Red tagged for voltage drop what gives? (NY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
We were recently red tagged for voltage drop, inspector cited
"C405.9 Voltage drop across combination of feeders and branch circuits cannot exceed 5%" --2020 ECCC of NY
Where is this in the code?
I thought voltage drop was only a fine print note.
It was an easy fix so we pulled in #8's and got it passed to keep moving, but I have always been told voltage drop was just a suggestion or 'FPN'.
Where and when is this in the code in NY state?
Thank you all for your replies.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks, you guys might actually help me not get fired, as I made the call to replace the wire without going thru proper channels, but got the inspection passed and sheetrock is on schedule.
The bosses are freaking out about the man hours and say we only need to adhere to the NEC, this is a small commercial infill in NY.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Where and when is this in the code in NY state?
I'm from NY and never heard of this code. Where does it apply? So how does one determine what the voltage drop or current used in the calculation is?
This was adopted in 2020 and full implementation has just recently becoming fully enforceable.(NYS) That 5%VD reference is in the section for commercial structures so not sure if application also for residential. There is nothing in that section as to how enforcement is to arive at or test for compliance other than assuming the normal method by considering the desired voltage, loads applied (maximum amperage), size of conductor and length of run (for total impedance).These actual value would be continuously variable depending on supply values from the POCO at any given moment.

Residential code there is an interesting requirement for lighting, that 90% of all residential perminantly installed lights shall be high efficiency lights.

ron

The Energy code has been enforceable in NYS and NYC for many years, it just has been stuck between AHJ's to determine who is going to enforce it. You would think the electrical Inspector would call out voltage drop issues, but it is often left for the Building Inspector, as the Electrical Inspector thinks their jurisdiction is only the NEC. Small minded thinking.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I'm from NY and never heard of this code. Where does it apply? So how does one determine what the voltage drop or current used in the calculation is?
I agree with you..
Would the inspector use the breaker rating for the calculation? Demand data??
I’ve seen as I know we all have, many breakers that NEVER will see 1/4 or their rating

ron

If that comes to Tulsa where in a lot trouble. I'm going to look out for this one.
From what I understand, Tulsa adopted the 2006 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) for commercial buildings and 2015
International Residential Code (IRC) for residential buildings, which mostly just has lighting control in that early version.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It was an easy fix so we pulled in #8's and got it passed to keep moving, but I have always been told voltage drop was just a suggestion or 'FPN'.
Did the inspector actually perform the VD calculation and tell you that the condcutors were too small?

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Did the inspector actually perform the VD calculation and tell you that the condcutors were too small?
Yes he uses an app.
Its a long complicated run in a huge old warehouse, and do to a entire panel being removed this one load had to be re feed from afar.
Also due to avoiding a concrete bore thru 18" wall, and re-using an existing pipe run almost 1/3 the way it ended up being 450 (ish) feet of conductor, just under a full spool of 10's.
Its a 3 phase 208 load about 17 amps that is remaining, the rest of the area got demoed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yes he uses an app.
Its a long complicated run in a huge old warehouse, and do to a entire panel being removed this one load had to be re feed from afar.
Also due to avoiding a concrete bore thru 18" wall, and re-using an existing pipe run almost 1/3 the way it ended up being 450 (ish) feet of conductor, just under a full spool of 10's.
Its a 3 phase 208 load about 17 amps that is remaining, the rest of the area got demoed.
did he use the actual current draw to do the VD calc? Or the calculated load? Or the CB rating?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Looks like a whole new area for Mike to include in his courses.

-Hal
The International Energy Conservation Code has been a statewide requirement in Illinois for almost 20 years, yet most smaller electrical contractors act like they have never heard of it.

without a consistent methodology to determine VD just how are they planning to enforce this?
If the NY energy code is anything like the International Energy Code, they don't list a methodology, just a 5% limit. Doesn't say if its supposed to be based on the panel rating, the connected load, calculated demand load, or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.