Solid wood between 4 square boxes

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
I drilled a hole in a wooden member of a wall to a large cupbord. One side of its wall has a 4 square box to hold a receptacle and feed another 4 square box inside on opposite direction. Romex 12-2 is fed through hole and I enlarged hole diameter to fit nm connector on back of boxes because cone requires cables to be secured to box and not just pass through box hole

How else could this be done to meet code?

Attachments

• IMG_1939.jpeg
    IMG_1939.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 33

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
I might have used a short piece of EMT and push-on connectors, depends on what's at hand
Should EMT be installed in a hole drilled in wood, terminated to a fitting at back of boxes?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't really see anything wrong with either method. But I'm not one to quibble about whether cable or EMT is secured when it's inside some wood and can't possibly go anywhere.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's fine as mentioned I would have chosen a different connector to avoid removing so much wood.

41NksPkhKPL._AC_.jpg

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Yup that insider connector, or a button connector.

I would drill a larger hole, just big enough for the connector and only deep enough that the connector fits. Then drill a smaller hole to go all the way through for the wire.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
I don't really see anything wrong with either method. But I'm not one to quibble about whether cable or EMT is secured when it's inside some wood and can't possibly go anywhere.
NEC doesn’t do a good job to explain how wiring methods are to be done in between walls or blocks of wood etc

Code says where nm cable enters a box a connector must secure it as far as I know but putting a connector in a surface mounted box keeps the box from mounting parallel to the wall unless a massive hole is made like I did

Or if you plan to use bare THHN between 4 square boxes on opposite sides of a wall, wouldn’t you have to run EMT inside the wall between because it will be outside of code wiring method to just run bare THHN “unprotected” without CONTINUOUS conduit between boxes?

Also what has confused me in that NEC contradicts itself in saying that NM cable cannot be used in outdoor wet locations but nm cable jacket must extend no less than 1/4 inch into a box

With these codes I would start with nm Romex cable in an INDOORS dry location for 4 square box and exit with the NM cable to an outdoor wet located box

One code requires me to have the romex nm cable jacket extend 1/4 beyond the nm cable connector for the outdoors wet 4 square box

IN CONTRADICTION, Another code does not allow the romex cable to extend to a wet outdoors location for this second outdoor 4 square box location so then what do you do?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
It’s fine.

Easiest way is use a plastic nm connector on the back of the box.
I haven’t used plastic connectors because I don’t have these at our company but that’s a good idea. But what do you do if terminating Romex /feeding to an outdoor wet location box since the Romex jacket must extend 1/4 being the cable connector inside the outdoor box but code in contradiction doesn’t allow Romex to be located in an outdoor wet located box?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
I would use a nipple and individual wires.
Would this not be a code violation / improper wiring method either by running bare conductors without a protective jacket such as nm cable Romex, running non continuous conduit, or creat a violation by running “unprotected” bare wires requiring conduit? - this was my questions for possible violations if I chose to run this option you mentioned?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Would this not be a code violation / improper wiring method either by running bare conductors without a protective jacket such as nm cable Romex, running non continuous conduit, or creat a violation by running “unprotected” bare wires requiring conduit? - this was my questions for possible violations if I chose to run this option you mentioned?
Larry said to use a conduit nipple which would mean that the conductors are enclosed in a raceway.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
IN CONTRADICTION, Another code does not allow the romex cable to extend to a wet outdoors location for this second outdoor 4 square box location so then what do you do?
I wouldn't worry about it but if it's an issue buy some UF.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
NEC doesn’t do a good job to explain how wiring methods are to be done in between walls or blocks of wood etc
90.1 Purpose
(A) Practical Safeguarding
The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.
The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.
Code says where nm cable enters a box a connector must secure it as far as I know but putting a connector in a surface mounted box keeps the box from mounting parallel to the wall unless a massive hole is made like I did
I don't see a problem with an over sized hole. Most studs are not structural and the ones that are can still handle a good chunk of meat removed and not cause any danger.
I haven’t used plastic connectors because I don’t have these at our company but that’s a good idea. But what do you do if terminating Romex /feeding to an outdoor wet location box since the Romex jacket must extend 1/4 being the cable connector inside the outdoor box but code in contradiction doesn’t allow Romex to be located in an outdoor wet located box?
We put all kinds of stuff in outdoor boxes that are not wet location rated because the inside of the box is not wet. Fuses aren't wet rated, circuit breakers aren't, switches....

If you want to use a wet location "romex" you can use type UF.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC

It isnt the cable jacket that code section is referring to, its the NM cable itself.

And like Little Bill mentioned, a box or panel in an exterior wall can have NM cable in it.

Remember, the code is a pretty good guide for safe electrical installations, based on years of engineering and observation.

It’s not the Holy Bible, and you don’t really need to nitpick over every little nuance of every word.

There are standard methods for electrical installations, that we’ve been using for decades, inspectors, planners and electricians understand it, and sometimes it might seem like it goes against some wording in the code, but it’s really not important.

If the code was infallible, they wouldn’t rewrite it every three years.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
90.1 Purpose
(A) Practical Safeguarding

I don't see a problem with an over sized hole. Most studs are not structural and the ones that are can still handle a good chunk of meat removed and not cause any danger.

We put all kinds of stuff in outdoor boxes that are not wet location rated because the inside of the box is not wet. Fuses aren't wet rated, circuit breakers aren't, switches....

If you want to use a wet location "romex" you can use type UF.
So if I have an outdoor wet listed box it’s ok to use standard dry listed Romex?

I’m just asking because just in case I come across a code inspector who may object to any small detail