Solid wood between 4 square boxes

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
It isnt the cable jacket that code section is referring to, its the NM cable itself.

And like Little Bill mentioned, a box or panel in an exterior wall can have NM cable in it.

Remember, the code is a pretty good guide for safe electrical installations, based on years of engineering and observation.

It’s not the Holy Bible, and you don’t really need to nitpick over every little nuance of every word.

There are standard methods for electrical installations, that we’ve been using for decades, inspectors, planners and electricians understand it, and sometimes it might seem like it goes against some wording in the code, but it’s really not important.

If the code was infallible, they wouldn’t rewrite it every three years.
Indeed. I’m just wandering how to handle a code inspector who may do just this and object to any codecdetail

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
90.1 Purpose
(A) Practical Safeguarding
The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.
The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.

I don't see a problem with an over sized hole. Most studs are not structural and the ones that are can still handle a good chunk of meat removed and not cause any danger.

We put all kinds of stuff in outdoor boxes that are not wet location rated because the inside of the box is not wet. Fuses aren't wet rated, circuit breakers aren't, switches....

If you want to use a wet location "romex" you can use type UF.
I do understand that a Romex in a wet listed box will not technically be in a wet location within the box but the same could be said about underground pvc conduit where wire is not technically in a wet location within the sealed conduit underground but is considered to be in a wet location according to NEC.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I do understand that a Romex in a wet listed box will not technically be in a wet location within the box but the same could be said about underground pvc conduit where wire is not technically in a wet location within the sealed conduit underground but is considered to be in a wet location according to NEC.
The inside of conduit underground is always wet, maybe not the first day after it's installed but atmospheric moisture and condensation will make it that way over time.

kwired

Electron manager
The inside of conduit underground is always wet, maybe not the first day after it's installed but atmospheric moisture and condensation will make it that way over time.
Well 99%+ of the time anyway.

If you are in a climate that is normally very dry, maybe you don't see moisture in them very often.

I can remember burying a conduit on hot humid day one time - Friday. Come back Monday to pull conductors, pull rope was damp. It never rained over the weekend so moisture was a result of condensation forming in the cooler air inside below grade level. Give it enough time and it will be filled with water to at least a point where it blocks air flow through the raceway, then it may not accumulate at same rate anymore.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Would this not be a code violation / improper wiring method either by running bare conductors without a protective jacket such as nm cable Romex, running non continuous conduit, or creat a violation by running “unprotected” bare wires requiring conduit? - this was my questions for possible violations if I chose to run this option you mentioned?
A nipple, not chase nipples. EMT or rigid. You can screw on the inside lock-nuts after the boxes are in.

I have used rigid nipples through studs with lock-nuts only inside the enclosures to add a genny panel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's fairly possible for the interior of an outdoor box to remain dry, but not for an underground conduit.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
A nipple, not chase nipples. EMT or rigid. You can screw on the inside lock-nuts after the boxes are in.

I have used rigid nipples through studs with lock-nuts only inside the enclosures to add a genny panel.
But what about running individual THHN wires between walls? As far as I know bare wire cannot be ran without conduit enclosing it?

kwired

Electron manager
But what about running individual THHN wires between walls? As far as I know bare wire cannot be ran without conduit enclosing it?
Correct. None of the conductors covered in art 310 are stand alone items and must be installed in raceways, wireways, etc. or be a part of a listed cable assembly and installed per the requirements for that assembly. If outer cable covering is removed that portion basically is now individual art 310 conductor(s).

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Correct. None of the conductors covered in art 310 are stand alone items and must be installed in raceways, wireways, etc. or be a part of a listed cable assembly and installed per the requirements for that assembly. If outer cable covering is removed that portion basically is now individual art 310 conductor(s).
So the only choice if using THHN between walls is to run EMT between walls and boxes with fittings or run a romex cable between wall boxes?

The concern I had was exiting the romex within the outdoors wall within a wet listed box and wet location but many people on this post said this would meet code but maybe this is a gray area in code

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
So the only choice if using THHN between walls is to run EMT between walls and boxes with fittings or run a romex cable between wall boxes?

The concern I had was exiting the romex within the outdoors wall within a wet listed box and wet location but many people on this post said this would meet code but maybe this is a gray area in code
With all the illegal stuff you say your company makes you use, and you're worried about a few inches of NM in an outdoor box?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
With all the illegal stuff you say your company makes you use, and you're worried about a few inches of NM in an outdoor box?
With all that I wrote you pick out only one section? I also said I was trying to get my journeyman’s license. So yes I am dissecting the NEC code