Watts from ohms one line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjv0858

Occupation
Journeyman electrician
I'm studying for my masters test and I can't find for the life of me how they got the answer for this question. If someone can explain it to me it would be greatly appreciated. Question #50 in the picture.

Attachments

• PXL_20220622_223618281.jpg
    PXL_20220622_223618281.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 132

Rjv0858

Occupation
Journeyman electrician
I'm really just learn how to do solve the the question, so if someone could teach me how and why we are only using two resistors

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I'm really just learn how to do solve the the question, so if someone could teach me how and why we are only using two resistors
The other resistors are bypassed because there in a path around them.

Imagine a light bulb with the terminals shorted. In series with another load so ther breaker won't trip. That light would never be a factor to the resistance of the circuit

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thats why I am asking the question? Can someone please just tell me how to do it? Thanks
I'll give you one hint. Anytime you have two equal resisters in parallel you can solve without using the formula as the answer would be half the value of the resisters. Example: (1) 40ohm resister in parallel with another 40ohm resister would be 20ohms.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We're not trying to be jerks when we don't just give answers to questions like this because we (A) want to get a feel for how much you do know, and (B) because you learn so much more by figuring it out.

Start with finding which two variables you know to choose a formula to find the solution. Do you know what the total resistance is with the switches closed as explained?

E = I x R
P = E x I

Rjv0858

Occupation
Journeyman electrician
Yes I know all about that , what I didn't know is how to find total resistance of parallel loads. The equation made no sense to me , now I understand it. Thanks for the help

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Yes I know all about that , what I didn't know is how to find total resistance of parallel loads. The equation made no sense to me , now I understand it. Thanks for the help
Your uglys book will have some actual examples showing the math.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Get yourself an ugly's book, if you don't already have one. It has all the formulas and they have them at the hardware store.

Status
Not open for further replies.