Requirements when switches are Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveN

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Great reference. Thanks for sending that. I haven't thoroughly studied the 2020 NEC yet. Both of us being from Illinois, we understand how screwed up our state is in relation to electrical code adoption. Every municipality in the state can adopt whatever version of the NEC that they want. I don't know a single one using the 2020 version. Several suburbs I'm working in are using 2014. Another is still using 1996!! It's really ridiculous that we just can't all follow the same version wherever we work in the state.

WSG

MN elec contractor
Occupation
Electrician & Contracor
Two viewpoints:

---Can not beat the reliability of hardwired switching.

---Can not beat the flexibility of RF switching.

There are many other trade offs when considering the options we have. I use both, depends on the situation.

WSG

MN elec contractor
Occupation
Electrician & Contracor
Forty some years ago I lived in a home that had a Tennessee 1 wire 3 way (rope pull chain) at the top and bottom of the basement stairs for the pull chain at the bottom. I want to say it was several pull chains in the basement connected together to the same 3 way rope.

One day my brother tried to use the pull chain rope at the top of the stairs to swing down to the concrete floor below..
Think he lost few baby teeth on that one.

Just wondering what about a grounded conductor required at each switch box controlling a lighting load?
Or the switch is required to have an EG 250.4(A)(3)?
In my electrical training it was called a South Dakota 3-way. I'm from North Dakota.

DaveN

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Two viewpoints:

---Can not beat the reliability of hardwired switching.

---Can not beat the flexibility of RF switching.

There are many other trade offs when considering the options we have. I use both, depends on the situation.
Good insight. My first nec book is from 1978. I've been a pipe and wire guy for a very long time. RF switches are something that I have hesitated feeling comfortable with. Especially when using them to replace a hardwired switch in a 3 or 4 way application. I've recently overcome my fears when I started using the Caseta product. Ten years is a pretty good lifespan and they can be easily replaced if they go bad. Looking at the questionable quality of some of the wiring devices on the market nowadays, I think the Caseta, in contrast, is a solid product. I'm not yet sold on the addressable light bulbs...

Status
Not open for further replies.