Anyone see a problem here

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Good afternoon went out for a service call and came across this.
85d9da94beeab2a07ea6decde52957e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Appears they trimmed the conductors to fit the lugs and if the wiring methods are conduits the whites have no business landing on breakers.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Is this a subpanel? Overcurrent protection at another panel? If so the use of lugs might be acceptable.

Re-Identification of the red wire with tapeing white on undersized (less than #4) a violation. 200.6

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Take a look at the bare conductor on the right hand side. It runs to the bottom and out. The netural tie is insulated and I can not see a bond strap on either side of the netural bar. They do have a bonding jumper from the raceway on the left attached to a lug on the bottom of the panle.
If this a service equipment the netural bar is missing the main breaker and the MBJ.

So what does that bare wire on right side go to and what is it doing on the netural bar if this is a sub panle.
This may be rebonding the netural or could be putting netural current on a pipe or other conductive surface.

As other mentioned where is the netural ( grounded conductors) for those branch circuits.

We need more pics with description.
Whole lot of wrong.
If the netural are in a panle next to it on the right the feed coming from the left. That's not right. You can't use that panle (right) for the netural unless the sub feed comes from that panle.
So what was the issue for the service call?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Is this a subpanel? Overcurrent protection at another panel? If so the use of lugs might be acceptable.

Re-Identification of the red wire with tapeing white on undersized (less than #4) a violation. 200.6
If it is a main panel it's an obvious violation of the six handle rule.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

If it is a subpanel, the bonding jumper between the ground and neutral bar at the top of the panel should have been removed. Speaking of which, where are all the grounds???

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential

Not sure if this is a main or sub panel but wires on each phase are not marked with proper phase tape, missing a bunch of grounds and neutral connections on busses seems to have different breaker sizes for same size wire? Can’t tell if there are bushings

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential

Also not based on this picture but how would you properly feed a sub panel from a main panel?

I seen one application with a double pole breaker on main feeding each phase wire to double pole Breaker on sub panel but I’m sure it should have gone on each main phase lug. Which way does code allow?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What is six handle rule? Is this for double pole breakers
A main panel (a panel fed by unprotected service conductors) that is MLO cannot have more than six switch handles to turn off all the breakers. It doesn't matter how many poles the breakers have.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
There are two white conductors on SP breakers not re-identified.

Also, I'm betting that there is one large neutral from another panel used for all the branch circuits in this panel. I see a larger red conductor marked white.

Last edited:

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'd say the whole thing looks a mess.

To add another observation:
The feeder marked with red tape has a lot of strands missing before it goes into the lug.

As mentioned --- the white wires to breakers are not taped red nor black.

Seems like someone got a deal on red wire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.