and I are in consensus donresqcapt? We see it the same way?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Was not thinking service change. Thank you

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Why not treat it like a meter on a feeder for a building. Let the grounded conductor serve as the grounding / bonding of the enclosure.
Use PVC from the meter in this case to the em disc. Then PVC to entrance of building, the em disc can not be mounted to a metallic part of the construction.
Keep in mind if em disc watch you distance entering the building or it will change the classification of the em disc to service equipment.
Me myself for now I will set outside and all GEC to there with MBJ and four wire in and separate.
I would only consider the other option for a service Change on an upgrade requiring a em disc. As long as the service panel was not replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.