Transitioning Wire from Interior 2x4 wall Through Back of Exterior Surface Mounted Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I wonder if there would be a way to get the exception to allow for 18 inches of raceway from any direction in the panel not just the top of a panel.
The CMP logs are littered with rejected proposals for this. At this point you'd have do to a peer reviewed study with a worst case arc blast and every combination of 18" nipple would need to be considered, Can I have say a 3" PVC nipple with one 14/2?
Here is another similar proposal:
9-16 Log #2250 NEC-P09 Final Action: Reject
(312.5(C) Exception)
enter the top, back or side of a surface mounted enclosure through one or more
nonflexible raceways or fittings not less than 450 mm (18 in.) or more than
3.0 m (10 ft) in length, provided all of the following conditions are met:
(a) Each cable is fastened within 300 200 mm ( 12 8 in.) measured along
the sheath of the outer end of the raceway.
(b) The raceway or fitting extends into a wall or ceiling space directly
above or behind the enclosure and does not penetrate a structural ceiling.
(c) A fitting is provided on each end of the raceway to protect the cable(s)
from abrasion when a raceway is used and the fittings remain accessible after
installation.
(d) The raceway or fitting is sealed or plugged at the outer end using
approved means so as to prevent access to the enclosure through the raceway.
(e) The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway or fitting and extends
into the enclosure beyond the fitting not less than 6 mm (1/4 in.)
(f) The raceway or fitting is fastened at its outer end and at other points in
accordance with the applicable article.
(g) Where installed as conduit or tubing, the allowable cable fill does not
exceed that permitted for complete conduit or tubing systems by Table 1 of
Chapter 9 of this code and all applicable notes thereto.
Substantiation: This will allow a code compliant installation that has been
allowed for an unknown amount of time. This installation is currently a code violation however the Phoenix and Tucson Metro areas have amended the
NEC to locally allow this installation. I have provided a draft of the resolution
allowing this installation, and the amended text.
and the CMP:
Panel Statement: The installation procedure described in the proposal is one
that CMP-9 voted to prohibit during previous code making cycles (1993, 1996,
1999, and 2005). Connectors or fittings as presented in the proposal are not
designed for this purpose. A connector, bushing or other fitting without a length
of raceway creates the possibility that the enclosure will no longer perform its
intended containment function.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yet 312.5(C) seems to lack an exception for cables in raceway wiring methods. I should probably submit a PI for 2026.

Cheers, Wayne
There is no 'cable in a raceway wiring method' your either a cable wining method or a raceway wiring method. A soon as I am a 300.18 complete raceway installation of EMT of FMC wiring method 312.5(C) does not apply.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
A soon as I am a 300.18 complete raceway installation of EMT of FMC wiring method 312.5(C) does not apply.
I would agree with you if 312.5(C) started off "Where cable wiring methods enter a cabinet, . . ."

But it doesn't. It starts with "Where cable is used, . . ." I'm pretty sure that if you have a cable inside a raceway wiring method, you're using cable. : - )

Cheers, Wayne

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I would agree with you if 312.5(C) started off "Where cable wiring methods enter a cabinet, . . ."

But it doesn't. It starts with "Where cable is used, . . ." I'm pretty sure that if you have a cable inside a raceway wiring method, you're using cable. : - )

Cheers, Wayne
Of course not worded the best but not as bad as my last post! (but you got what I meant).
I have gone down the highly technical discussion with inspectors and chief inspectors long in the past and demonstrated to their satisfaction the intent is either race way or cable.
Why would CMP-9 care if its a cable or wire in the raceway? The intent is to prevent arc blast out of the panel jetting out a open ended raceway past a fire wall. The CMP is presuming as soon as you have a complete 300.18 raceway you good to bring anything or nothing thru it into the panel, the raceway is listed to contain the arc blast.

This is because we had a few jobs where we brought a complete raceway containing, a cable into the bottom of a surface mounted trailer panel, from a basement or crawl space.
The other parts of my argument that a 2" LB is a junction point, between a 300.18 Exception protective sleeve and a complete raceway was the difficult part.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
They say copper expands something like 67,000 times in volume as it is vaporizes from a solid to a gas state. I would not want to be dragged into a courtroom after a fire defending an installation method that has been proposed a dozen times and rejected.
Especially when so many experts are aware its a common code violation and CMP-9 says its
one of the most surprisingly controversial, passionately debated, and exhaustively studied topics in the history of CMP 9”

It also boils down to exterior residential distribution panels are not the best design for lots of reasons besides this one, there are other problems with them, In new builds where shown outside, I relocate them inside if the architect is willing. It does prove difficult with the tend in smaller houses and panel change-outs.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
As the topic of containing an arc blast has come up, there's also 312.5(A) "(A) Openings to Be Closed. Openings through which conductors enter shall be closed in an approved manner." A listed cable connector should take care of satisfying both 312.5(A) and 312.5(C).

So with the nipple method, and some other way of satisfying 312.5(C), how do you satisfy 312.5(A)? I would think an overstuffed cable clamp ought to suffice (it would still close off the opening, even if it doesn't properly secure the cables). But since 312.5(A) requires an "approved" method, an AHJ has the discretion to say "the only method we approve is a listed cable connector connector containing a combination of cables for which it is listed."

