Fun practice Service Load Calc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Did not include the neutral calc or the largest motor.

Feeder:
111.8 standard
73.8 optional
29280 VA

Service:
458 standard
322 optional
175680 VA

2 sets of 4 / 0 THWN Cu in separate conduits

For 3 phase:

Feeder:
125.0 standard
85.2 optional
29280 VA

Service:
339 standard
214.7 optional
175680 VA
I came up with 305 Amps for the optional method.

Konen

Occupation
01 Electrician
Alright guys, so according to this book.
Line: 451A
Neutral: 267A
Who's up for another?

Attachments

• 20220103_173521.jpg
    20220103_173521.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Alright guys, so according to this book.
Line: 451A
Neutral: 267A
Who's up for another?

I think the neutral calc is incorrect. It is using the water heater as 120v load. Although it doesn't state 120 or 240 one usually assumes 240v on the water heater so no neutral load there. I stand by 230 amps for the neutral until I find another of my mistakes.

Konen

Occupation
01 Electrician
I think the neutral calc is incorrect. It is using the water heater as 120v load. Although it doesn't state 120 or 240 one usually assumes 240v on the water heater so no neutral load there. I stand by 230 amps for the neutral until I find another of my mistakes.
Yeah I've noticed that a bunch in this book, they have done it on all the calculations on the water heater loads. I'm taking note and not factoring it a neutral load when I'm practicing my load calcs.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Yeah I've noticed that a bunch in this book, they have done it on all the calculations on the water heater loads. I'm taking note and not factoring it a neutral load when I'm practicing my load calcs.
Is that a Ray Holder study book?

Konen

Occupation
01 Electrician
Has anyone here ever done their own calculation on "Example D3(a) Industrial Feeders in a Common Raceway" in Annex D in NEC 2020. It's throwing me for a loop.

Maybe I'm missing something but they never add 25% to lighting for continuous. And then when they add the adjustment/correction factors for T310.15(C)(1) & T310.15(B)(1) they remove the 25% added to the continuous use dryers.

Side note: Just to make sure, you decide your overcurrent protection before adjustment/correction factors, the adjustment/correction factors are only for calculating the ampacity for the desired wire size?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone here ever done their own calculation on "Example D3(a) Industrial Feeders in a Common Raceway" in Annex D in NEC 2020. It's throwing me for a loop.

Maybe I'm missing something but they never add 25% to lighting for continuous. And then when they add the adjustment/correction factors for T310.15(C)(1) & T310.15(B)(1) they remove the 25% added to the continuous use dryers.

Side note: Just to make sure, you decide your overcurrent protection before adjustment/correction factors, the adjustment/correction factors are only for calculating the ampacity for the desired wire size?
They do add 25% to the lighting (and to the Industrial Process heaters.) 56,600VA * 125% (continuous) + 38,900VA (non-continuous) = 109,650VA...(they've rounded to the hundreds, not sure why.)

And yes, the calculation for adjustment/correction factors should be without the 25% for continuous loads (NEC 215.2(A)(1)(b)).

Konen

Occupation
01 Electrician
They do add 25% to the lighting (and to the Industrial Process heaters.) 56,600VA * 125% (continuous) + 38,900VA (non-continuous) = 109,650VA...(they've rounded to the hundreds, not sure why.)

And yes, the calculation for adjustment/correction factors should be without the 25% for continuous loads (NEC 215.2(A)(1)(b)).
Ok awesome thanks! I see it now for the lighting, they added them together near to top and applied the 25%.

I'm referring to 4th "paragraph" under "ungrounded feeder conductors", when they apply the correction/adjustment factors, they remove the 25% they added for continuous. Is that correct?

Konen

Occupation
01 Electrician
Yes. Per 215.2(A)(1)(b)
Oh I see, so this is another one of the "whichever one is bigger"

Option 1- 215.2(A)(1)(a) The ampacity of not less than 100% noncontinuous + 125% continous (with no adjustment/correction).

Or

Option 2- 215.2(A)(1)(b) 100% of the load with adjustment/correction factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.