Inspectors interpretations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a picture of a renovation of an old house. The contractor was renovating the entire house.

This picture may not be exactly the same as the OP, but I am thinking it is similar.

recept-wallspace3.jpg

This contractor as well was not thrilled that the requirement is for 2 ft or larger wall space. He complied, I have the picture of his rough in, I will try to post it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If it's missed on rough and caught on final it still is a violation and must be corrected.

Arguments that it is a hall are easy to win,so you say its a hall then i need a light and switch.

The distance starts at door frame and can be up to but not over 6 feet
It follows the wall and even if it wacky 10 inches turns right for 5 inches and returns 10 more that is 24 and requires outlet.

As to if its solid studs, makes no differance ,still required.

Sticking up for a wrong man makes you lose respect.

While your are correct, I try to be as understanding as possible, I go around all day making contractors fix their mistakes I'm not really comfortable making them fix one of mine. Now if I caught it on rough and wrote it up and you chose not to fix it, then I don't have any problems with making you install it. Hey man I stuck up for you with the bar, don't make me change my mind. : ) : )

I think a couple of you guys missed what I was saying. Steelerman, show me in the NEC where it says that an outlet is not required on a 2' wall if a door is installed and will cover it. I said that while I may not require it if I know that a door is going to cover it, doesn't mean that I shouldn't support my inspector if he does make the call, which as I'm reading is being supported by others. Door or no door, wall space is wall space.

I did a final on a house once and couldn't figure out how my inspector missed so many receptecales. Then I got to the truth, oh we changed the kitchen layout, oh yeah we didn't put a closet there, we moved the door, etc. They were hating life, especially since it was a solid granite back splash in the kitchen.

Last edited:

stickboy1375

I did a final on a house once and couldn't figure out how my inspector missed so many receptecales. Then I got to the truth, oh we changed the kitchen layout, oh yeah we didn't put a closet there, we moved the door, etc. They were hating life, especially since it was a solid granite back splash in the kitchen.

I like going back to those jobs as well... :roll: All I can do is shake my head. My first question is, "Why didnt you call me?" Always get the deer in the headlight reaction.

steelersman

Steelerman, show me in the NEC where it says that an outlet is not required on a 2' wall if a door is installed and will cover it. I said that while I may not require it if I know that a door is going to cover it, doesn't mean that I shouldn't support my inspector if he does make the call, which as I'm reading is being supported by others. Door or no door, wall space is wall space.

Man you've got me confused. I don't see how but you do. I'm with the crowd that says that you need the outlet on a wall that is 2 feet! You were saying that you would back up the inspector even when he was wrong! I also said that a door and the way it swings has nothing to do with it. And for what it's worth, I've never had the mindset that if a door is going to hide an outlet that it shouldn't be required. Time for you to re-read the posts. :)

Jim W in Tampa

While your are correct, I try to be as understanding as possible, I go around all day making contractors fix their mistakes I'm not really comfortable making them fix one of mine. Now if I caught it on rough and wrote it up and you chose not to fix it, then I don't have any problems with making you install it. Hey man I stuck up for you with the bar, don't make me change my mind. : ) : )

I think a couple of you guys missed what I was saying. Steelerman, show me in the NEC where it says that an outlet is not required on a 2' wall if a door is installed and will cover it. I said that while I may not require it if I know that a door is going to cover it, doesn't mean that I shouldn't support my inspector if he does make the call, which as I'm reading is being supported by others. Door or no door, wall space is wall space.

I look at it this way. You as inspector can not catch every violation. Would prefer you catch a missed outlet on the rough. Me as the electrician have the duty of making a code compliant install. Even if outlet was missed on the print it is my job to call it to attention.
In todays world we must think past the inspection passed and got our final. When that house gets sold and the HI catches it we both look bad. End result is the EC will be forced into fixing and likely for free.
Had far too many GC change and add after i pass rough and trust me they will try to blame it on the EC. I always keep the print i wired it from and note changes.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Man you've got me confused. I don't see how but you do. I'm with the crowd that says that you need the outlet on a wall that is 2 feet! You were saying that you would back up the inspector even when he was wrong! I also said that a door and the way it swings has nothing to do with it. And for what it's worth, I've never had the mindset that if a door is going to hide an outlet that it shouldn't be required. Time for you to re-read the posts. :)

The reason you're confused is becuase that's not what I was saying. What I said was, while I may not call that, if one of my inspectors did, I would back him. Meaning just because I may let it go don't call me and try to get me to override one of my inspectors. Now are we on the same page?

And I didn't feel like going back and rereading a month old thread:smile:

And I will say this Jim, you sure have changed your tune about inspectors since I first joined.

steelersman

The reason you're confused is becuase that's not what I was saying. What I said was, while I may not call that, if one of my inspectors did, I would back him. Meaning just because I may let it go don't call me and try to get me to override one of my inspectors. Now are we on the same page?

And I didn't feel like going back and rereading a month old thread:smile:

And I will say this Jim, you sure have changed your tune about inspectors since I first joined.
So are you telling me that if one of your inspectors wanted me to place the only outlet that's required for a 6 foot wall behind a door (because for some reason that's the way he wants it) then you you would back him up on that, after I go above his head to you and complain about him requiring things from me that aren't in the code?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So are you telling me that if one of your inspectors wanted me to place the only outlet that's required for a 6 foot wall behind a door (because for some reason that's the way he wants it) then you you would back him up on that, after I go above his head to you and complain about him requiring things from me that aren't in the code?

We are definitly not on the same page. I'll send you an IM.

Status
Not open for further replies.