Cheers, Wayne

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But since 312.5(A) requires an "approved" method, an AHJ has the discretion to say "the only method we approve is a listed cable connector connector containing a combination of cables for which it is listed."
Which suggests another look at the connector I mentioned in post #7.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
If the rest of the country would switch to the Chicago Electrical Code, this discussion would go away...that code does not permit cable wiring methods. :D
:D
It does not need to be required by code to just use a raceway in residential, just lots of people don't think like that, or they pull all the romex then think about the panel later.
I had a 'tiny' house to do, similar situation as the OP, it was going to be slab on grade so I ran a few PVC conduits for the home runs to various points and stubbed up out of the slab. With the price of NM last summer I think the PVC w/ THWN/THHN pulled in was about the same or less cost.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It also boils down to exterior residential distribution panels are not the best design for lots of reasons besides this one, there are other problems with them, In new builds where shown outside, I relocate them inside if the architect is willing.
I've been saying that for years. It's always the architect who puts it outside because they don't want to figure out where to put it inside, and what do they know about electrical. And it's always in areas where "it's always been done that way". If the NEC prohibited it as they should, it would no longer be a problem. With the increasing use of electronics in breakers, it's only going to create more problems.

-Hal

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
Yeah thats what I do, then your no longer are 'cable' going in the panel, its a complete raceway.

To keep the opening into the stud wall as small as possible.
This is exactly the kind of thing that the NEC is supposed to be designed to prevent. And yet the code does not read the way they apparently intended it to be used.

I can get by with a small 2" nipple (2x14/2, 1x12/2, 2x8/3, 1x6/3). I suppose I can just put in a big wide and shallow J box in the wall with cable clamps for cable entry to the J box from the wall cavity. That should contain any potential blast. The SER should be fine running through the nipple. But do you think that they will call me on running the UF-B from the J-Box through the 2" long nipple? Or do I have to transition to TWHN?

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
This is exactly the kind of thing that the NEC is supposed to be designed to prevent. And yet the code does not read the way they apparently intended it to be used.

I can get by with a small 2" nipple (2x14/2, 1x12/2, 2x8/3, 1x6/3). I suppose I can just put in a big wide and shallow J box in the wall with cable clamps for cable entry to the J box from the wall cavity. That should contain any potential blast. The SER should be fine running through the nipple. But do you think that they will call me on running the UF-B from the J-Box through the 2" long nipple? Or do I have to transition to TWHN?
I'll reply to myself: UF is allowed in conduit so it is not an issue.

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
As the topic of containing an arc blast has come up, there's also 312.5(A) "(A) Openings to Be Closed. Openings through which conductors enter shall be closed in an approved manner." A listed cable connector should take care of satisfying both 312.5(A) and 312.5(C).

So with the nipple method, and some other way of satisfying 312.5(C), how do you satisfy 312.5(A)? I would think an overstuffed cable clamp ought to suffice (it would still close off the opening, even if it doesn't properly secure the cables). But since 312.5(A) requires an "approved" method, an AHJ has the discretion to say "the only method we approve is a listed cable connector connector containing a combination of cables for which it is listed."

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne: How would you propose to secure a cable at a point within the interior of a breaker box? Keep in mind that it's NEMA3 so penetrations are less desirable. I can think of many ways that would be secure, but not necessarily pass inspection. For example, one could epoxy a tie block to the box and tie down to that.
  • CE compliant for quality assurance and complies with RoHS regulations

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Regarding all the non compliant methods, Mike Holt has been know to say
“Code is code. We don’t like the rules we don’t agree with. They are ok for someone else but not if it costs us time and money.”

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
Wayne: How would you propose to secure a cable at a point within the interior of a breaker box? Keep in mind that it's NEMA3 so penetrations are less desirable. I can think of many ways that would be secure, but not necessarily pass inspection. For example, one could epoxy a tie block to the box and tie down to that.
  • CE compliant for quality assurance and complies with
Given the intent of the code, then a raceway that is a J Box to a nipple to the back of the box would be fine. But if one runs SER and UF through the nipple, without transitioning to TWHN, then you're back to the "secure" the cable issue, even though it clearly meets the intent of the code and would isolate an arc blast. It seems that the code should be updated to reflect its intent. In fact, the code could state that the purpose of this requirement is to ...

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
But if one runs SER and UF through the nipple, without transitioning to TWHN, then you're back to the "secure" the cable issue, even though it clearly meets the intent of the code and would isolate an arc blast.
I'd be happy to argue that for SER/UF -- cable clamp -- enclosure -- short nipple -- panelboard cabinet, the SER is secured to the cabinet by transitivity. That is, the SER is secured to the enclosure by a cable clamp; the enclosure is secured to the nipple; and the nipple is secured to the cabinet.

But I think I will submit a PI to amend 312.5(C) to eliminate this ambiguity.

Cheers, Wayne

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
I'd be happy to argue that for SER/UF -- cable clamp -- enclosure -- short nipple -- panelboard cabinet, the SER is secured to the cabinet by transitivity. That is, the SER is secured to the enclosure by a cable clamp; the enclosure is secured to the nipple; and the nipple is secured to the cabinet.

But I think I will submit a PI to amend 312.5(C) to eliminate this ambiguity.

Cheers, Wayne
I agree that it is. I am not the expert that most of you are. But I can see why this is likely the most heavily debated provision. I think that expressly stating the intent, limiting the method of securing to a cable clamp that is at the entrance, and expressly stating that entry through a raceway, cable or wire, is permitted, would help to clear this up. Meanwhile, I may consider the unnecessary addition of transitioning to TWHN in the J-Box to avoid rejection.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Why can't duct seal be used to deal with the arc flash concern for under 250V? That's not its intended use? Has any testing been done?

As far as a strictly code compliant install under the current rules, this kind of thing is a good option. You can get blank 5-gang wall plates.

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/p/Garvin-Tb-535-3-1-2D-5G-Masonry-Box/6252471

As a battery backup guy, I actually very much appreciate it if stuff is brought into a box behind the panel instead of the panel itself. Makes it easier for me to install a partial home backup panel with a separate nipple to the box, and then move the loads around at the customer's pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.