Still need battery powered lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have dental office they are going to use relative analgesia and its other than hazardous nonflammable.

As I recall that rooms where relative analgesia is used NEC 2017 section 517.63 needs battery powered lights like wall mount battery pack would this be correct or incorrect?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have dental office they are going to use relative analgesia and its other than hazardous nonflammable.

As I recall that rooms where relative analgesia is used NEC 2017 section 517.63 needs battery powered lights like wall mount battery pack would this be correct or incorrect?

Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

That is not typically the type of rule you will find in the NEC. Typically some other document like NFPA 99 or 101 will require the lighting and the NEC only tells you how to wire it.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
That is not typically the type of rule you will find in the NEC. Typically some other document like NFPA 99 or 101 will require the lighting and the NEC only tells you how to wire it.

Huh?

See this thread:

What am I missing?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Huh?

See this thread:

What am I missing?

I have no idea as I am not going to look at some other thread...if you don't like my answers to your questions, then "ignore" me so you don't see them.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
So what if you have more than one room using annestzating locations? You can only have one?
What do you think, code reference 517.63(A) an anesthetic location within the criteria you originally gave as needing at least 1 such device, so if you have more than one location?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
What do you think, code reference 517.63(A) an anesthetic location within the criteria you originally gave as needing at least 1 such device, so if you have more than one location?

Requirement should be met if only one room has wall mounted battery backup? Rest of the rooms are not required to have battery lights even though they use N02 and are anesthiziting locations?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Requirement should be met if only one room has wall mounted battery backup? Rest of the rooms are not required to have battery lights even though they use N02 and are anesthiziting locations?
Read the code. It says 1 or more "shall be provided". It says each location shall have.There is no caveat. I see Each distinct space or room that utilizes anesthesia is a seperate "location", and thus shall have battery backup lighting by whatever means it can be accomplished. Be it a wall pack or internal integral to a balast lighting fixture.
There are other codes that also may play into healthcare facilities lighting requirements as well. Check those also.

Status
Not open for further replies.